Tyrone V Kildare

Started by rrhf, March 24, 2011, 10:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on April 01, 2011, 09:44:44 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 01, 2011, 09:25:41 PM
I'd say that there are about 5 or 6 of the U21s that could push the more established players this year, with genuine shouts for full Senior inclusion - no bad thing at all.

I think that's generous. Can really only see Harte being anywhere near that level.

And I think that's mean, ya curmudgeon ya!  ;)

Peter Harte a certainty, Niall Mc Kenna for another, and if the likes of Coney, Girvan, Mc Niece, and one or two more can scale the senior peak before the Championship is out you never know (always assuming they make the panel, of course).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I know what you're saying but when I look at the senior forward options - Colm, Sean, Brian McG, Brian Dooher, Penrose, O'Neill, Mulligan, maybe Tommy McG, Joe McM and Enda McG and I don't see Coney et al being anywhere near breathing down their collective neck. But sure I'm a pessimistic hoor as you well know.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on April 01, 2011, 10:28:49 PM
But sure I'm a pessimistic hoor as you well know.

I'll concede that much  ;)

Somewhere in the middle no doubt!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on April 01, 2011, 10:28:49 PM
I know what you're saying but when I look at the senior forward options - Colm, Sean, Brian McG, Brian Dooher, Penrose, O'Neill, Mulligan, maybe Tommy McG, Joe McM and Enda McG and I don't see Coney et al being anywhere near breathing down their collective neck. But sure I'm a pessimistic hoor as you well know.

In one way I can see the merit in what you are saying RE Kyle but to be fair to the lad he hasn't exactly got much of a chance to show if he is up to the level or not.  He would be a better scorer from distance than any of the players mentioned above, which has to be a consideration against the likes of Cork and Dublin who I would think will be there at the business end, and more likely to get on the score sheet than all those listed bar mugsy, O'Neill and Penrose.

omagh_gael

I think you're right Loughshorelad. Scoring from distance is key in the modern game. All teams have cottoned onto Tyrone's strategy of freeing up the middle channel around the 'D' to allow the option for high percentage scores. These areas are now packed and, as like Dublin last year, when we were forced to take on the more difficult shots we were let down a bagfull by wayward shooting.

This is were Kyle could be a saviour as we've all seen his incredible abilitiy to score magnificent long range scores. No matter how well you organise your defense it's almost impossible to prevent a skillful forward from scoring out round the '40. I have my fingers crosSed that he'll get a good run in the u-21's as he appears to be a lad who thrives on confidence, much like SoN. Wouldn't itnbe great to see Kyle throwing them over for the seniors like he did against Meath in the 2nd half in the minor semi final in 08.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: loughshore lad on April 01, 2011, 09:04:20 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on April 01, 2011, 08:55:51 PM
A settled looking team all right, but what does that mean? There is definetly a distinct lack of pace in the half back line.

Good point.

The team was relatively settled last year and like 2009 came up short.  The U21's are obviously not available and you would hope a few of them will maybe push on and give serious options as the year progresses.

I share these concerns. It is a settled looking team and it's full of excellent players and packed with experience. It is however as loughshore lad much the settled team that fell short over the past two summers. I sometimes think we make too much of the players being veterans - yes the 97/98 minors have a lot of miles on the clock but they are only 30/31 and have a lot to give - but I do feel we need to add more youth and have a better all round balance.

I don't agree that only Petey Harte of the 2008 team is ready to step up either, there are a few more there who need games with the seniors and if they get them will improve the panel. If we think back to the start of the last decade loads of the 97/98 minors were already established on the senior panel within the next 2 or 3 years. I'm sure giving them that experience early on and putting faith in them helped their development enormously. I do worry we failed to bring on the 2004 talent as we could have and might be in danger of doing the same thing with the 2008 boys. Tyrone have a great opportunity here to fuse the experienced lads of the past few years with the best of this new generation, need to ensure we don't miss the boat with that. I'm still hopeful Mickey will bring a few more lads through before the season is out. For what it's worth I would have liked to have seen Coney in the league games already,potentially he brings more of a scoring threat than anybody on the senior team bar SON.

drici

Tyrone v Kildare
2-30pm   Dungannon
David Coldrick

Donnellys Hollow

Where's the pitch in Dungannon lads?

Presume the best route from the south is to turn off at Newry and go via Armagh city
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Gaffer

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 02, 2011, 05:56:04 PM

Presume the best route from the south is to turn off at Newry and go via Armagh city

Thats right and head onto Moy then Dungannon. Best thing I can say then is as you head into Dungannon the pitch is in a north west direction. Point your car in that direction and you ll pick up the traffic for the  match. Not a big town so you ll have little bother
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Gaffer on April 02, 2011, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 02, 2011, 05:56:04 PM

Thats right and head onto Moy then Dungannon. Best thing I can say then is as you head into Dungannon the pitch is in a north west direction. Point your car in that direction and you ll pick up the traffic for the  match. Not a big town so you ll have little bother

Thank you sir
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ExiledGael

Where exactly is the pitch in Dungannon, know the bus depot and Stangmore Park on the road to Belfast? Where do I go from either of these?

hassletravel

Hopefully there is a minutes silence tmw for young Kerr, I'm sure it'll get the respect it deserves
why travel direct

Dinny Breen

Hard to get excited about this game now but hopefully both sides put on a good performance and football is the winner.
#newbridgeornowhere

omagh_gael

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 03, 2011, 12:51:54 PM
Hard to get excited about this game now but hopefully both sides put on a good performance and football is the winner.

Hear hear Dinny. Puts things into perspective. It pains me to think the scum who killed young Ronan are free to go about their lives and Ronan can no longer enjoy things like going to the football. So sad.