Tyrone V Kildare

Started by rrhf, March 24, 2011, 10:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Can the Kildare men give us a run down on the Kildare FF line? I suppose we know what Doyle is all about - might suit Joe McMahon. What can we expect from Flynn and Kelly?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

Suprised you are not aware of Daryl Flynn - he was one of the stand out midfielders in Ireland last year and probably Kildare's player of the year, expect him to start in midfield if not he'll probably move there at some stage. Rob Kelly is a star in the making - missed most of last season through injury although made an appearance in the AI semi, it was his shot at the death that almost won it for Kildare, good pace for a big man and an excellent ball winner, he's very comfortable on the ball. Played very well for UCD in the Sigerson this year and was Kildare's best player against Meath. Like most players these days two footed, would like to see be more aggressive and work a little harder off the ball. 
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

What I mean is Flynn at FF - what does he offer there if he stays?

Dinny Breen

I don't think he offers a whole lot expect ball winning ability, he looks uncomfortable in there and his temperament is not suited to full forward,  just can't see him staying in there to be honest.
#newbridgeornowhere

loughshore lad

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2011, 04:32:44 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 31, 2011, 04:14:02 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2011, 03:15:37 PM
DH - if they played Flanagan at chb thy might see the best of him...
I'm not sure Brian's distribution is good enough for this level LB. There's nobody as brave or as committed but he could be squeezed out of the team when everybody is back fit. Morgan Flaherty and Emmet Bolton are fairly certain to start on the wings. Flan might lose out to Gary White or Éamonn Callaghan come the summer.
Arthur Guinness was a Celbridge man.
a proper stopper is what I like at chb
kildare have enough on the wings if the other two lads are fit and allow flanagan to man the house.
Dinny - kildare out puked the red arses last year - that kind of cynicism while not for the purists was exactly what I'd love Derry to do - plus kildares forwards love that kind of room to run at defenses - kind of the same tactic as Dublin use though kildare use three/four as opposed to the Dubs 2.

Sure they did it for 2 years under the previous manager and were still not up to it  ;D

Donnellys Hollow

I find it hard to believe that's the Kildare team that will start. If Flynn does play at full-forward it's confirmation that Kildare couldn't care less about promotion.

I'd expect him to start at midfield with either Jimmers or Smithy coming into the forwards. Tomás Moolick is a fine prospect but he's very raw at this level and I think this could be a bit too soon for him. I've a hunch that McGeeney wanted to ease Flynner back in after his suspension (a smart move to keep him out of trouble in two keenly contested local derbys) and wanted a better look at Paudie, Moolick and Hughie Lynch. If Kildare were going gung-ho for promotion, the logical selection would have been Flynner and Roli midfield, with Paudie in the half-forwards. Morgan Flats will probably start in place of Flanagan with Chalky going to the centre. Leper is still struggling with his knock and should be kept in reserve.

Looking forward to see how Rob Kelly gets on against Tyrone. He won't get the space he was afforded against Meath and Laois. He reminds me a lot of Karl O'Dwyer. He's not the quickest but he is brilliant at making space for himself and he is very accurate off both feet.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Fuzzman

Yes that Tyrone team has got a strong settled look about it and with McGinley, Dooher, Justy, Jordan/Katie Price pushing to get in the team along with the U21 lads I think things are shaping up rightly.
It will be interesting to see who Mickey springs from the bench if we're not winning come the 2nd half.
Will he turn to his youth or his older wiser heads

I wonder does Joey worry that he needs to be careful he doesn't make that position his own now and is Justy praying he will.

rrhf

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 31, 2011, 06:33:28 PM
LB, Flanagan was imho our poorest performing back last year when his pace, positioning and distribution was all questionable from game to game. And reports are he has regressed even more this year, I liked to see O'Callaghan there myself personally.
We certainly aren't at the same standard as in the championship last year but we have improved in the league with a point more with 2 games left this year compared to the 7 games last year. McGeeney's approach has been all about improving step by step and we generally have a good record against Ulster sides and I think we perform better away from the confined spaces of Newbridge. Sunday will be tight but I fancy Kildare to get something out of it, very little pressure on us.
yes Dinny- when he was played (imo) out of position on the wing - he should be in th emiddle and have bolton on the wing
imo
until I see the team list, i'll not know for certai, but youd better hope that Kildare have replaced at least 7 of their team that faced Derry - not up to it (yet at least)

cadhlancian

A settled looking team all right, but what does that mean? There is definetly a distinct lack of pace in the half back line.

loughshore lad

Quote from: cadhlancian on April 01, 2011, 08:55:51 PM
A settled looking team all right, but what does that mean? There is definetly a distinct lack of pace in the half back line.

Good point.

The team was relatively settled last year and like 2009 came up short.  The U21's are obviously not available and you would hope a few of them will maybe push on and give serious options as the year progresses.

ONeill

Peter Harte could give Davy a run for his money this year. His pace would be welcome too.

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on April 01, 2011, 09:10:39 PM
Peter Harte could give Davy a run for his money this year. His pace would be welcome too.

Yes he could, his pace would be most welcome.  Fine player.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'd say that there are about 5 or 6 of the U21s that could push the more established players this year, with genuine shouts for full Senior inclusion - no bad thing at all.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 01, 2011, 09:25:41 PM
I'd say that there are about 5 or 6 of the U21s that could push the more established players this year, with genuine shouts for full Senior inclusion - no bad thing at all.

I think that's generous. Can really only see Harte being anywhere near that level.