Armagh v Kerry 20/3/11 2.30pm Athletic Grounds

Started by anportmorforjfc, March 15, 2011, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Any news on which Cross players are going to come in? Obviously AK,Hearty and Clarke. Will Morgan, P McKeown and D McKenna come in?
Would like to see McKenna get a run in the HF line. He has the height to help out in the MF area, has pace and can take a score. He has, however, never really looked to be interested in playing for the county. Dunno whether this was down to ongoing injury concerns or apathy??
If he's willing I'd definitely want to look at him. Not convinced that McKeown or Morgan can nail down one of the CB slots but they are certainly worth a look also.
Franny Hanratty seems to have gone backwards recently and probably won't make much of a difference to us.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

theterminator

Quote from: orchard 8195 on March 22, 2011, 03:35:24 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 22, 2011, 02:06:32 PM

It's quite a step from scoring forward at club level to consistent scorer at county level - particularly in the upper echelons. miceal o'rourke is another case in point - a scoring machine for his club including 1-06 or something in the county final - but hasn't transferred that to county level yet. It's probably players like these that need the most patients in terms of performance to see if they can establish confidence, which is the key component all scoring forwards have in common. any time i see swift for the harps he looks like scoring every time he gets the ball. obviously marking and overall defending is better at county level but eventually class will shine through if the work rate is there.

MOR does lack pace however he still seems to get out in front for the ball but is thinking what to do with it before he has it in hands. Also when he makes mistakes u can physically see the confidence drain from him. When he was played against monaghan at chf he had a v good game yet against down he was switched into the corner. I think he should have been persisted with in the half forward line in place of the likes of BJP. Still think Micheal has something to offer us however dont see much hope for the rest of the subs when cross contingent come back.

Ive watched a few of armaghs games this year and as an outsider there is absolutely zero style of play going forward...what exactly are the tactics? A good manager will design a style/system of play that gets the most out of his forwards when have the ball...armagh dont do this. How is someone supposed to make an impact as a forward when at times there is only 2 or 3 armagh players in the whole opposition half and a big high ball is hoofed up into the direction of the half forward line for them to do someting with? what do you expect? as you say, forwards are confidence players but armagh arent exactly getting the most out of the likes of swift and miceal orourke by leaving them so isolated and nmo support then when they get the ball

crossfire

Quote from: regal on March 22, 2011, 11:32:44 AM
Quote from: regal on March 22, 2011, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: gander on March 22, 2011, 11:16:15 AM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on March 22, 2011, 10:52:18 AM
I have always been a fan of stephen Kernan, he certainly offers a lot more than most of our current forwards. My team for the down game would be

Mc Evoy
Moriarity, Donaghy, Mallon
Dyas, Mc Keever, A Kernan
Vernon, Toner
Swift, S Kernan, Duffy
Stevie, R Clarke, J Clarke

If R Clarke not fit, would pull in billie Joe to collect lose ball around the middle and play a 2 man FF line of stevie & Jamie

I would have Hearty in for McEvoy, think his kickouts are better and hes better under the high ball imo.  What about trying Padden in full forward in the next league games, think he played there in the past for Mayo and he's capable of winning ball.

I think Billy Joe also played in the full back line, half back line, midfield, half forward line and full forward line before mayo eventually found a position for him.

Where.? On the transfer list.  ;)

mountainboii

Quote from: theterminator on March 22, 2011, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: orchard 8195 on March 22, 2011, 03:35:24 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 22, 2011, 02:06:32 PM

It's quite a step from scoring forward at club level to consistent scorer at county level - particularly in the upper echelons. miceal o'rourke is another case in point - a scoring machine for his club including 1-06 or something in the county final - but hasn't transferred that to county level yet. It's probably players like these that need the most patients in terms of performance to see if they can establish confidence, which is the key component all scoring forwards have in common. any time i see swift for the harps he looks like scoring every time he gets the ball. obviously marking and overall defending is better at county level but eventually class will shine through if the work rate is there.

MOR does lack pace however he still seems to get out in front for the ball but is thinking what to do with it before he has it in hands. Also when he makes mistakes u can physically see the confidence drain from him. When he was played against monaghan at chf he had a v good game yet against down he was switched into the corner. I think he should have been persisted with in the half forward line in place of the likes of BJP. Still think Micheal has something to offer us however dont see much hope for the rest of the subs when cross contingent come back.

Ive watched a few of armaghs games this year and as an outsider there is absolutely zero style of play going forward...what exactly are the tactics? A good manager will design a style/system of play that gets the most out of his forwards when have the ball...armagh dont do this. How is someone supposed to make an impact as a forward when at times there is only 2 or 3 armagh players in the whole opposition half and a big high ball is hoofed up into the direction of the half forward line for them to do someting with? what do you expect? as you say, forwards are confidence players but armagh arent exactly getting the most out of the likes of swift and miceal orourke by leaving them so isolated and nmo support then when they get the ball

You're not far wrong. We can try as many different players as can be found, but little will change without a revolution in forward play. Movement and support play is pathetic in comparison to our competitors.

new devil

Whats the story with J Murtagh has he signed with a Dublin club? I heard he got a years supply of just for men...Probably bullshit thou

orchard 8195

Quote from: new devil on March 23, 2011, 05:22:16 AM
Whats the story with J Murtagh has he signed with a Dublin club? I heard he got a years supply of just for men...Probably bullshit thou

heard myself he was getting rightly looked after by parnells but probably lies as u say,

new devil

He most still think he's in NY hooring himself out to clubs  :P