Armagh v Kerry 20/3/11 2.30pm Athletic Grounds

Started by anportmorforjfc, March 15, 2011, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Imposerous on March 21, 2011, 10:23:08 PM
FFS, Kyle Carragher is a more natural scoring forward than any of our sub (and some current starters) and he doesn't even start for Cross.

Henderson, Forker, Toal & Tasker for varying reasons are unavailable -  an awful pity that talent like this can't be called upon. 

While he had an average McKenna Cup I'd like to have seen McParland get A bitleague time.

I reckon that for one reason or another on Sunday Armagh were missing the following players who have played as forwards in the league or championship in the last three years: S Kernan, A Kernan, T Kernan, J Clarke, R Clarke, f Hanratty, J Feeney, S Forker, R henderson, P Toal and Martin O'Rourke. That is nearly two sets of forwards, 8 of which would be good scorers. How can a county as small as Armagh cope with this?

illdecide

Quote from: Throw ball on March 22, 2011, 01:27:21 AM
FFS, Kyle Carragher is a more natural scoring forward than any of our sub (and some current starters) and he doesn't even start for Cross.

Henderson, Forker, Toal & Tasker for varying reasons are unavailable -  an awful pity that talent like this can't be called upon. 

While he had an average McKenna Cup I'd like to have seen McParland get A bitleague time.

I reckon that for one reason or another on Sunday Armagh were missing the following players who have played as forwards in the league or championship in the last three years: S Kernan, A Kernan, T Kernan, J Clarke, R Clarke, f Hanratty, J Feeney, S Forker, R henderson, P Toal and Martin O'Rourke. That is nearly two sets of forwards, 8 of which would be good scorers. How can a county as small as Armagh cope with this?

Have u not seen our results...we're not coping
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BerfArmagh

I have always been a fan of stephen Kernan, he certainly offers a lot more than most of our current forwards. My team for the down game would be

Mc Evoy
Moriarity, Donaghy, Mallon
Dyas, Mc Keever, A Kernan
Vernon, Toner
Swift, S Kernan, Duffy
Stevie, R Clarke, J Clarke

If R Clarke not fit, would pull in billie Joe to collect lose ball around the middle and play a 2 man FF line of stevie & Jamie

Throw ball

Quote from: illdecide on March 22, 2011, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on March 22, 2011, 01:27:21 AM

Have u not seen our results...we're not coping

I agree - that is why I put in the question mark!

gander

Quote from: BerfArmagh on March 22, 2011, 10:52:18 AM
I have always been a fan of stephen Kernan, he certainly offers a lot more than most of our current forwards. My team for the down game would be

Mc Evoy
Vernon, Toner
Swift, S Kernan, Duffy

If R Clarke not fit, would pull in billie Joe to collect lose ball around the middle and play a 2 man FF line of stevie & Jamie

I would have Hearty in for McEvoy, think his kickouts are better and hes better under the high ball imo.  What about trying Padden in full forward in the next league games, think he played there in the past for Mayo and he's capable of winning ball.

regal

Quote from: gander on March 22, 2011, 11:16:15 AM

Mc Evoy
Vernon, Toner
Swift, S Kernan, Duffy

I would have Hearty in for McEvoy, think his kickouts are better and hes better under the high ball imo.  What about trying Padden in full forward in the next league games, think he played there in the past for Mayo and he's capable of winning ball.

regal

Quote from: regal on March 22, 2011, 11:29:35 AM

Mc Evoy
Vernon, Toner
Swift, S Kernan, Duffy

I think Billy Joe also played in the full back line, half back line, midfield, half forward line and full forward line before mayo eventually found a position for him.

orchard 8195

Does anyone else think that BJP wouldnt be on the panel if he had played for cruppen all his life and wasnt from mayo. Hasnt impressed me at all bar a good point against dublin and the first 10 mins on sun where he was playing as a freeman. if you cant look decent in that role with no marker to worry about theres something wrong. Just suprises me when ppl are still mentioning him as a possibility when the cross boys are back.

DuffleKing

Quote from: regal on March 22, 2011, 11:32:44 AM
Quote from: regal on March 22, 2011, 11:29:35 AM

Mc Evoy
Vernon, Toner
Swift, S Kernan, Duffy

I think Billy Joe also played in the full back line, half back line, midfield, half forward line and full forward line before mayo eventually found a position for him.

On the bench?

Orior

I have yet to see Swift boss play well for Armagh. I'd also like to see him strut around a bit more, and look like he is going to score 1-6. Maybe I just dont know him.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Who are the wans who sat on the roof of their house to watch the match?

Let get Health & Safety on the job.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BerfArmagh

Quote from: Orior on March 22, 2011, 12:41:11 PM
I have yet to see Swift boss play well for Armagh. I'd also like to see him strut around a bit more, and look like he is going to score 1-6. Maybe I just dont know him.

Swift is a very very good player, has consistently been the Harps best player for the last 3 years. His best position is mid-field, but i think in the early part of last last season, particularly in the league final against down he showed what he is capable of. I definitely think his confidence has suffered as a result of POR tactics this year, too often he finds himself isolated when in possession & to be fair to the lad (Particularly against monaghan) the quality of ball into him was atrocious. He will come good. He scored a fine point against kerry in the first half & if youlook at all the games so far this year he has had a hand in most of the goals

illdecide

Quote from: orchard 8195 on March 22, 2011, 11:42:14 AM
Does anyone else think that BJP wouldnt be on the panel if he had played for cruppen all his life and wasnt from mayo. Hasnt impressed me at all bar a good point against dublin and the first 10 mins on sun where he was playing as a freeman. if you cant look decent in that role with no marker to worry about theres something wrong. Just suprises me when ppl are still mentioning him as a possibility when the cross boys are back.

Couldn't agree more Orchard...i'm very disapointed in him so far, he's on par with what we've got at the minute...just another work horse who can somtimes win his team a 50/50 ball. NOT a scoring forward.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

DuffleKing

It's quite a step from scoring forward at club level to consistent scorer at county level - particularly in the upper echelons. miceal o'rourke is another case in point - a scoring machine for his club including 1-06 or something in the county final - but hasn't transferred that to county level yet. It's probably players like these that need the most patients in terms of performance to see if they can establish confidence, which is the key component all scoring forwards have in common. any time i see swift for the harps he looks like scoring every time he gets the ball. obviously marking and overall defending is better at county level but eventually class will shine through if the work rate is there.

orchard 8195

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 22, 2011, 02:06:32 PM

It's quite a step from scoring forward at club level to consistent scorer at county level - particularly in the upper echelons. miceal o'rourke is another case in point - a scoring machine for his club including 1-06 or something in the county final - but hasn't transferred that to county level yet. It's probably players like these that need the most patients in terms of performance to see if they can establish confidence, which is the key component all scoring forwards have in common. any time i see swift for the harps he looks like scoring every time he gets the ball. obviously marking and overall defending is better at county level but eventually class will shine through if the work rate is there.

MOR does lack pace however he still seems to get out in front for the ball but is thinking what to do with it before he has it in hands. Also when he makes mistakes u can physically see the confidence drain from him. When he was played against monaghan at chf he had a v good game yet against down he was switched into the corner. I think he should have been persisted with in the half forward line in place of the likes of BJP. Still think Micheal has something to offer us however dont see much hope for the rest of the subs when cross contingent come back.