fer fecks sake.. MING!!!??

Started by lawnseed, March 06, 2011, 02:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 08, 2011, 11:28:00 AM
The IRA waged a campaign against the guards?

The Guards were legitimate targets, if you want to be precise

deiseach

Quote from: Banana Man on March 08, 2011, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:23:04 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 08, 2011, 11:02:39 AM
2. If you are so vocally opposed to the IRA, can I therefor assume you are similarly opposed to the IRA of the early 20th Century? (They did after all fight for the same ideals, and did both carry out certain wrong acts (robberies, disappearings, sectarian killings)?

Anogther old chestnut, although one I have a lot of sympathy with. I can understand the fury of Nationalist up North throughout the Troubles at being lectured by southern politicians about murder and terror against the Brits from the security of the land carved out by murder and terror against the Brits. However, I can easily distinguish between the legitimacy of waging a campaign against RIC men and waging a campaign against the Guards. That, if nothing else, represents a big difference between the two

you were actually going well there until the bit in bold lad

Translation: you liked what I said until you read something you didn't like

deiseach

I'd note in passing that one of the funny (in the gallows sense) things about the Troubles is how both sides of the conflict accept that bad things happened in general without ever accepting that anything specific was bad.

Banana Man

Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:46:58 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on March 08, 2011, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:23:04 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 08, 2011, 11:02:39 AM
2. If you are so vocally opposed to the IRA, can I therefor assume you are similarly opposed to the IRA of the early 20th Century? (They did after all fight for the same ideals, and did both carry out certain wrong acts (robberies, disappearings, sectarian killings)?

Anogther old chestnut, although one I have a lot of sympathy with. I can understand the fury of Nationalist up North throughout the Troubles at being lectured by southern politicians about murder and terror against the Brits from the security of the land carved out by murder and terror against the Brits. However, I can easily distinguish between the legitimacy of waging a campaign against RIC men and waging a campaign against the Guards. That, if nothing else, represents a big difference between the two

you were actually going well there until the bit in bold lad

Translation: you liked what I said until you read something you didn't like

not at all, don't presume what i think, i would like you to show where the IRA declared open war on the guards - this should be good

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

New thread set up for anyone who wishes to talk about Luke Flanagan as opposed to one of the smallest political parties in the Dáil.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: Banana Man on March 08, 2011, 11:53:40 AM
not at all, don't presume what i think, i would like you to show where the IRA declared open war on the guards - this should be good

I clarified that. The Guards were legitimate targets. And you know what? I didn't like that then and I don't like it now

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Who is doing yoir research for you?
IRA Vols were forbidden from engaging in any form of confrontation with the Guards and did not regard them as legitimate targets.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 08, 2011, 11:57:42 AM

IRA Vols were forbidden from engaging in any form of confrontation with the Guards and did not regard them as legitimate targets.

So when unarmed Guards died, that was just one of those things

Bogball XV

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 08, 2011, 11:18:42 AM
I think someone needs to lock this thread and let it float off into the ether...
It's all getting a bit repetitive isn't it.  I think there's a few lads on here who maybe think they're in some way furthering SF's cause or putting across SF's arguments, but they're not doing much of a job of converting hearts or minds. 

As for Luke, I wasn't a fan pre-election, but on hearing him several times since then, I think he's well worth having in there.  Hopefully he'll fulfill his potential, btw, I'd say he's close enough to SF on many policies too, of course some supporters can't see past his use of illegal substances, but that shouldn't be a bar to them talking to him.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:58:18 AM

Perhaps it was Collateral damage or friendly fire.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Banana Man

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 08, 2011, 11:59:00 AM
I think someone needs to lock this thread and let it float off into the ether...
It's all getting a bit repetitive isn't it.  I think there's a few lads on here who maybe think they're in some way furthering SF's cause or putting across SF's arguments, but they're not doing much of a job of converting hearts or minds. 

As for Luke, I wasn't a fan pre-election, but on hearing him several times since then, I think he's well worth having in there.  Hopefully he'll fulfill his potential, btw, I'd say he's close enough to SF on many policies too, of course some supporters can't see past his use of illegal substances, but that shouldn't be a bar to them talking to him.

I for one am not trying to further anything, but when bullshit like what deiseach has posted goes up about a war with the guards i will challenge it, which you still have anwered btw deiseach

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 08, 2011, 11:55:23 AM
New thread set up for anyone who wishes to talk about Luke Flanagan as opposed to one of the smallest political parties in the Dáil.

There was a time I respected you as a poster. Don't ruin it by cowardly actions like hiding from questions about what you posted.

1. You stated that there were "people apparantly denying that the IRA or Sinn Féin have done anything wrong in the last 4 or 5 decades".
WHO claimed the IRA never did anything wrong? Just give me a name or quote to back it up, it's all I ask.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:58:18 AM

It's a long way from the IRA "waging war" on the Gardaí isn't it though? And it's no more "one of those things" than unarmed victims of the Old IRA were "one of those things" when looked through the rose tinted glasses of the Mayo's of this world.

deiseach

Quote from: Banana Man on March 08, 2011, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on March 08, 2011, 11:59:00 AM

I for one am not trying to further anything, but when bullshit like what deiseach has posted goes up about a war with the guards i will challenge it, which you still have anwered btw deiseach

I have answered. I clarified that Guards were legitimate targets. I do not accept statements that they were not because out in the real world unarmed Guards, who could not possibly represent a threat to an armed Volunteer on active service, were killed. To say otherwise is to engage in weasel words.

Franko

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 08, 2011, 01:20:45 AM
Get over the past?????

Northerners and NI SF'rs are all Free State this, Blueshirt that, who are the hypocrites, when you can get over blaming Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil for the 1920's & 1930's we will wait another 4-7 decades to stop blaming SF-IRA for the 1960's/70's/80's/90's/00's.

Fair enough. Hypocrites.

Civil War politics is only alive and well in the 6.

Hold on a second.  The reason that 'northerners' continue to mention this is because, unlike yourself, who has the luxury of living on the 'correct' side of the treaty divide, the fact that I pay my tax to the British exchequer means that Civil War politics is very much in the present to me.