Mayo v Billie Joe, 13th March 2011 McHale Park

Started by Barney, March 03, 2011, 10:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 09, 2011, 01:04:20 PM
I didn't see the Galway game so am relying on second hand info so I will defer to those who saw Burke play. I think he has something to offer. I forgot about Andy - how could I do that! He'll be at 14 with probably Killer and Doherty either side of him. Apparently Varley and Freeman might be in contention. If so, start Freeman at 14, Andy 13 and Doherty 15.

I dont think Freeman will be 100% fit for Armagh although I think he was aiming to be. He has a better chance of playing against the Dubs.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2011, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 08, 2011, 09:09:19 PM
I think James Burke did more than enough to start again.

Based on what Moy?

Always available in support. Very good linking and saw the pass very early. One diagonal kick pass to O Sé was on a plate and that is typical of what he can do.Being left footed is a big plus also. He is the type of new blood and ambition that this team needs imo. Don t remember him shipping much punishment from Gary Sice I think. And if we are going to play a running possession game that I think we will for the most part the wing backs will be fluid anyway. These guys will have to get up and down the wings all day long.

mackers

Quote from: Shortso79 on March 08, 2011, 09:07:31 PM
Heading west for the match this weekend

Any recommendations for good pubs or eateries

Any where decent to watch the rugby soccer and gaelic on saturday night

Staying in the Harlequinn Hotel

Any other armagh fans making the trip

Cheers
These Mayo boys are too busy talking tactics & personnel to give you a bit of help Shortso!! I only thought us Armagh boys were bad.

Hoping to make Castlebar myself although it'll be the round trip on Sunday for me.

It's a must win game for both teams with the losers heading for Division 2 along with Galway. I'd give Grugan a rest with him playing tonight in Derry. Like Benny I'd take Swift out to CHF and maybe leave Stevie and B Mallon (for want of better options) in the inside line. If mallon doesn't shake himself up in there I'd bring young McParland in and see what he's made of. He must be frustrated at the man without a club getting on before him in Newry.
The midfield and defence more or less picks itself although I'm hoping for an improved performance from P Duffy or Aaron Kernan will walk straight back in for him on Sunday week.
A lot of people were giving Andy Mallon stick for his performance against Down but he was left one on one with a flyer in Laverty which isn't easy. I'd expect us to be a wee bit more defensive from here on and not leave Andy and Donaghy as exposed like they were against Down.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

AbbeySider

The grub and pints in Bar One and Cox's is grand.

Probably Rockeys will have the football on.

Castlebar should be a busy spot on Saturday night with the new Taoiseach

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

muppet

Quote from: borderfox on March 07, 2011, 10:53:54 AM
I can remember Mayo and Armagh playing in a league Q/F double header in the mid 80s but not against each other.

I can remember Armagh getting well  beaten by Loais I think. I can still see joey cunningham scoring a fisted point that day which was disallowed. I think the score was 0-15 to 1-7 or 1-8.

Mayos game that day was against Monaghan (I think, could be wrong) and was a lot closer. I think it was 0-9 to 0-8. I cant remember who won to be honest only that it was a lot tighter than the first match.

Can anyone else remember these two league QFS?

30th March 1986 League Quarter-Final:

Mayo 0-15 Armagh 1-7

20th April 1986 League Semi-Final:

Monaghan 0-10 Mayo 1-6

MWWSI 2017

borderfox

Thanks muppet. I could of swore Loais beat us that day but hey there you go, It was Mayo. The alzheimers must be catching up with me. I thought it was a double header.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2011, 02:43:45 PM

Good man! Heading down myself... bit outside town, Breaffy Woods Hotel.

Tubberman

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 10, 2011, 01:57:07 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2011, 02:43:45 PM

Good man! Heading down myself... bit outside town, Breaffy Woods Hotel.

Ah, a taxi will have you in middle of town in 5 mins.
Mick Byrnes and Ray Prendergasts would be traditional football pubs. But the livlier places would be down around Linenhall St - where Cox's Rocky's, Bosh etc are
By the way, the homecoming for An Taoiseach is on Sat night, so will be a big crowd around I'm sure. That's on in the TF, the other end of town to the pubs mentioned.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Shortso79

ross4life

Quote from: Shortso79 on March 10, 2011, 08:53:07 PM
Cheers for the advice and recommendations

The hotel you booked is at the back of the TF where most of the Kenny celebrations will be i can imagine.

Cox's is a good spot & most pubs on that street have a late license
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ya Johnnys (John McHales) is a great traditional Irish pub, nicest Guinness in the West across from the Welcome Inn.

Rockys will have alot of the local crowd.

Prendergasts & Mick Byrnes - football pubs.

McCarthys for the trad. music.

Bar One, Bosh & Buckos, for the modern bar and the young wans with short skirts.

Coadys will be overflowing, its where Enda takes his pint when he comes into town.

TF, will have a big FG & football crowd too.

Irishhouse, bit alternative kind of crowd.

Castlebar has a good 50 pubs still open I'd say, so ya won't go short.

The Shamrock out in Breaffy Village/Suburb is a nice spot for a quiet one if yet driving past, but unlikely as its south of the town.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 10, 2011, 09:28:41 PM
Ya Johnnys (John McHales) is a great traditional Irish pub, nicest Guinness in the West across from the Welcome Inn.

It's nice stout, but less of the shite talk.

RedandGreenSniper

Bar One, Bosh & Buckos, for the modern bar and the young wans with short skirts.

Coadys will be overflowing, its where Enda takes his pint when he comes into town.

The Shamrock out in Breaffy Village/Suburb is a nice spot for a quiet one if yet driving past, but unlikely as its south of the town.

You've been away a long time by the looks of things! There's barely 20 pubs in the town now, what with everyone emigrating  :P Bar One is dying on its feet so unless you want a (very) quiet pint, stay on Linenhall Street. For the man who is staying in Breaffy Woods, the Shamrock will be your local. And, just to be pedantic, Breaffy is to the east and not the south of Castlebar.

Prendergasts (known locally as Rays) and Byrnes for the football talk; Johnny's for a good atmosphere and nice stout. Then onto Bosh, Buckos and Cox's later. Rocky's a good spot any of the time and best spot for the live sport.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 10, 2011, 11:25:27 PM

You've been away a long time by the looks of things! There's barely 20 pubs in the town now, what with everyone emigrating  :P Bar One is dying on its feet so unless you want a (very) quiet pint, stay on Linenhall Street. For the man who is staying in Breaffy Woods, the Shamrock will be your local. And, just to be pedantic, Breaffy is to the east and not the south of Castlebar.

Prendergasts (known locally as Rays) and Byrnes for the football talk; Johnny's for a good atmosphere and nice stout. Then onto Bosh, Buckos and Cox's later. Rocky's a good spot any of the time and best spot for the live sport.

Well to be very Pedantic its South East. I highlighted the South as they coming from the North East direction. Ya maybe not 50, but there must be at least 35. I haven't been in Bar One in a long time, it used to be wall to wall in there. They get a rugby crowd in for the matches.

If coming from the match depending on which direction they come they will pass the Hogs Heaven or if coming the other way the pubs on Spencer Steet too.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.