Mayo v Billie Joe, 13th March 2011 McHale Park

Started by Barney, March 03, 2011, 10:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

Feck sake its like trying to crack a code working out who these Armagh players are...AM, F Mo, CMcK etc. :)

If Feeney plays full back again for us it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against McDonnell. I guess we're looking at a team without the 21s since they're playing the Rossies on Saturday. So maybe something along the lines of

O'Malley (although Hennelly could probably play both games)

Cunniffe  A Feeney  Barrett  (is Higgins back from Oz yet?)

R Feeney Cafferkey Gardiner

McGarrity Gibbons

Campbell   Dillon  McLoughlin

Kilcoyne   Moran   Doherty (If Varley is back fit he might play at 13)

Actually looking at that the under 21s missing doesn't affect the team too much, just O'Shea really and he hasn't been going that well. On paper I'd say that team would be good enough to win this one at home, but then I can't really work out who the Armagh players are, so I'm probably not best placed to judge.

I thought Armagh were good when I saw them in the Div 2 league final last year, they'd have taken our lads that day easy enough.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

maigheo

Quote from: borderfox on March 07, 2011, 10:53:54 AM
I can remember Mayo and Armagh playing in a league Q/F double header in the mid 80s but not against each other.

I can remember Armagh getting well  beaten by Loais I think. I can still see joey cunningham scoring a fisted point that day which was disallowed. I think the score was 0-15 to 1-7 or 1-8.

Mayos game that day was against Monaghan (I think, could be wrong) and was a lot closer. I think it was 0-9 to 0-8. I cant remember who won to be honest only that it was a lot tighter than the first match.

Can anyone else remember these two league QFS?
the year was 1986 and mayo kicked a load of wides that day.laois went on to win the league that year but then got beaten in the 1st round of the championchip

rosnarun

Quote from: maigheo on March 07, 2011, 11:29:42 PM
I can remember Mayo and Armagh playing in a league Q/F double header in the mid 80s but not against each other.

I can remember Armagh getting well  beaten by Loais I think. I can still see joey cunningham scoring a fisted point that day which was disallowed. I think the score was 0-15 to 1-7 or 1-8.

Mayos game that day was against Monaghan (I think, could be wrong) and was a lot closer. I think it was 0-9 to 0-8. I cant remember who won to be honest only that it was a lot tighter than the first match.

the year was 1986 and mayo kicked a load of wides that day.laois went on to win the league that year but then got beaten in the 1st round of the championchip
was that against wicklow at the battle of aughrim?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on March 08, 2011, 12:18:36 AM
Quote from: maigheo on March 07, 2011, 11:29:42 PM

was that against wicklow at the battle of aughrim?

Sure was.

southsider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 07, 2011, 11:04:27 PM
Feck sake its like trying to crack a code working out who these Armagh players are...AM, F Mo, CMcK etc. :)

If Feeney plays full back again for us it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against McDonnell. I guess we're looking at a team without the 21s since they're playing the Rossies on Saturday. So maybe something along the lines of

O'Malley (although Hennelly could probably play both games)

Cunniffe  A Feeney  Barrett  (is Higgins back from Oz yet?)

R Feeney Cafferkey Gardiner

McGarrity Gibbons

Campbell   Dillon  McLoughlin

Kilcoyne   Moran   Doherty (If Varley is back fit he might play at 13)

Actually looking at that the under 21s missing doesn't affect the team too much, just O'Shea really and he hasn't been going that well. On paper I'd say that team would be good enough to win this one at home, but then I can't really work out who the Armagh players are, so I'm probably not best placed to judge.

I thought Armagh were good when I saw them in the Div 2 league final last year, they'd have taken our lads that day easy enough.

is a feeney injured? - may put caff back to full or bring in either hallinan or killeen

RedandGreenSniper

Alan Feeney is injured. Broken toe I think. I'd imagine that both Under 21s who started the last day - Robbie Hennelly and Aidan O'Shea - will be rested. So I'd be thinking of a team along these lines.

K O'Malley

T Cunniffe C Hallinan C Barrett

R Feeney G Cafferkey P Gardiner

R McGarrity J Gibbons

A Campbell A Dillon K McLoughlin

E Varley A Kilcoyne J Doherty.

I reckon Hallinan could be a good match for Stevie McDonnell although it is a big task. He might well play Barry Moran at midfield beside McGarrity because he has played things around there. We might struggle without a physically strong player inside, with the absence of both Alan Freeman and Aidan O'Shea. Barry Moran might be played there but I don't see Horan doing that. Midfield or nothing for Barry I reckon. After missing the game in Tuam, I'm looking forward to seeing how McLoughlin gets on at 12 - if he is picked there.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Chimley

Can't see him dropping Andy Moran. When is Vaughan back? Freeman and Howley might be close too.

Cosmo Kramer

Ya Andy will play if he is fit. We're not allowed to drop him because the Rossie lads will get annoyed if their man doesn't get picked.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Shortso79

Heading west for the match this weekend

Any recommendations for good pubs or eateries

Any where decent to watch the rugby soccer and gaelic on saturday night

Staying in the Harlequinn Hotel

Any other armagh fans making the trip

Cheers

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 08, 2011, 11:41:49 AM
Alan Feeney is injured. Broken toe I think. I'd imagine that both Under 21s who started the last day - Robbie Hennelly and Aidan O'Shea - will be rested. So I'd be thinking of a team along these lines.

K O'Malley

R McGarrity J Gibbons

I reckon Hallinan could be a good match for Stevie McDonnell although it is a big task. He might well play Barry Moran at midfield beside McGarrity because he has played things around there. We might struggle without a physically strong player inside, with the absence of both Alan Freeman and Aidan O'Shea. Barry Moran might be played there but I don't see Horan doing that. Midfield or nothing for Barry I reckon. After missing the game in Tuam, I'm looking forward to seeing how McLoughlin gets on at 12 - if he is picked there.

I think James Burke did more than enough to start again.

southsider

Quote from: moysider on March 08, 2011, 09:09:19 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 08, 2011, 11:41:49 AM

K O'Malley

R McGarrity J Gibbons

burke may well start with gardiner moving to right half back and richie feeney taking up a position in the full back line.

AbbeySider

Chimley

I thought that Burke was loose enough the last day. It was his first start though so he will hopefully get another chance before we make up our mind.

RedandGreenSniper

I didn't see the Galway game so am relying on second hand info so I will defer to those who saw Burke play. I think he has something to offer. I forgot about Andy - how could I do that! He'll be at 14 with probably Killer and Doherty either side of him. Apparently Varley and Freeman might be in contention. If so, start Freeman at 14, Andy 13 and Doherty 15.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: Chimley on March 09, 2011, 09:23:50 AM
I thought that Burke was loose enough the last day. It was his first start though so he will hopefully get another chance before we make up our mind.

+1

Quote from: moysider on March 08, 2011, 09:09:19 PM

Bit of a stretch IMO. He did Ok, was loose enough and a lot came up his wing if I can remember. In fact, thinking about It I thought that a few players breezed by him a little easy against Galway.