Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 20, 2011, 07:03:23 PM
Quote from: tevez on June 20, 2011, 05:20:00 PM
....Everything and I mean every resource and every gaa person in the county should be working from now on getting McGeeney into the Armagh job for next year!!!!!!

Tevez, I think there is a near mythological obsession with McGeeny. He has failed to get Kildare out of Division 2 and I honestly belive they will lose to Dublin next week. Where will that leave McGeeney as this great manager that you so desperately want? It will leave him in exactly the same place as Armagh are right now. Of course they might win but I honestly belive Dublin have too much for them. You have to remember that McGeeney has one excellent championship run behind him, but that came with two bad league campaigns. Also they rode their luck in the championship with an escape against Antrim. They could easily have been the nobody's of 2010.

Sometimes the grass is greener!!!!

Sure we'll have to endure the man's management until 2013 anyway so it's a pointless conversation: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0915/mcgeeneyk_kildare.html
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Armaghgeddon

....Everything and I mean every resource and every gaa person in the county should be working from now on getting McGeeney into the Armagh job for next year!!!!!!

Tevez, I think there is a near mythological obsession with McGeeny. He has failed to get Kildare out of Division 2 and I honestly belive they will lose to Dublin next week. Where will that leave McGeeney as this great manager that you so desperately want? It will leave him in exactly the same place as Armagh are right now. Of course they might win but I honestly belive Dublin have too much for them. You have to remember that McGeeney has one excellent championship run behind him, but that came with two bad league campaigns. Also they rode their luck in the championship with an escape against Antrim. They could easily have been the nobody's of 2010.

Apply the same to your own county.

tevez

Boys catch a grip theres no such thing as a contract really managers can leave when they want and be sacked when the county board decides so.

whitegoodman

Quote from: tevez on June 20, 2011, 07:56:21 PM
Boys catch a grip theres no such thing as a contract really managers can leave when they want and be sacked when the county board decides so.

Think you need to heed ur own advice

tevez

Why do I need to catch a grip. Contracts in Gaelic football aren't worth the paper there written on managers and county boards can do what they like. True or not?

AZOffaly

Quote from: tevez on June 20, 2011, 08:15:19 PM
Why do I need to catch a grip. Contracts in Gaelic football aren't worth the paper there written on managers and county boards can do what they like. True or not?

Contracts? What contracts? I don't think they are written on paper in the first place.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: tevez on June 20, 2011, 07:24:25 PM
To be fair Kildare are a very limited team in my opinion. They have no Jamie Clarke in there forward line or a player like Ciaran Mc'keever in their defence. He has done wonders with that panel of players with Kildare. Plus and this is the main point the players in Armagh would jump through hopes to get him in. They would do anything. There is so much respect there. Do you think they would do the same for O'Rourke.
Finally I am realistic that McGeeney may not happen but it should be vigoursly pursued. Anyway there are plenty of other Armagh men who could do a much better job and are far more astute than Paddy "clueless" O'Rourke.

You're right. We don't.

But you don't have a Willie Heffernan, so there  :P
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

whitegoodman

Quote from: tevez on June 20, 2011, 08:15:19 PM

1) POR is there until at least the end of the year, there is no chance of him being sacked before then, get over it

2) McGeeny does not want the armagh job for various reasons, get over it

3) Armagh (as well as Down) are every bit as limited as Kildare.  Outside of Kerry, Cork and possibly Dublin and Tyrone there are a number of teams at the same level, Kildare and Armagh being 2 of them.  As has been pointed out McGeeny failed to take Kildare out of Div 2 two years in a row, POR took Armagh up in his first year and kept them up this year without the cross contingent or the great Ronan Clarke.

Ur extreme views are difficult to take seriously.  POR may not be a good manager but he isnt the worst in the world and mcgeeny isnt the messiah!!!

tevez

First of all I recognise it wont happen before this season ends but it MUST happen after! Second Paddy O'Rourke is a dud manager and that is recognised by the vast majority of Armagh supporters who were in Clones. Next I suggest u worry about ur own team and leave us to worry about Armagh. Lastly there will be problems in getting McGeeney, but nothing is impossible if you try hard enough!

whitegoodman

Fair play Carlos, constructive well thought out response ;)

yellowcard

The basis for judging a managers ability should be to ask if he has got the best out of the players at his disposal. McGeeney in my opinion has done this and more. He has moulded a team in a mirror image of himself. That Kildare squad is like a family and even though they lack absolute quality they were only one bad umpiring decision from an AI final last year.

Contrast that to a fragmented disjointed Armagh team with a clear lack of direction and the relative abilities between McGeeney and POR are obvious. I don't think there is an Armagh supporter out there who if told McGeeney was replacing POR tomorrow wouldn't be happy. Will it happen? No, but as Tevez suggests, it should be pursued vigorously. I have a feeling that McGeeney could become Dublin manager at some stage in the next few years.

tevez

Yellowcard u are spot on!

Applesisapples

I agree with you I don't think Geezer is the answer. He's allegedly on too much in Kildare. If he comes to Armagh it will only be when the pot runs dry in Kildare. Time for McAlinden, McGrane and McConville to ride to the rescue.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 20, 2011, 08:34:51 PM
Quote from: tevez on June 20, 2011, 07:24:25 PM
To be fair Kildare are a very limited team in my opinion. They have no Jamie Clarke in there forward line or a player like Ciaran Mc'keever in their defence. He has done wonders with that panel of players with Kildare. Plus and this is the main point the players in Armagh would jump through hopes to get him in. They would do anything. There is so much respect there. Do you think they would do the same for O'Rourke.
Finally I am realistic that McGeeney may not happen but it should be vigoursly pursued. Anyway there are plenty of other Armagh men who could do a much better job and are far more astute than Paddy "clueless" O'Rourke.

You're right. We don't.

But you don't have a Willie Heffernan, so there  :P
And as of now you are still in the provincial championship.

thewobbler

The thing I'm struggling to fathom over the past few pages is why a consensus has been reached that Kildare have somehow got a weak squad, with limited resources compared to Armagh.

Armagh have 2-3 very good players, 2-3 very useful players, 5-6 county standard players, and are carrying the rest. Kildare have that, plus a little more. Only blinkererdom can convince you otherwise.

Armagh were sensational against Down in that every one of them apart from McDonnell played as well they can. But that's the exception for Armagh, not the norm, as the players just aren't good enough.

If McGeeney was silly enough to take the Armagh job next season he might improve them. But only from 8th-9th best team in Ireland to the 7th-8th best team in Ireland. That's their threshold; they can't go beyond it.