Tribune gone...

Started by 5 Sams, February 01, 2011, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0201/tribune-business.html

Have to say I'll miss it...best of a poor enough bunch IMHO....

The Aristocrat Years

Dinny Breen

Very sad, actually my favourte newspaper   :'(
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

Some of the News covereage has gone a bit tabloid-y and sensational in the last couple of years, but the Sports was second to none.

Donnellys Hollow

This epitomises what's wrong with the country. A gutter rag like the Sindo thrives while a readable, quality newspaper (although it's standards had been slipping in recent years) goes to the wall.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

muppet

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 01, 2011, 11:57:19 PM
This epitomises what's wrong with the country. A gutter rag like the Sindo thrives while a readable, quality newspaper (although it's standards had been slipping in recent years) goes to the wall.

Sorry to see it go.

Matt Cooper suggested in his book that IN&M put money into it to fend off 'higher-end' competition from the Sunday Times and to defend the flagship Sindo from this competition. Ironically he didn't say what strategy the Sindo had to defend itself from 'lower-end' competition. The reader was left to presume that the Sindo was doing a good enough job in that market itself.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Very sad news. They had excellent business and sports coverage.

AZOffaly

Agree with everything said here so far. The only Sunday Paper worth buying in my opinion. Even Neil Francis the big wuss was a good read. I suppose it'll be back to the Sunday Times now, and Stephen Jones.

Tubberman

Was the only Irish Sunday paper I've bought over the last few years, but the choice is pretty awful in fairness.
Had some very good stuff, but I felt it had gone downhill quite a bit laltely, most noticably since it went to the tabloid format for some reason.
I won't miss that Diarmuid Doyle though!  ;)

No idea what paper I'll buy now - couldn't stomach buying the Sindo, and the Sunday Times is basically an English paper with a few Irish stories thrown in.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Harold Disgracey

Very sad to see it go as it's the only Irish Sunday paper I buy. Won't get the Sunday Times as I get the Observer, what would the Sunday Business Post be like as an alternative? I wouldn't wipe my arse with the sindo & don't buy tabloids.

Minder

Is there demand for the number of newspapers compared to the size of the population?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Croí na hÉireann

Shows how this country is in the state it's in, too many people buying the shite Sindo for years and a decent broadsheet goes to the wall. Same as voting for the same fcukers year in, year out. Will just have to make do with the Times from now on.  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Ulick

The Tribune has been on the slide for the best part of a decade now. The last two times I bought it I don't think I gave it more than 5 minutes before it was in the bin. Excepting the sports section it won't be missed. The Sunday Business Post has been the only quality Irish weekly for years now but the lack of a sports section and continued business focus will hardly see it grow out of its niche market. Now if the SBP was to hire the Tribune sports people they would have a cracking Sunday read, or perhaps now the Irish Times will take the plunge and put out a Sunday edition.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Ulick on February 02, 2011, 10:24:21 AM
The Tribune has been on the slide for the best part of a decade now. The last two times I bought it I don't think I gave it more than 5 minutes before it was in the bin. Excepting the sports section it won't be missed. The Sunday Business Post has been the only quality Irish weekly for years now but the lack of a sports section and continued business focus will hardly see it grow out of its niche market. Now if the SBP was to hire the Tribune sports people they would have a cracking Sunday read, or perhaps now the Irish Times will take the plunge and put out a Sunday edition.

+1
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Scarlet

+2

That would be a great call. the problem as Croi said earlier it's just a habbit in Ireland. When I'm home the Sindo is bought every week without question and barely even read. The Living, Life Mag and sport aren't even touched by my parents and are off to teh bin.
They just buy it anyway and when I ask why they wouldn't get the Trib they just say they always buy the Sindo. I'm sure it's the same in so many houses. If ya buy the Indo then you buy the Sindo. That's where the Trib loses out.

Hopefully they get something sorted.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

mackers

Hopefully Clerkin, Shannon and McKenna get jobs fairly sharpish and I will follow them to whichever paper has the foresight to employ them.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.