Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

begrudger

Thought the best team won. Dubs found their scores far easier to come by. Armagh, similar to the Marys match, were laboured in their attacks. Their half forward line doesn't fold back enough to help out defence. Dubs forwards had far more space than Armaghs. Think Grugan had a poor game too. Thought Vernon gave Bastick the run around.

DUBSFORSAM1

With Dublin only having 1 defender and neither midfielder from the semi-final last year it was good to see our reserve defence getting a good run out.

Hound

Well McAuley is obviously our first choice midfielder, and I dont think there's a whole heap of difference between Bastick and the rest of them. Though its interesting that Barry Cahill has been used as a midfielder when brought on.

A pity that the likes of Kev Nolan, Cian O'Sullivan and Ross O'Carroll miss these games as they'd learn so much.

Very happy with the more positive forward formation that Gilroy is playing compared to this time last year. Hopefully Andews and Alan Brogan will get starts as well.

bennydorano

I went expecting a tanking so like most people reasonably happy with the performance, in the end we were undone by a shocking goalkeeping error , totally gave Dublin the impetus to finish us off. Have to say i thought the Dubs looked that bit better than us and probably had another gear if it was required.

Some excellent performances from Nippy, Charlie, Stevie (2nd half), Mckeever and Donaghy, personally I would give motm to Andy Mallon, I thought he was very ropey for the whole of last season and possibly even on the way out, but he had a great game last night, looked back to best - hopefully it will continue. BJP started off well but faded badly, if all he's going to do is grunt work, i wouldn't play him CHF - that role can be played from any position, I think thats far too important a position to have a grafter in there. I know Ogs ones are always promoting Ronan Clarke for CHF, after Nippy's last few couple of performances at FF it could be time to give it a real try.

The MF'ers performed well last night, but again overall we proabbly lost the sector due to woeful breakball winning (again). Dyas and Duffy are classy ball players but they aren't doing enough in this regard, the Dubs walked through on several occasions after winning easy break ball. It was often said Aaron Kernan was poor defensively, maybe so but I think he offers more. Grugan and Mal Mackin also offerred nothing in assistance to MF and little as an attacking threat either.

I would also question the subsitutions last night, every one seemed to make us weaker, what was the point?

Declan

Enjoyable evening up in Armagh. New ground very impressive. Happy enough with Dublin performance though we still lost possession very easily a couple of times. Not convinced that Bastick is the answer to partner Mcauley. Disappointed in Mossy as well despite 2 nice points. Thought Hubbard was the Dubs best player and young Murray is a good footballer if not a full back. Armagh had to work much harder for their scores and although Berno finished cleverly keeper was poor for second goal. I thought Andy Mallon was Armagh's best player and though FF took some nice scores he's too one footed for me. Nice to hear Stephen's name mentioned at HT speeches but good God it went on far too long I thought.
Very handy journey up and down and thanks for the hospitality. 

Jinxy

For all the talk about Connolly and what an incredible talent he supposedly is, I just don't see it.
He sticks out like a sore thumb on that team due to his lack of work-rate and urgency.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Nice to get the two points on board - cant understand where the pessimism from Armagh posters coming - I wouldn't think ye're a million miles away from putting a decent team together especially with Hearty, Kernan & the Clarkes to come back.

I felt Dublin had the extra gear when required, but McCauley needs a big man beside him to win clean ball especially with Cork to come up in two weeks.

mackers

Reasonably happy with our first outing. We played some good stuff in patches but we simply have to cut out the silly errors if we're going to hold our own in the 1st Division. Dublin, in general, were much fitter and sharper than us. Going into the game I was concerned about this with the lack of game time the majority of our first team had in the McKenna Cup.
If Charlie Vernon always played with the same aggression that he did last night he will realise his potential. Looked like he had a point to prove against Bastick and got involved in a bit of verbals with him on a couple of occasions.
We missed too many chances particularly in the first half, the Dubs were very economical although we gifted them the two goals (pity that Donaghy blotted his copybook as he had a great game on Brogan).
The game sort of passed Rory Grugan by but he will learn from it.
Nippy was superb, BJP started well but faded badly.
Looking forward to the next few games with a bit more optimism now.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Throw ball

Quote from: mackers on February 06, 2011, 07:03:20 PM
Reasonably happy with our first outing. We played some good stuff in patches but we simply have to cut out the silly errors if we're going to hold our own in the 1st Division. Dublin, in general, were much fitter and sharper than us. Going into the game I was concerned about this with the lack of game time the majority of our first team had in the McKenna Cup.
If Charlie Vernon always played with the same aggression that he did last night he will realise his potential. Looked like he had a point to prove against Bastick and got involved in a bit of verbals with him on a couple of occasions.
We missed too many chances particularly in the first half, the Dubs were very economical although we gifted them the two goals (pity that Donaghy blotted his copybook as he had a great game on Brogan).
The game sort of passed Rory Grugan by but he will learn from it.
Nippy was superb, BJP started well but faded badly.
Looking forward to the next few games with a bit more optimism now.
[/quote

Think it was a tough ask for him. May have been better to give in 20 minutes or so to get him used to senior inter county. Still think he will be a good one though!

INDIANA

Quote from: heffo on February 06, 2011, 04:59:17 PM
Nice to get the two points on board - cant understand where the pessimism from Armagh posters coming - I wouldn't think ye're a million miles away from putting a decent team together especially with Hearty, Kernan & the Clarkes to come back.

I felt Dublin had the extra gear when required, but McCauley needs a big man beside him to win clean ball especially with Cork to come up in two weeks.

I think we'd have won by a bit more Heffo with our defence from last year. That said Armagh look far more like a team going in the right direction now then last season. But will take a few years. Reasonably happy with last night but I'll wait till we play the big guns.

Cracking ground up in Armagh. Good banter with the Armagh fans too.  Back in Dublin for 11.30 and a few pints. Good day out.

crossfire

Quote from: INDIANA on February 06, 2011, 08:34:53 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 06, 2011, 04:59:17 PM

I think we'd have won by a bit more Heffo with our defence from last year. That said Armagh look far more like a team going in the right direction now then last season. But will take a few years. Reasonably happy with last night but I'll wait till we play the big guns.

Cracking ground up in Armagh. Good banter with the Armagh fans too.  Back in Dublin for 11.30 and a few pints. Good day out.

Did you go via Newry.?

lawnseed

like benny i predicted a tanking, so the result was a relief, didnt get the substitutions ??? none of them made much difference. young grugan not quiet ready for this level a bit nervous prehaps. stadium looks good. i must have missed something because i dont remember the athletic grounds ever being a 'fortress'. so i suppose thats something to look forward to
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

DuffleKing

Quote from: lawnseed on February 06, 2011, 10:19:34 PM
like benny i predicted a tanking, so the result was a relief, didnt get the substitutions ??? none of them made much difference. young grugan not quiet ready for this level a bit nervous prehaps. stadium looks good. i must have missed something because i dont remember the athletic grounds ever being a 'fortress'. so i suppose thats something to look forward to

Certainly ws in the 80s/early 90s

Quote from: INDIANA on February 06, 2011, 08:34:53 PM
I think we'd have won by a bit more Heffo with our defence from last year. That said Armagh look far more like a team going in the right direction now then last season. But will take a few years.

Jaysus. Where we're at now is being happy with losing at home to a poor dublin team and being patronised with it.

Maguire01

Quote from: emainmacha on February 06, 2011, 08:17:25 PM
Photos if anyone wants to take a look see

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16144312@N07/sets/72157625990984802/detail/
Some nice shots in there. Looks like someone was way off the mark making that game "all ticket".