Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SambaSaffron

Jinxy

Think Dublin won by 4.
They're shaping up well.
Nice depth in the squad and they all seem to know the system.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

anportmorforjfc

From what i hear it was a decent performance from Armagh, with the two Clarkes and Kernan to come back i still have hope that we can have a good year.

el_cuervo_fc

It was an encouraging performance by Armagh. It was all level with ten mins to go with Armagh playing the better football at that stage.

Brogan got a soft goal at that stage then the dubs scored another two points after that.

There were some very good individual performances on the night. Nippy swift, Charlie and Paul duffy would be the pick of them.

Grugan was very good in patches. Some of his passing was sublime.

The dubs were cleaned out at midfield but played some sharp football at times.

All in all it was a vast improvement for Armagh over the last few games.
The dubs always seemed to have a second gear though.

It was good to see Andy Mallon back in the defense. He had a good display

Midlands Man

Who were the scorers lads , did stevie do much?

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Midlands Man on February 05, 2011, 10:17:45 PM
Who were the scorers lads , did stevie do much?

Check out    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9388819.stm

Reasonable performance by Armagh-couple of points;

• We need a new goalie NOW
  • Too much possession given away needlessly

• [
"Stercus accidit"

armaghniac

A game where mistakes often dictated the scoring. Armagh played well at times, but were sloppy at times too.
Nippy swift, Charlie and Paul duffy would be the pick of them.
Grugan was very good in patches. Some of his passing was sublime.

Agreed.

The Athletic grounds looked well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

our_fella

el_cuervo_fc are you serious?
Armagh were once again destroyed at mid-field. Also dont agree with grugans performance. Tonight showed he isnt ready yet, not big or strong enough, some of his passing and shooting was awful

el_cuervo_fc

Like I said, in patches. His couple of shots on the first half were poor but he put some excellent passes through to the full forward line. Where some maye have passed across the field he delivered  crosses that show what he could potentially add tothos team for years to come

Midlands Man

Who was Man Of The Match, Brogan i suppose..

fitzroyalty

Mixed feelings regarding tonight, gifted Dublin the early lead and if you take that first (joke of a) goal out of the game our prospects in this division seem a lot more positive. That said I am still disappointed that we lost, especially with about ten mins to go we had made a great comeback and seemed to have the momentum. Dublin are probably the fitest team in the country so for us to match them in that department was promising. Some good individual displays, CV my MOTM. I have criticised him before but he got through a mountain of work tonight. Likewise Nippy, wasn't convinced with him at FF but after tonight he has more than proved his worth in that position. BJP was good for when he was on and C McKeever also played very well.

I felt our biggest problem tonight was fannying about in defence, especially full back line and also the quality of ball going into the FF line - granted the second half was much improved as McDonnell stroked some classy points. Feel McEvoy needs to up his game, although I was at the opposite end in the stand I felt he could have done more for the second goal and feel he is at fault. Had it been big Hearty he'd have taken man and ball.

el_cuervo_fc

McEvoy should have come out earlier for the second goal but it was quick thinking by Brogan to flick it past him.   He made an excellent point blank save in the second half.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 06, 2011, 12:20:19 AM
Mixed feelings regarding tonight, gifted Dublin the early lead and if you take that first (joke of a) goal out of the game our prospects in this division seem a lot more positive. That said I am still disappointed that we lost, especially with about ten mins to go we had made a great comeback and seemed to have the momentum. Dublin are probably the fitest team in the country so for us to match them in that department was promising. Some good individual displays, CV my MOTM. I have criticised him before but he got through a mountain of work tonight. Likewise Nippy, wasn't convinced with him at FF but after tonight he has more than proved his worth in that position. BJP was good for when he was on and C McKeever also played very well.

I felt our biggest problem tonight was fannying about in defence, especially full back line and also the quality of ball going into the FF line - granted the second half was much improved as McDonnell stroked some classy points. Feel McEvoy needs to up his game, although I was at the opposite end in the stand I felt he could have done more for the second goal and feel he is at fault. Had it been big Hearty he'd have taken man and ball.

There was no need to take man and ball. With a proper reaction the ball would have been comfortably gathered and any danger averted.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Oraisteach

The Athletic Grounds looked great.  Can't believe it's the same place where I played 40 yrs ago.

Really, despite the defeat, I was pleased, perhaps because I feared a rout.  I'm biased, I'll admit, but my MOM would be Nippy Swift.  Brogan was, for the most part, held in check by Donaghy, but he scored a magic point off his left.

A few disasters sank the Armagh ship.  For the opening five or ten minutes, the Armagh team was still in the locker room admiring the facilities, but once they got going, they weren't too bad.  Brogan's goal came against the run of play, just when Armagh had tied things up, but that's what makes him an amazing talent.

Perhaps the best Dublin playmaker was Armagh's goalkeeper McEvoy, whose kickouts were abysmal.  The ball must have had a color-sensitive computer chip programmed to find the color blue.

Armagh's turnovers were many and costly.  Also the right side of our defense looked very porous.

But . . . Swift took some terrific points, Charlie looked strong and determined, Duffy was good, McDonnell, when he finally adjusted to the conditions, looked dangerous.  Midfield looked solid, except on kickouts.

But ... but, when Dublin turned it up, Armagh offered inadequate resistance--again, the left side of the Dublin attack had too much pace and the Armagh made some ungainly attempts at tackling.

Still, when they were on, the orangemen moved the ball effectively and urgently.

A defeat is rarely good, especially at home, but it sure beats a lambasting. 

fitzroyalty

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 06, 2011, 12:28:37 AM
There was no need to take man and ball. With a proper reaction the ball would have been comfortably gathered and any danger averted.
Unfortunately my lamps aren't that great and couldn't see too clearly, especially at the far goal... If that is the case then questions need to be asked re McEvoy at No1.