Michaela - The Aftermath (Please exercise discretion)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, January 12, 2011, 03:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should this thread be

7 (9.2%)
Deleted
23 (30.3%)
Left as is
46 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Fear ón Srath Bán

Needs its own thread I think, but please bear in mind that anyone can view what is written here.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

The most recent posts...

Quote from: Ulick on January 12, 2011, 12:16:12 PM
One of the accused is claiming he was beaten by the police. Could see that one coming down the track like a train, especially since I heard a Mauritian journalist on the radio last night say that most (90%?) of criminal convictions there come through confessions. Maybe the Irish government should offer to send some scientists over from Forensic Science Laboratory to assist with the investigation? Last thing needed here is a miscarriage of justice.

Quote from: clarshack on January 12, 2011, 12:20:58 PM
One of the accused is claiming he was beaten by the police. Could see that one coming down the track like a train, especially since I heard a Mauritian journalist on the radio last night say that most (90%?) of criminal convictions there come through confessions. Maybe the Irish government should offer to send some scientists over from Forensic Science Laboratory to assist with the investigation? Last thing needed here is a miscarriage of justice.

would agree.

if there was a struggle i would assume there would be plenty of dna evidence.

Quote from: shezam on January 12, 2011, 02:59:16 PM
Quote from: clarshack on January 12, 2011, 12:20:58 PM

would agree.

if there was a struggle i would assume there would be plenty of dna evidence.

Could be wrong here, but i doubt if they even know what dna is over there, don't think they would have the resources to get dna evidence.

Quote from: mannix on January 12, 2011, 03:26:33 PM
I also would be wary of what the police there would do just to make it look like justice was served fast so tourists think its a safe place.Lots of people die every day in different manners but this death just makes me sick, what if the husband went up instead of her? what if she seen them before she was fully in the door?
The poor husband must be in a state, he would probably be up on assault charges for battering the robbers if he had went to the room instead of her, at least they would both get to fly home and laugh about it in years to come. Another death that sticks in my mind is the little child in fermanagh, millie maguire, raped and her back broken by her mothers boyfriend. What happened to the dirtbag that commited that crime? never heard much about it after the initial news.
We all let our guard down when on holidays and a lot of the "staff" in these places make a nice living from that dropping of the guard, unfortunately this time the victim lost alot more than a handbag.
Rest in peace Michaela.

ziggysego

Good man FoSB. This talk should not have been on the other thread.
Testing Accessibility

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

It would make you think that perhaps these people had a little side business going - seeking into rooms stealing small amounts of money or a watch or something like that. Things that you may not notice gone or if you did you'd just assume you'd left it by the pool or in the bar or something and never report it. Wee bits here and there probably earn these scumbags a fair bit of money in their country. It probably goes on more than you think in these places!
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's a fair point I'd say Benny. It would seem that whosoever were responsible had it down to a fine art, frequently practised no doubt on the unsuspecting innocents.

nrico2006

BennyHarp I would say you are right, there is no other explanation for their obvious stupidity in that they used work issued swipe cards along with the fact that there are CCTV camera's which could spot them if a guest became suspicious that something hugely valuable was missing. 

I made the point yesterday that the authorities over there would have someone in custody pretty sharpish as the main thing that they care about is protecting the Island's image as a safe tourist destination.  I heard the Chief of Police on the radio and he didn't do much to push me away from my view, all he seemed to ramble on about was that the Island relied on tourism and that this was the 1st and only time something like this has happened.  You would be worried that any hobo off the street could be made a scapegoat in this instance just to protect the Island's repuatation. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cde

what sentence do they face if convicted of murder

mannix

The world is full of scumbags, you just have to keep your eyes opened for them.
DNA evidence should be used but that place is a banana republic and DNA means nothing, and they are their own country and no outsider can force their authorities to do anything. They may make scapegoats of those fellas so as not to damage the tourism thing they have going.
I doubt justice will really be served, we will just get a semblance of it, i.e  jail someone regardless of their involvement or lack of involvement.

Fear ón Srath Bán

There must be DNA evidence, and if the Mauritian authorities don't already exploit that in litigation they surely will have to now:

... (from www.irishtimes.com)
The police chief also confirmed that Ms Harte may have tried to fight off her attacker.

"There is some signs, indications, that she might have struggled. From what we have obtained from her nails, the collections we have obtained from her nails, it looks like there may have been some struggle," he said.

orangeman

Criminal law in Mauritius is similar to the legal system Ireland and the UK, but with a French influence.

Ashveen Gopee, a barrister on the island, explained how suspects for the murder of honeymooner Michaela McAreavey could he held on remand for about one year, if necessary, as a case is built against them.

Mr Ashveen, of Astor Law Professionals in Port Louis, said once police believe they have substantial evidence against an arrested person, they would lodge a provisional charge of murder at a district court.

The case is heard by a magistrate, who is a trained lawyer, not a lay person.

"Bail acts are also similar to British law so the person would probably be denied bail," said Mr Ashveen.

"A judicial inquiry will then be carried out by police officers and the case will be called back by the magistrate at different stages to see how the investigation is continuing."

A formal charge of murder, or a lesser charge, is lodged against the person in one of the follow-up hearings.

Rarely, a magistrate will strike out a case over a lack of evidence against a suspect.

Mr Gopee revealed a suspect can be held in a police cell for 21 days, after which time he or she must be sent to a jail until the case goes to trial.

Murder cases are usually tried before a jury at the Assizes Court of Mauritius.

Mr Gopee said Mrs McAreavey's murder has shocked people across the island.

"This is a very, very unfortunate case," he added.

"For honeymooners to come to Mauritius and have this fate – everybody in Mauritius is quite shocked."

Mauritian law is an amalgam of French and British legal tradition after the Indian Ocean island was colonised by the two nations.

During the French period, the island's legal system was governed by the French Napoleonic Code, which remained in force under British rule.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcareavey-murder-suspects-could-be-held-on-remand-for-a-year-489043.html#ixzz1Aq9gjM7g

orangeman

One of the men charged in connection with the death of Michaela Harte has claimed he was the victim of police brutality yesterday, and his lawyer has called for an inquiry.

Journalist with News Now in Mauritius, Mayessen Naggapachetty said that Abinash Treeboowoon, 29, made a statement in court claiming that he was subjected to police brutality.

His legal counsel asked for medical treatment for his client, and an inquiry to be launched into the treatment of his client by investigators.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/michaela-mcareavey-murder-accused-calls-for-inquiry-into-police-brutality-489009.html#ixzz1AqA6oMs4

orangeman

The killing of Michaela McAreavey has left the whole nation of Mauritius in mourning, tourism authorities said today.

However the death should be seen as an isolated incident, Jo Hartley from the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority said.

She added the tourism industry was vital to the island nation's economy.

Mauritius is in an idyllic position in the Indian Ocean off the southern African coast and draws thousands of honeymooners and holidaymakers from Ireland and the UK every year.

Ms Hartley said: "This is the first time this has occurred. We are trying to reassure people that it is not something that happens on a daily basis."

"The whole nation has gone into mourning because it is so shocking for them."

Mauritius has been a major attraction for tourists, with miles of golden sand, turquoise waves, clusters of shady coconut trees and tropical temperatures.

Ms Hartley said she could not remember a similar incident before. She added Mauritius was not poverty-stricken, with local people employed in the resort hotels as cooks and waiters.

"They try to keep an economy where local people can benefit as well. None of the beaches are private so locals can enjoy the coastline as much as the hotel guests," she added.

"It is not one of those segregated places, people tend to have a sense of harmony and to interact well."

Mauritius is an ethnic melting pot, formerly ruled by the Dutch, French and British, and full of descendants of the European powers, African creoles, Indian labourers and Chinese traders.

A spokesman for the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) said the killing of Ms McAreavey was being viewed as an isolated incident.

"I think it is very important that the Mauritian authorities take very swift action, which they have done," he said.

"People need to be reassured that they will be safe and that is exactly what we have seen, that should reassure people this is very much an isolated incident."

Neither the Irish nor the British governments have put any warnings about visits to the island on its travel advice website relating to the killing.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mauritius-in-mourning-over-michaela-murder-489065.html#ixzz1AqAeY4yx

fitzroyalty

Just noticed an online Book of Condolences on Facebook has been desecrated. Sick.