RIP Michaela McAreavey

Started by MR99, January 10, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Have been off this site for a good few months, but in Barcelona atm and only heard about this awful event this evening. I can do nothing but offer my deepest sympathies and prayers for Michaela and for John and the Harte family.
Tbc....

Baile an tuaigh

I feel like someone close to me has died. Yet I have only ever met her once. An Irish princess. Still in a state of shock and disbelief. Why oh why has this happened?
To Michaela's family all I can say is when someone you deeply love dies part of you dies.
  Mickeys face in his interview with the news tonight, was very heartbreaking to watch. The love dignity and courage he displayed will last with me for a long time. Not to forget Michaelas poor broken hearted mother. A woman we never hear or seldom see. Yet its with great credit to her and Mickey  for the up bringing  they gave  their beautiful daughter, she became the lady she was.
Since 1997 and the death of Paul Mc Girr I adopted Tyrone as my own County and followed them ever since. That story has been one of triumph and tragedy. Happiness and sadness.
Living from home for 15 years now, my one ambition in life was to see Tyrone on the big stage. I got to see them win the All-Ireland in 2008. After the final whistle I sat in the Hogan stand feeling very emotional thinking of Paul Mc Girr, Cormac McAnallen, John Devines father who had just died. Never in my wildest nightmares would I expect such a tragedy to fall on Michaela.
To the Harte/McAreavey families who have lost a daughter daughter in law, a sister, a wife God bless I am truly sorry for your devastating loss. I wish there was something I could do. Until your own name is called you are going to have to live the rest of your lives the way Michaela would have wanted you to. The next few years are going to be very tough.
Ireland has lost their princess our own "Roisin dubh". Very, very sorry this has happened.
Go dtuga Dia agat ina lámha agus tú a choinneáil go deo

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 11, 2011, 03:43:27 PM
That little girl by her Daddy's side,
Engaged, clued in,
That little girl her Daddy's pride,
His shining light within

'97 and heartbreak for Paul,
'98 first Minor then U21 by two,
That little girl had read the runes
Thus far her word was true

Then 2003 and Heaven's Door,
As that little girl had said,
All those years before,
And still by her Daddy's side

2004 and Cormac's cruel blow,
Not just now by her Daddy's side,
But for each and ev'ry soul,
A towering rock by every side

2011 and two SAMs more,
That little girl was wed,
The happiest couple on a foreign shore,
It can't be that she's dead

RIP Michaela, and God's Strength John.

Always enjoy reading your posts John. I new at this tragic time your first comment would be special. This poetry should be in Michealas Mass card. Absolutely brilliant. What a tribute to one of Irelands finest daughters.

Trout

Three men charged, aged 29, 33 and 41. Two with murder and one with conspiracy to murder.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Declan

Just listened to Cormac McAnallen's mother talking about the Hartes on the radio. Very impressive lady and again confirmed what dignified families the Harte's and McAreavey's are. Also Fr McAleer painted a wonderful picture of Michaela and John. Their faith is obviously a huge part of their lives and I hope they all find the stregth in the coming days, weeks and years ahead to come to the terms with what has happened.     

Joxer

Just listening to RTE there and they have said that 2 room attendants and a supervisor are to be charged.

It doesnt bear thinking about what John is going through.  Watching the news last night and watching them two young fellas and their father was harrowing to watch!

Don Johnson

Quote from: Joxer on January 12, 2011, 08:38:40 AM
Just listening to RTE there and they have said that 2 room attendants and a supervisor are to be charged.

It doesnt bear thinking about what John is going through.  Watching the news last night and watching them two young fellas basically hold their father up was harrowing to watch!

I got the impression from the interview it was Mickey holding the two boys up. Don't know how they didn't break down completely.

Joxer

From RTE:

Police in Mauritius are expected to charge three men today in connection with the murder of Michaela McAreavey.

The 27-year-old daughter of Tyrone football manager Mickey Harte was on her honeymoon on the Indian Ocean island.

The three men arrested are from Mauritius and are employees of the hotel where Mrs McAreavey was found dead two days ago.

Two are room attendants and the third is a supervisor. They are Avinash Treebhoowoon 29, Raj Theekoy, 33, and floor supervisor Sandip Moneea, 41.

It is understood that two of the men face a provisional charge of murder, while the other faces a provisional charge of conspiracy to murder.

Mauritius police inspector Ranjit Jokhoo said it is too early to say exactly how many people were involved in Mrs McAreavey's death.

Mrs McAreavey was found dead in her hotel room by her husband John on Monday.

A post mortem examination found that she had been strangled.

At a news conference this morning, which coincided with the start of the court appearance, police said when returning to their room, John found his wife's body in water in the bath.

According to police, they are confident they have the main culprits in connection with their investigation.

Mrs McAreavey's brother and brother-in-law are expected in Mauritius today, as is the Irish Ambassador in South Africa Brendan McMahon.

Mickey Harte yesterday thanked all those who have offered support to the family following his daughter's death and appealed for respect for the privacy of his son-in-law.

Joxer

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 12, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
Quote from: Joxer on January 12, 2011, 08:38:40 AM

It doesnt bear thinking about what John is going through.  Watching the news last night and watching them two young fellas basically hold their father up was harrowing to watch!

I got the impression from the interview it was Mickey holding the two boys up. Don't know how they didn't break down completely.

Say they were holding each other up.  Was desperate to watch and must make it 10 times worse when they cant do a thing about it when it happens on the other side of the world.

Banana Man

I still can't get my head around it. If they were robbing the place could they not just have tied her up or something, why oh why did they have to kill her, it makes me so angry that these inhumane animals could do such a thing while poor john was so close by.

The interview with micky would bring tears to a stone surely, logan was the perfect man for the job. I hope and pray Brian gets out to John soon and has arrived before the court appearance, how john is meant to hold it together is beyond comprehension.

Why do the bad things always happen to good people, it just makes me wonder about life and God and how micky maintains his faith is superhuman.

God help everyone affected. It is beyond words at this stage.

glens abu

Absolutley shocking news and watching Mickey Harte speak about his daughter last night was heartbreaking.May she rest in Peace.

seafoid

Mickey Harte was incredibly dignified on that clip. The pain must be overwhelming but he got a very important message out. It
was a tribute to the man he is. 

It  reminded me of a poem by Mairtin o Direain called "Dinit an Bhroin".  Fair play too to Adrian Logan for a very  sensitive  interview.     

Bud Wiser

Just on the news there that Mickey has made a statement that he wants Tyrones McKenna Cup game to go ahead.  Seems like the magnetic strip on the door entry lock records on computer is all the evidence or most of the evidence they will need.  Unbelievable that a supervisor gave the card to them to rob the room but as someone has alreadyt said, why did the animals have to do what they did?  They must be the lowest form of life on this planet.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Jinxy

Quote from: Tubberman on January 12, 2011, 09:21:57 AM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 09:16:11 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 12, 2011, 09:10:59 AM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 08:54:11 AM

So it was the hotel Staff! who probably planned to rob but ended up killing Michaela. i just hope justice is done to those three now

They should face trial first. Probablys do no one justice.

Im sure they were seen on CCTV entering the room & bringing them to justice might bring small comfort to the Harte family & John

No, there is no CCTV in the corridoors outside the rooms according to reports. It's mainly around the perimiter of the resort.
From listening to the radio, the justice system in Mauritius works differently to ours. At the start of the investigations, the suspects are charged with the most serious charge they could be guilty of. As the evidence is analysed etc, those charges can be reduced. So I wouldn't necessarily make the assumption that those are going to be the final charges.

Maybe a different thread in the non-gaa section should be created for the court proceedings. I think this thread is more for messages of sympathy and support.

+1
Discussion of the details of this horrific crime doesn't belong in this thread.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

balladmaker

QuoteI still can't get my head around it. If they were robbing the place could they not just have tied her up or something, why oh why did they have to kill her, it makes me so angry that these inhumane animals could do such a thing while poor john was so close by.

Agreed. It's a messed up world isn't strong enough.