RIP Michaela McAreavey

Started by MR99, January 10, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Just read this article there now, really  hit home:

http://mikenesbitt.co.uk/2011/01/10/michaela-harte/

Lynda and I met Michaela Harte when her father brought her into the UTV studios some years ago when he was there for an interview. It is easy to say now that they were the perfect father-daughter combination, but you get a sense of these things, and I trust mine almost as much as I trust Lynda's – and we both thought the same.

What a shock to hear that Michaela has gone. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hartes and the McAreaveys.

Mickey Harte did the most wonderful thing for me once. I asked if he would help a young man who was dying of cancer by letting him watch Tyrone train ahead of the 2003 All-Ireland Final. He did, and he ensured the team treated young David Gillespie as a superstar. But that is what decent people do. Mickey went the extra mile. He let it be known he did not want to read of David's passing in the papers; he wanted a call. And I am afraid he got it the weekend after he took his Tyrone team to Croke Park.

Mickey visited David's mum and dad during the wake. Anne could not believe it when she saw Mickey Harte in his match day suit at their front door – so imagine how she felt when Mickey stood back to reveal the entire Sam Maguire winning team were also there, in their match day suits, to pay their respects to a boy they had met for only half an hour.

It was an act of uncommon humanity in the midst of terrible grief for the Gillespies and unprecedented celebration for Tyrone GAA.

It is hard to take on board that a man who did so much for a mother and father who suffered the loss of a child now has to experience even more sudden and unexpected loss himself.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doogie Browser

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 11, 2011, 09:19:37 AM

Lynda and I met Michaela Harte when her father brought her into the UTV studios some years ago when he was there for an interview. It is easy to say now that they were the perfect father-daughter combination, but you get a sense of these things, and I trust mine almost as much as I trust Lynda’s – and we both thought the same.

What a shock to hear that Michaela has gone. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hartes and the McAreaveys.

Mickey Harte did the most wonderful thing for me once. I asked if he would help a young man who was dying of cancer by letting him watch Tyrone train ahead of the 2003 All-Ireland Final. He did, and he ensured the team treated young David Gillespie as a superstar. But that is what decent people do. Mickey went the extra mile. He let it be known he did not want to read of David’s passing in the papers; he wanted a call. And I am afraid he got it the weekend after he took his Tyrone team to Croke Park.

Mickey visited David’s mum and dad during the wake. Anne could not believe it when she saw Mickey Harte in his match day suit at their front door – so imagine how she felt when Mickey stood back to reveal the entire Sam Maguire winning team were also there, in their match day suits, to pay their respects to a boy they had met for only half an hour.

It was an act of uncommon humanity in the midst of terrible grief for the Gillespies and unprecedented celebration for Tyrone GAA.

It is hard to take on board that a man who did so much for a mother and father who suffered the loss of a child now has to experience even more sudden and unexpected loss himself.

Tears in my eyes reading that nrico.

Simon Says

RIP michaela beautiful intelligent girl. god rest her soul.

DubOnHoliday

On behalf of all posters at ReservoirDubs.com I'd like to express our deepest sympathies to the Harte family to John's family and to the Tyrone and Down GAA families at this terrible time. God rest her.

J OGorman

shocking shocking news. also as a father to a little angel, I cannot begin to imagine what Micky and both families are going through. I hope they garner the strength from somewhere to get through this as best they can. RIP Michaela

omagh_gael

Just can't get my head round this at all. That poor poor girl. God rest her.

brokencrossbar1

Absolutely shocking and very hard to take in due to the nature of when and how it happened.  Deepest sympathies to the Harte and McAreavey family. 

deiseach

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 11, 2011, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 11, 2011, 09:19:37 AM

Lynda and I met Michaela Harte when her father brought her into the UTV studios some years ago when he was there for an interview. It is easy to say now that they were the perfect father-daughter combination, but you get a sense of these things, and I trust mine almost as much as I trust Lynda's – and we both thought the same.

Mickey Harte did the most wonderful thing for me once. I asked if he would help a young man who was dying of cancer by letting him watch Tyrone train ahead of the 2003 All-Ireland Final. He did, and he ensured the team treated young David Gillespie as a superstar. But that is what decent people do. Mickey went the extra mile. He let it be known he did not want to read of David's passing in the papers; he wanted a call. And I am afraid he got it the weekend after he took his Tyrone team to Croke Park.

Mickey visited David's mum and dad during the wake. Anne could not believe it when she saw Mickey Harte in his match day suit at their front door – so imagine how she felt when Mickey stood back to reveal the entire Sam Maguire winning team were also there, in their match day suits, to pay their respects to a boy they had met for only half an hour.

Tears in my eyes reading that nrico.

I was welling up too, what an extraordinary story. Should be pinned to the top of the forum. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam uasal

illdecide

RIP Michaela. Still can't believe it myself, i can't even try to imagine what John and Michaela's family are going through right now. As everyone stated Micky and Michaela seemed to be so close and had the perfect father-daughter relationship.

Micky has a very strong catholic faith and i just hope it helps him through this terrible time in his life, i played football against John and have been in his company before for a few pints and he's a gentleman and a really nice lad.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Billys Boots

As so many others have said, sad and shocking news - my sympathies to all involved.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bingo

Absolute tragedy, very hard to take it all in, I can't imagine how the families must be feeling.

Deepest sympathies to the Harte and McAreavey family. RIP

shawshank

Really am shocked by this news and the nature of her death, has only made the reality of the situation alot worst. I can't get the thoughts of this out of my head since I heard about it late yesterday afternoon, to the extent I was waking up last night in bed thinking about it. Now that is just me, a nobody with no connection to the family, so I ask myself how extreme are the turmoils each of the family members associated with this tragedy must feel, and I can't even start to understand the place they are now in. My heart goes out to each and every one of them, especially Mickey and his immediate family, and her husband John. What a tragedy

Bud Wiser

Quote from: DubOnHoliday on January 11, 2011, 09:32:35 AM
On behalf of all posters at ReservoirDubs.com I'd like to express our deepest sympathies to the Harte family to John's family and to the Tyrone and Down GAA families at this terrible time. God rest her.

That will be very much appreciated by all the members of this board DOH as indeed it would be by the families and friends of Michaela.  Thanks.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sad-tribute-from-priest-who-watched-beautiful-young-woman-grow-up-2491115.html?service=Print

Sad tribute from priest who watched 'beautiful young woman' grow up
By Francis Mooney
Tuesday January 11 2011
Mickey Harte's life-long friend, Fr Gerard McAleer, last night paid tribute to "a beautiful young woman" who had never been happier.
Fr McAleer, who baptised Michaela 27 years ago and officiated at her wedding less than two weeks ago, spoke of her love for the GAA, her pride in her family, and her joy at beginning married life with her husband, John McAreavey.
"I knew Michaela from the day she came into the world on the last day of the year in 1983, I baptised her. I have seen her grow up.
"I watched her go to primary school, go to the convent and go on to be a teacher.
"I have seen here grow into a very beautiful young woman, intensely interested in the GAA, intensely proud of her family, intensely proud of her mum and dad, very, very well adjusted, just somebody you could be very, very proud of.
"I'm stunned, we use words like this at times of intense tragedy, words like unbelievable," he said.
Fr McAleer concelebrated the wedding Mass along with the groom's uncle, Bishop John McAreavey, in St Malachy's Church, Ballymacilroy, on December 30, an occasion that brought untold happiness to Michaela.
"I never saw her happier than she was on her wedding day. She was radiant. She couldn't have been happier.
"The family were saying to me how proud she was that day, content, looking forward to the future.
"It was a happy day for everybody," he added.
It was Fr McAleer's friendship with Mickey Harte that saw him develop a deep interest in Gaelic football coaching and management.
- Francis Mooney