Paul Galvin

Started by redandblackareback, December 21, 2010, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Galvin is a bit different. The media play on this. He's no angel and he's an easy target due to past form. Personally I think he seems like a cool dude who is a very committed footballer with a great will to win.

haze

Quote from: ONeill on December 29, 2010, 09:05:06 AM
Definitely a colourful character. I missed the start of it and assume this was a documentary on the life of the then current Player of the Year? No problem with that and always an interesting concept.

The man may be full of contradictions, especially regarding his attitude to the media be it on TV or print, but it was decent viewing and much better than a lot of the crap we're subjected to over Christmas.

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Galvin or the show, it was nice to see a GAA programme on at a prime time on RTE-  whats rare is beautiful.. Pity RTE couldn't come up with a few more over Christmas. TG4 puts them to shame.

Also might get a few lads down in the pub to forget about the Premier League for 5 minutes at least... i can only hope

mannix

it is the irishmans fear of wearing anything the rest of the herd would not wear or looking different. Not a fan of galvin but he is right not to be too bothered about what the rednecks in kerry or elsewhere think.And if cork had one or two like him they would not be runners up so often.

ck

Galvin craves attention, simple as that.
When he then gets unwanted attention from people on the Sunday Game who simply point out what he has done (yet again) he plays the victim. He wants his cake and eats it!
You can't do an RTE documentary, go on the late late show, allow cameras follow him to NYC, plaster himself in tatoos and wear statement clothing and NOT crave the limelight... but then as soon as someone points out that he stuck his finger in an apponants mouth he huffs and puffs like a spoilt child.
I personally believe that there is loads of room for flamboyant characters in our games but not those who have low discipline levels and expect us to ignore these and concentrate only on his latest pair of shiny shoes!

Having got involved in all of the pr waffle lately it isnt going to be any easier for Galvin in 2011. Clearly all of the recent pr stuff is geared towards a new media career.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 29, 2010, 12:42:52 AM
He's a man who's very troubled - everyone is against him as far as he is concerned. I think it works for him on the football pitch as it's probably very easy to fire yourself up when you think everyone is against you. However in the rest of his life it'll cause him problems I would think.

Mattie Forde and Tomas O'Se to name but two have had a fair amount of "trial by television" and you don't see them going on tv raising all these problems.

I have no great problem with the guy - like I said before he's a very good footballer - however he does come across very troubled and I'm not sure he'd have the personality for a media career.

I have no idea whether he does or doesn't do any charity work but in the scheme of him as a footballer or him as a media personality it doesn't matter one iota.

mattie got everything he deserved, probably warranted more for the disgusting act which he did. he would have no right to complain

ck

Quote from: mannix on December 29, 2010, 02:01:05 PM
it is the irishmans fear of wearing anything the rest of the herd would not wear or looking different. Not a fan of galvin but he is right not to be too bothered about what the rednecks in kerry or elsewhere think.And if cork had one or two like him they would not be runners up so often.

His wearing of different clothes has never been an issue and as he said himself he has never got any stick about it.
My problem with him is that he states that he gets OTT attention from the media based on his antics on the pitch. He blames everyone except himself and when he does look at himself he does so reluctantly.
He cost Kerry an All-Ireland last year. If I was a Kerry man I'd be more annoyed with that than his latest centre fold.

Jinxy

Quote from: haze on December 29, 2010, 01:54:11 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 29, 2010, 09:05:06 AM
Definitely a colourful character. I missed the start of it and assume this was a documentary on the life of the then current Player of the Year? No problem with that and always an interesting concept.

The man may be full of contradictions, especially regarding his attitude to the media be it on TV or print, but it was decent viewing and much better than a lot of the crap we're subjected to over Christmas.

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Galvin or the show, it was nice to see a GAA programme on at a prime time on RTE-  whats rare is beautiful.. Pity RTE couldn't come up with a few more over Christmas. TG4 puts them to shame.

Also might get a few lads down in the pub to forget about the Premier League for 5 minutes at least... i can only hope

I thought it was very well filmed.
Some great shots of the beautiful scenery in Kerry.
Good soundtrack too.
The match footage really captured the speed and intensity of championship football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

supersub

What the hell does what type of clothes he wears have to do with anything? So what if he is stylish and doesnt wear O'Neills trackies or farming gear 24/7. Are you not allowed to have a personality in the GAA and interests away from the game?

hsthompson

He seems completely vacant to me. That documentary tried very hard to portray him well but the man just seems like a bit of an ignoramus. Just like the Late Late Show he wasn't able to articulate his thoughts at all, he just speaks in short cliches, "sure that's the way it goes like". He might make a good politician as he's able to talk away but say absolutely nothing of any substance. For somebody who obviously wants to portray themselves as being very much an individual and a bit of a maverick he's incredibly dull. Being vain and into clothes doesn't make him interesting, nor does it mean he'd actually be any good at working in fashion. A complete charisma free zone, cannot see why RTE bothered making that show.
P.s - he watches 'the city' on mtv? It's a show for 13 year old girls

Fear ón Srath Bán

Interesting piece of television last night, if only to show us that regardless of Paul Galvin's feet of gold on the field, off it he has feet of clay like the rest of us.

He's full of the frailties of human nature, contradictions and all, but so what? Though he may not have that telegenic appeal and articulacy in front of the camera, he may still find a niche in the media, possibly around fashion somehow (and a brave decision to ditch the teaching). And being slightly different in that respect with his attire is no issue either,vive la difference!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 29, 2010, 12:48:02 PM
QuoteReality is, he's a liar. He DID bust Cadogans mouth with an elbow before the tussel on the ground, he was also caught on camera throwing a right hook that didn't connect

put up your evidence for viewing or feck off with this shite. I have a clip of O'Halpin's headbutt in the hurling and a few great clips of Cadogan and Canty and a few others in "action" too if you want to play tit for tat. At least the winter boxing in Rylane last year wasn't wasted on the Cork Footballers, if only the dumb shites could figure out how to put in a gum shield !!

Had a great laugh at Noel O'Leary prancing about like a rabid dog trying to get Galvin provoked, and Galvin laughing at him. Fair play to Galvin, who gives a flying f**k what he wears, his hatred of all things Cork is great to see and the 2011 season can't come soon enough.

Galvin spent the last year trying to whip up publicity for his pathetic fashion career, yeah good luck with that!
How many more shows and newspapers will he whore himself on? Oh and why did he give up teaching, nothing to do with busting some kids head with a duster? Funny the Doc didn't mention that bit ;D

Galvins in his last year along with a good many other kerry players, and I see feck all coming down the pipeline  :'(

The Worker

Anyone know is this show gonna be repeated?

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on December 29, 2010, 06:00:13 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 29, 2010, 12:48:02 PM
QuoteReality is, he's a liar. He DID bust Cadogans mouth with an elbow before the tussel on the ground, he was also caught on camera throwing a right hook that didn't connect

put up your evidence for viewing or feck off with this shite. I have a clip of O'Halpin's headbutt in the hurling and a few great clips of Cadogan and Canty and a few others in "action" too if you want to play tit for tat. At least the winter boxing in Rylane last year wasn't wasted on the Cork Footballers, if only the dumb shites could figure out how to put in a gum shield !!

Had a great laugh at Noel O'Leary prancing about like a rabid dog trying to get Galvin provoked, and Galvin laughing at him. Fair play to Galvin, who gives a flying f**k what he wears, his hatred of all things Cork is great to see and the 2011 season can't come soon enough.

Galvin spent the last year trying to whip up publicity for his pathetic fashion career, yeah good luck with that!
How many more shows and newspapers will he whore himself on? Oh and why did he give up teaching, nothing to do with busting some kids head with a duster? Funny the Doc didn't mention that bit ;D

Galvins in his last year along with a good many other kerry players, and I see feck all coming down the pipeline  :'(

There'll be no more soft AI for ye from now. We let ye have ye're "pity" AI to stop ye embarrasing the province. 

Stupid langers.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: The Worker on December 29, 2010, 06:13:45 PM
Anyone know is this show gonna be repeated?

With Galvin you are always guaranteed a repeat! ;)

ross matt

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2010, 12:11:24 AM
Quote from: ross matt on December 28, 2010, 11:44:53 PM
There was  absolutely no point to the entire documentary. The guy is completely up his own ass.  He constantly contradicts himself... complaining about media intrusion whilst allowing himself to be the centre of a fly on the wall hour long tv show. Obviously looking to raise his profile and forge a career in fashion... possibly media. Trying way too hard to look cool and complicated... rebel without a cause and all that shite. How many shots were there of him poncin around jeans that were spray painted on to him FFS? Farcical stuff. Totally contrived crap. Plenty of leverage there for his 2011 opponents there.
Embarrassing post. This provided a a response to the radio shows, newspaper columns and The Sunday Game which slate the guy without giving him a right to reply. This was his right to reply so it's the exact opposite of media intrusion. At no point does he seem like he is trying to be cool or complicated. You might have a case with his Late Late appearance, but not this.
Sorry you're embarrassed about the post Tony but it's my opinion on the programme. Have a look at some of the other posts and you'll see many others took the same view.