Cocaine use in RTE

Started by seafoid, December 19, 2010, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ocallaghan-to-blow-whistle-on-rampant-coke-use-in-rte-2466623.html?service=Print

Very interesting. Behind the glamour of the drug is a brutal world of gangsters, rape, summary executions and unimaginable violence. 

screenmachine

Not to disagree with the point you are making but i can't see how rape fits into this category along with the other crimes associated with cocaine?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Tyrones own

Quote from: screenmachine on December 19, 2010, 04:31:30 PM
Not to disagree with the point you are making but i can't see how rape fits into this category along with the other crimes associated with cocaine?
Cause it's balls to the wall at every turn with these lads Screen...don't actually know how they get out of bed in the mornings  :'(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Lady GAA GAA

ARE WE ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT DRUGS ON THE GAABOARD

BROKEN IRELAND

seafoid

Cocaine imports into Europe are controlled by Italian, Albano-Kosovan and Mexican gangs who are also the main players in sex trafficking which involves appalling sexual violence against women.

seafoid

Tyrones own

Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2010, 05:18:18 PM

Cocaine imports into Europe are controlled by Italian, Albano-Kosovan and Mexican gangs who are also the main players in sex trafficking which involves appalling sexual violence against women.
So are you saying that if it weren't for Cocaine there'd be no human trafficking or violent sexual crimes against women  ???
  - Walter Lippmann

Fear ón Srath Bán

Don't think he's saying that at all TO. Just pointing out that cocaine use in Europe is mired in human hardship - fact.

Typical right-wing response: it's either black or it's white, no shades of grey. You've learned well from your political idol GWB  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 19, 2010, 05:24:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2010, 05:18:18 PM

So are you saying that if it weren't for Cocaine there'd be no human trafficking or violent sexual crimes against women  ???

In the 1990s, when young women began to disappear from the poorest shantytowns in the city, and then turned up like so much waste matter, bruised, raped, mutilated, and dead, police officers laughed in the faces of the distraught parents who appealed to them for help. Reporting on the story, I stood one afternoon on a gray hill covered in gray dust above a gray squatter settlement and looked across the river at the faux-adobe office buildings of El Paso. Around me the tumbleweed jittered in the breeze, and plastic supermarket bags and odds and ends of clothing fluttered everywhere, as if all the trash in all of Mexico had beached itself at this spot. A few hundred yards downhill lived the sister of one of the disappeared girls, and for all the outreach by NGOs and solidarity groups concerned with the murders, she seemed as isolated and vulnerable as it was possible for a young woman to be.

Speculation has been never-ending about who was responsible for the murder of those girls—there were several dozen of them, tangled among the statistics for hundreds of other, more random female homicides. It was always clear that the police were somehow involved—the grotesque laughter at the police station, the switched clothing on a couple of bodies eventually returned by police to the bereaved families, the systematic destruction of evidence, all pointed in their direction. But it seemed unlikely that lowly police officers would have the political backing to engage on their own in sick serial murders and remain unpunished, even as a worldwide campaign mounted to protest the killings.

I remember asking back then if a likely culprit might not be the lord of Juárez, Amado Carrillo Fuentes, who was the most powerful trafficker of his day. Who else, in the course of doing regular business, could buy off enough politicians, police commanders, and justice officials to guarantee himself immunity under any circumstances? Conceivably, Carrillo Fuentes or his minions had developed a fascination with death that went beyond the strictly professional. Several of the girls had one breast sliced off, and in a shack in the desert some weird graffiti seemed also to have ritual meaning.

None of us reporters understood much then about the new religious cults mushrooming in the drug world—notably the Santa Muerte, or Holy Death, a Halloweenish figure identical to the hooded skeleton who makes frequent appearances in biker art. Her cult has spread well beyond the jailhouses where she is revered, and now that altars to the gloomy skeleton are everywhere in the country and we have heard of young migrant girls from Central America being killed and offered to the Santa Muerte by the particular branch of the drug mafia devoted to human trafficking, there is more reason to wonder if the current traffickers' obsession with nauseating forms of murder did not start back then

Bogball XV

Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2010, 03:36:43 PM
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ocallaghan-to-blow-whistle-on-rampant-coke-use-in-rte-2466623.html?service=Print

Very interesting. Behind the glamour of the drug is a brutal world of gangsters, rape, summary executions and unimaginable violence.
it's an awful piece of journalism imo.  Not too much by way of fact in it.

In saying that, i don't think anyone would be surprised if it was true, but should we really care? 

There is of course a very simple solution to most of the problems caused by illegal drug trafficking etc, but then legalisation would be too sensible wouldn't it.

Tyrones own

QuoteDon't think he's saying that at all TO. Just pointing out that cocaine use in Europe is mired in human hardship - fact.
I'd then point out that drug use the world over is mired in human hardship- fact, why stop at RTE  :-\
*Edit
QuoteTypical right-wing response: it's either black or it's white, no shades of grey. You've learned well from your political idol GWB  ;)
Do you never get fed up standing on that river bank?  ;)
  - Walter Lippmann

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 19, 2010, 05:48:20 PM
QuoteDon't think he's saying that at all TO. Just pointing out that cocaine use in Europe is mired in human hardship - fact.
I'd then point out that drug use the world over is mired in human hardship- fact, why stop at RTE  :-\

Because RTE is the national broadcaster, who ostensibly campaigned and campaigns against hards drugs use, and who exists only because of the taxpayer -- we're effectively subsidising their drugs habits (those that indulge).

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 19, 2010, 05:48:20 PM
Do you never get fed up standing on that river bank?  ;)

Nope!  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrones own

Ah come on...how big a shock is this really? cocaine is rampant everywhere nowadays unfortunately.
I have absolutely no problem with the highlighting of it as a problem in society but FFS bringing up the
rape and trafficking of women over a handful of wealthy fcuks at RTE snorting coke is OTT imo,
typically sensationalistic if you will !
  - Walter Lippmann

seafoid

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 19, 2010, 06:21:24 PM
Ah come on...how big a shock is this really? cocaine is rampant everywhere nowadays unfortunately.
I have absolutely no problem with the highlighting of it as a problem in society but FFS bringing up the
rape and trafficking of women over a handful of wealthy fcuks at RTE snorting coke is OTT imo,
typically sensationalistic if you will !

A oinseach

It is all linked. The celebs with the noses are the ones at the end of a long chain of brutality. Ireland has plenty of trafficked women, sex slaves, something unthinkable 20 years ago. 

CiKe

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 19, 2010, 05:36:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2010, 03:36:43 PM

it's an awful piece of journalism imo.  Not too much by way of fact in it.

In saying that, i don't think anyone would be surprised if it was true, but should we really care? 

There is of course a very simple solution to most of the problems caused by illegal drug trafficking etc, but then legalisation would be too sensible wouldn't it.

Hard to disagree with any of that. but sure what do you expect from a sh*t paper but sh*t journalism.