Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Zapatista on December 16, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 16, 2010, 11:33:29 PM
Leopardstown?

Don't you mean Kempton Park?  ;)

http://www.kinggeorgechase.com/

No, if I was I wouldn't have needed to be so specific.
Sorry, when you referred to the "big race" on December 26th, I automatically thought of the King George. I must be too long in England... ;)

Quote from: Zapatista on December 16, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 16, 2010, 11:38:12 PM
It is yet another major difference between north and south, but I think with work, this is one that can be overcome.

No way. It's one of the few things I have left >:(
The way things are going, Southerners will all be calling it "Stephanitag" before long... :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 16, 2010, 10:31:28 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on December 16, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
I have not read any of this thread but who really gives a shite what its called at the end of the day  :-\

Here here! But the person who started the thread was apparantly talking to people who actually didn't even understand what he was talking about when he mentioned St Stephens day! Being very sceptical by nature, i find this hard to believe. If he was talking to people from the north who he so patronisingly describes as a Northern Irish Nationalist, I'd suggest those people were either taking the piss out of the simpleton, or he is lying and never actually spoke to anyone and has started this thread to get a reaction!

No I am not lying and yes they where very serious. I will admit this Anglicised Irish Nationalist phenomena appears to be an almost exclusively East of the Bann one. Most people I meet from Armagh, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh seem less Anglicised.

I have a friend who is a Northern Irish Unionist and she can Irish dance and is fluent in Irish and I sometimes wonder who is the West Brit her or my flatmate.
Wait for the abuse from the Shinners that an Fine Gaeler has a Unionist friend, they will put 2 & 2 together and get 1690  ::)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 17, 2010, 12:34:05 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 17, 2010, 12:19:00 AM

http://www.kinggeorgechase.com/

Was he one of the Sachsen-Coburg und Gothas  ;D

Yep, that's the current incumbent of the English/Norman/Anglo-Saxon/Jute/Frisian/Celtic/Pagan Woebegone Throne that you're thinking of: one Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg Gotha (Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha); latterly anglicised to the nearest looking "quaint Englischer village from vhich ve can take oor name in vhich to blend in seamlessly viz ze neighbours kind of 'Weeeindsor'".

Yep, and boy did they succeed!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tubberman

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 16, 2010, 11:49:53 PM
Why do Southern Irish Nationalists call St Patricks Day, Paddys Day!

Because Paddy is short for Patrick....
That wasn't a very difficult question. I think, with some thought, you could have come to that conclusion all by yourself.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tubberman on December 17, 2010, 08:53:24 AM

Because Paddy is short for Patrick....
That wasn't a very difficult question. I think, with some thought, you could have come to that conclusion all by yourself.

So you dont call him Saint Patrick then? Thats ok then - Looking forward to Stevie's Day!
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

Them Munster kutehoors trying to break away ?? :o

Seriously ... it's secularism trying to dump another Christian tradition
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on December 17, 2010, 03:11:08 PM

Them Munster kutehoors trying to break away ?? :o

Seriously ... it's secularism trying to dump another Christian tradition

Is that something to do with DeValeras Partionist Munster Republic, thank fck for Big Mick Collins for ending that partition of Ireland.

Rossfan

Now if we could only get Mayo to eff off  ;D ;D ;D....... and perhaps join Iceland

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on December 17, 2010, 05:42:15 PM
Now if we could only get Mayo to eff off  ;D ;D ;D....... and perhaps join Iceland

Will the new annex of the Greater Mayo (if the counties merge like expected) be joining us. Its great now Mayo has an Atlantic Coast and laps up against the Shannon. Also does that mean that MAYO-roscommon will have 5 All-Irelands and 60 something Connacht titles? We might manage a 6'th with the new available squad + Bellaghy  ;D

Rossfan

There will of course be no ex Mayomen on the new panel... just ex Rossies plus the ex - displaced persons  Andy M and Hanley.  :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on December 17, 2010, 08:14:50 PM
There will of course be no ex Mayomen on the new panel... just ex Rossies plus the ex - displaced persons  Andy M and Hanley.  :D

ha ha, Sligo will have to wait another 1/3'rd of a century to win a Connacht if this happens.  :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com