S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: andoireabu on December 16, 2010, 07:04:44 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 16, 2010, 03:54:08 PM
There is a massive campaign within the sport of horse racing for AP to win to give the sport a much needed boost.
Also hear there is one against him by animal rights folk as a lot of his horses end up put down.  Think it was in one of the papers near the start of the week if not last weekend

Have never heard of a Caddie having to be put down...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Hardy on December 16, 2010, 12:44:08 AM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 15, 2010, 11:29:56 PM
As a golfer i would have to say McDowell. (Cant stand this G Mac stuff, sorry!). Although McCoy is undoubtedly an amazing sportsman, for me he is just a bit too nondescript to be Sports Personality Of The Year. On the other hand dont actually know if McDowell should win it seeing as he is American    ;)
WTF?
Just an opinion! Horse racing in general as a sport is probably counting against McCoy winning this award. Would have no problem with either man winning, would be great to see a local lad win it, and both hail from not too far from myself. Obviously people will have different ideas on which are the greater achievements, but isnt that part of what makes sport so entertaining!

sammymaguire

McCoy is a legend who has had a truly phenomenal year.

McDowell is a top class sportsman who has had a tremendous year.

My vote goes to the Fenian over the Prod  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Evil Genius

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 16, 2010, 10:23:29 PM
McCoy is a legend who has had a truly phenomenal year.

McDowell is a top class sportsman who has had a tremendous year.

My vote goes to the Fenian over the Prod  ;)
That would be the Fenian Tony McCoy OBE*?  ;)

Anyhow, if it's any kind of omen, AP has just been voted Sportsman of the Year by the Sports Journalists Association in their annual British Sports Award i.e. he beat allcomers in all other sports. Incidentally, Graeme McDowell was Runner-Up.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8189923/A-P-McCoy-on-a-winning-roll-after-being-named-Sportsman-of-The-Year.html

Anyhow, much as I respect McDowell for what he has done, and Amy Williams for being a bit of a babe er, entirely fearless, imo AP is head and shoulders above all the other candidates for the BBC Award.

P.S. I've just noticed in AP's wiki entry, that he has suffered 680 falls in his racing career to date, so maybe he isn't that good... :D

* - Superceded his previous MBE
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nrico2006

I don't see why so many are against McDowell, comes across as a really likeable lad anytime he has been on the box.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doogie Browser

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 17, 2010, 10:00:37 AM
I don't see why so many are against McDowell, comes across as a really likeable lad anytime he has been on the box.
Spot on, he seems very grounded.  I have no doubt a lot of people in the North don't like him cos he is a prod (albeit from a mixed marriage) but use the accent as an excuse to slag him off - the accent deserves a lot of stick though!! 

Hardy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 17, 2010, 10:06:09 AM
Spot on, he seems very grounded.  I have no doubt a lot of people in the North don't like him cos he is a prod (albeit from a mixed marriage) but use the accent as an excuse to slag him off - the accent deserves a lot of stick though!! 
Are you serious? Is that the way a lot of people think up there?

sammymaguire

Quote from: Hardy on December 17, 2010, 11:01:30 AM

A GAY prod by all accounts!!!!!

(I'm joking, relax please relax)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

deiseach

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 17, 2010, 11:04:23 AM

That'd be why the Prods would hate him

sammymaguire

Quote from: deiseach on December 17, 2010, 11:07:48 AM

:D  ;D very good. Whatever he is, he comes across like a true gent and he can hit a golf ball
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Doogie Browser

Ah Hardy you read enough crap on here to know that is exactly how a lot of people think up here.  I am a huge Gmac fan, a great ambassador for Ireland IMO.

thebigfella

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 17, 2010, 11:18:23 AM
Ah Hardy you read enough crap on here to know that is exactly how a lot of people think up here.  I am a huge Gmac fan, a great ambassador for Ireland IMO.

And he has a cracking set of man boobs, must get some credit for that too  ;)

deiseach

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 17, 2010, 11:10:18 AM

:D  ;D very good. Whatever he is, he comes across like a true gent and he can hit a golf ball

Aye, he seems like a good egg in interviews. As nrico2006 notes, what he does to rub people the wrong way is a mystery to me

Maiden1

Quote from: deiseach on December 17, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on December 17, 2010, 11:10:18 AM

Aye, he seems like a good egg in interviews. As nrico2006 notes, what he does to rub people the wrong way is a mystery to me

I know a few people who know him from around the Coleraine area and they say he is very down to earth.  He bought his mum and dad a house with his first pay check when he won the Scandanavian Masters just after he turned professional.  Small change to him now but it was a good gesture at the time.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Keyser soze

Accent is hilarious, but always seems to come across as a nice sort of chap. In that regard he'd be very much like AP. Apparently the wee belly and the moobs are contributed by the TV cameras as a couple of people who i know who have met him say that he is actually slim when you see him.

As regards people who don't like him cos he's a prod i'm sure there are some [maybe even many] of them about, but sure you get assholes everywhere, it's not exclusive to any one particular part of Ireland.