S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDenver

Did Gmac even sink the winning putt for the ryder cup? I thought he was left with two putts for the win and he put the first putt close, so the Yank conceded?

He played his part in the Ryder cup win but you'd nearly think he beat the yanks himself the way it's bandied about.

The major was a fair achievement though, but I would still plump for McCoy.

Would be deadly craic to see McCoy winning the BBC award then declining it as he's not British  :D

thebigfella

Quote from: JohnDenver on December 16, 2010, 02:32:49 PM
Did Gmac even sink the winning putt for the ryder cup? I thought he was left with two putts for the win and he put the first putt close, so the Yank conceded?

He played his part in the Ryder cup win but you'd nearly think he beat the yanks himself the way it's bandied about.

Would be deadly craic to see McCoy winning the BBC award then declining it as he's not British  :D

If he didn't turn down the MBE or OBE I doubt this would happen  ::)

Clown

the AP G-Mac debate divides opinion on those who like horse racing and those who dont as far as i can see

The award lost all credibility when Giggs got it last year - it became a lifetime achievement award then so McCoy should get it on that basis

McDowell had an unbelievable year though, winning a major takes some doing - some great pros never got close to winning one, not to mention his Ryder cup displays and the other tournaments he won. Harrington was named best irish sportsman ever for winning 3 majors

nrico2006

Quote from: thebigfella on December 16, 2010, 02:41:16 PM

Why would he decline it if he is not British?  You don't have to be British to win it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Puckoon

Not to mention alienate half your competitors and friends on the tour.

Doogie Browser

There is a massive campaign within the sport of horse racing for AP to win to give the sport a much needed boost.

Puckoon

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 16, 2010, 03:54:08 PM
There is a massive campaign within the sport of horse racing for AP to win to give the sport a much needed boost.

Is that tip reliable?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 03:45:08 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on December 16, 2010, 02:41:16 PM

Why would he decline it if he is not British?  You don't have to be British to win it.

I think you do Nrico. Can't think of any non-British winners. They have an Overseas award for Johnny Foreigner.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

nrico2006

You either have to be British or live in the UK or play alot of your sport there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 04:20:13 PM
You either have to be British or live in the UK or play alot of your sport there.

Do you have to wear a poppy?
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 16, 2010, 04:01:50 PM
I think you do Nrico. Can't think of any non-British winners. They have an Overseas award for Johnny Foreigner.

Barry McGuigan - although I think he got a British passport so he could fight in the British boxing championships

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: deiseach on December 16, 2010, 04:26:12 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 16, 2010, 04:01:50 PM

Barry McGuigan - although I think he got a British passport so he could fight in the British boxing championships

Well certainly he boxed for Northern Ireland in the Commonwealth Games, so must have claimed some sort of "British" linkage.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

quit yo jibbajabba

cant believe zara phillips hasnt received a slagging esp if giggs got a mention

Pat Mustard

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 16, 2010, 02:19:23 PM
Quote from: Pat Mustard on December 16, 2010, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 16, 2010, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 16, 2010, 10:55:53 AM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 16, 2010, 10:43:52 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on December 16, 2010, 10:11:37 AM
If McCoy doesn't win it this year he never will. He's won it all and been at the top of his game for 15 years on the bounce, G Mac has had a great season but it feels very like a flash in the pan year to me! Plus if you had to listen to an acceptance speech McCoy should win on that basis alone!

For that reason he deserves to win. It's sports personality of the year not a life time achievement award.

McCoy rode the winner of the Champion Hurdle, the Aintree National, the Midlands National, the Melling Chase, the Tote Gold Trophy, the Swordlestown Chase and the Galway Plate this year as well as being Champion Jockey for the fifteenth consecutive season. This shouldn't even be a contest.

McDowell won a major on American soil becoming the only Irish man to win the US Open.
Sank the winning putt in the Ryder Cup, the biggest sporting event this year outside the World Cup.
Went toe to toe with what many believe to be the greatest golfer ever and came out on top in the Chevron World Challenge.
Won the Welsh and Andalusian opens.
Shouldn't even be a contest.
So he won a major. Padraig Harrington won 3 in 2 years, including 2 in a row. As for your only Irish man to win the US Open, without being pedantic I doubt that'll come in to play at the British SPOTY.
1 putt, all be it under a hell of a lot of pressure. Am I correct in saying he should have had that game sewn up long before the final hole? He wasn't the best player at the tournament, he was just in the right place at the right time to win it.
The greatest golfer ever, who last won a competition in...?

Who would you vote for then?
AP. He finally completed the roll of honour this year after so many hardluck stories. He also won many other huge races, and is still the best in the game. He is the epitome of what a sportsman should be.

andoireabu

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 16, 2010, 03:54:08 PM
Also hear there is one against him by animal rights folk as a lot of his horses end up put down.  Think it was in one of the papers near the start of the week if not last weekend
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!