S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Two words about the credibility of this award.

Princess Anne.
Don't Panic

Geoff Tipps

If it follows on in the same vein as last year AP will win it. McDowell deserves to win it for the year he's had though.

Hardy

McDole has what - three or four wins this year? AP has 134. So far.

screenmachine

If McCoy doesn't win it this year he never will. He's won it all and been at the top of his game for 15 years on the bounce, G Mac has had a great season but it feels very like a flash in the pan year to me! Plus if you had to listen to an acceptance speech McCoy should win on that basis alone!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: screenmachine on December 16, 2010, 10:11:37 AM
If McCoy doesn't win it this year he never will. He's won it all and been at the top of his game for 15 years on the bounce, G Mac has had a great season but it feels very like a flash in the pan year to me! Plus if you had to listen to an acceptance speech McCoy should win on that basis alone!

For that reason he deserves to win. It's sports personality of the year not a life time achievement award.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 16, 2010, 10:43:52 AM

For that reason he deserves to win. It's sports personality of the year not a life time achievement award.

Why did Ryan Giggs win it last year then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1338948/Tony-McCoy-Im-driven-fear-longer-champion.html

BennyHarp

Quote from: passedit on December 16, 2010, 09:37:48 AM
Two words about the credibility of this award.

Princess Anne.

Another two words - Ryan Giggs
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: Hardy on December 16, 2010, 09:48:51 AM

McCoy has been on a horse that has won 134 races this year. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Donnellys Hollow

McCoy rode the winner of the Champion Hurdle, the Aintree National, the Midlands National, the Melling Chase, the Tote Gold Trophy, the Swordlestown Chase and the Galway Plate this year as well as being Champion Jockey for the fifteenth consecutive season. This shouldn't even be a contest.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 16, 2010, 10:51:24 AM

Why did Ryan Giggs win it last year then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1338948/Tony-McCoy-Im-driven-fear-longer-champion.html

Yeah he shouldn't have won it.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 15, 2010, 11:33:20 PM
AP.

He is arguably the greatest jockey we've ever seen.

McDowell isn't even the best golfer in Britain this year.

How many titles has Westwood won this year in comparison to McDowell?

The rankings say Westwood is a better golfer.

I don't think there's any point in focusing on the "Personality" aspect. Its always been considered to go to the most deserving Sports Person in each year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 10:52:28 AM

A Horse? Good figures, wish I'd been following him.

I reckon Westwood will win just by force of numbers - being English when English people number 80odd% of the UK population.  McCoy is obviously the superior candidate, closely followed by Phil Taylor (then Cavendish), but the Golfing media mafia will also have their say.   

I agree that it really is a joke of an award but I'll vote for the first time ever in it and hope McCoy wins it.

deiseach

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 15, 2010, 11:33:20 PM
AP.

He is arguably the greatest jockey we've ever seen.

McDowell isn't even the best golfer in Britain this year.

How many titles has Westwood won this year in comparison to McDowell?

Wouldn't matter if Westwood won twenty titles if he hasn't won a Major (cue 'Twenty Major' puns). The US Open - first European winner in 40 years - trumps any amount of regular titles.

Still think Tony McCoy should win it though. Winning at Aintree was merely the most high profile success in a ludicrously successful career. And I can't stand horse racing

mountainboii

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2010, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 10:52:28 AM

A Horse? Good figures, wish I'd been following him.

I reckon Westwood will win just by force of numbers - being English when English people number 80odd% of the UK population.  McCoy is obviously the superior candidate, closely followed by Phil Taylor (then Cavendish), but the Golfing media mafia will also have their say.   

I agree that it really is a joke of an award but I'll vote for the first time ever in it and hope McCoy wins it.

I don't think voting for your own is anywhere near as important to the English as it is to the rest of us.

beer baron