Getting Less Young

Started by thejuice, December 14, 2010, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

It would seem I'm starting to enter the twilight of my playing career and much sooner and more sudden than I thought. I'm only 28 but this club season was a hell of a lot tougher going on me than the last. I used to be a reliable half-back and could keep up with even the younger lads as well being able to burst a bigger lad if need be without coming of the worst too often to make it a bad idea.

However now the knees are starting to stiffen and the nimbleness of foot seems to be absent. Every morning after a game it's like fire has been lit in my legs and when going from lying/sitting to standing my joints are starting to sound like a bowl of rice crispies. What's also started to happen is they have begun to move me around the field after too many skinning sessions from flightier opponents.

I accepted that it was going to happen soon enough but not at the spritely age of 28 and not so suddenly. To those of you who have been through this what's the best thing to do to prolong the playing career, start asking for a spot in the forwards? I'd probably need to put on a belly before they do that. They've put me in midfield for my height so I don't have to do as much running but even that is taking its toll.

But there's still plenty of football in me, I'm not ready for the glue factory just yet.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

brokencrossbar1

FFS thejuice, 28???  What level do you play at?  28 ::)

mannix

28 and getting skinned ?  did you leave the ould handbrake on?

either you were never that fast to start with or you need to train harder on sprints and stretch out the muscles before you do them. and maybe you just met faster opponents which can be humiliating but can be stopped one way or another, just watch the kerry boys pulling jerseys etc.

thewobbler

Be more physical, more aggressive, and shout lots of instructions at younger players. Check out the opposition before you line out, and choose the wing with the slower looking man to mark. Slow things down with frees. Don't give the ball away. Hold jerseys. Throw punches if necessary. Do your best work between your own 21 and 45, bailing out your full-back and applying the deadener as required. Win breaking-ball, lots of it. Talk about how good you are at "marking space" to anyone who'll listen. Shout a lot. And when you make your occasional foray forward, make it count.

Man Marker

You must be a lazy git. At 28 you should be eating the ground up if you put in the proper training. Experince & strenght are all on your side, so get your fat ass out and do the work. Thats all that has changed, you were able to get by, by doing lees, and now you have to do more to get the energy levels correct.  Now if you are doing the work, then in all seriousness you might consider going to the doc, because there is something up  :o

aontroim

What happened the theory that at 28 you should be at the peak of your physical strength?

thewobbler

I'd think that 28 might be the optimal age for a professional, but it has to be younger for an amateur. Other commitments get in the way.

Man Marker

Quote from: thewobbler on December 14, 2010, 01:57:36 PM
I'd think that 28 might be the optimal age for a professional, but it has to be younger for an amateur. Other commitments get in the way.

bollox, get out of bed earlier then

Canalman

Observations of mine on getting on in the game are:

1 You notice yourself getting slower years before others realize it.

2 First thing to go is your speed in turning.

3 You actually fear getting a trimming from an opponent, whereas previously it never crossed your mind.

4 Despite the above you are still shocked when first dropped .

5 Consistency goes. Some days you are flying and others are as though you have weights strapped to legs.

thejuice

Funnily enough, that's the response I get from the other players  i.e. stop being a lazy bollocks.

But it's not that. Fair enough other commitments (the job, herself and part-time studies) are starting to play a part but not enough I feel to make such a difference.

maybe a good break over the winter will do, do a bit of swimming and stretches.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

brokencrossbar1

On a serious note, instead of taking a break, because I actually don't agree with that and neither do many top coaches, what you should do is change sport for the off season.  Play basketball or a bit of low level rugby.  It will work other muscles that are not generally worked and will develop you overall as a player.  It will also bring in ideas from other sports that will improve you as a player, ie ball handling skills, footwork, and discipline.

Milltown Row2

28!!! FFS

you're meant to get better after the age of 28.

Played 5 a sides through the winter season, had a spell playing handball and one year played a lot of squash and racket ball (great for hurling)

Wish i was 28 but early next year i'll be 39 >:( >:(  Have always done my core work over the winter but managed a game of 5 a sides last night. My thighs were burning before we finished, by the time i got out of the car i was walking like a duck.

You should be cute enough by now to be able to read a game and the opposition. As someone said already be wise on who you pick up. I always use my seniority before the throw in. i would say to clubmate to pick up the young, quick looking lad on the wing. I prefer marking the real tall older ones. Too slow for the smaller guys and you can always buy a few frees of those big bullies ;D

You should have at least 6/7 good years left in ya, ya lucky bstard!! after that its the junior leagues were you can still shine a bit (usually the first half :D)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Canalman

Agree with the astro soccer tip. Took it up twice a week and am lucky enough to play with some seriously good players............ seriously good for your fitness. Lengthened my football days by about 4/5 seasons. More intense and to the point fitnesswise than the usual GAA early season training. Important imo to play with good players though.

johnneycool

Quote from: thejuice on December 14, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
It would seem I'm starting to enter the twilight of my playing career and much sooner and more sudden than I thought. I'm only 28 but this club season was a hell of a lot tougher going on me than the last. I used to be a reliable half-back and could keep up with even the younger lads as well being able to burst a bigger lad if need be without coming of the worst too often to make it a bad idea.

However now the knees are starting to stiffen and the nimbleness of foot seems to be absent. Every morning after a game it's like fire has been lit in my legs and when going from lying/sitting to standing my joints are starting to sound like a bowl of rice crispies. What's also started to happen is they have begun to move me around the field after too many skinning sessions from flightier opponents.

I accepted that it was going to happen soon enough but not at the spritely age of 28 and not so suddenly. To those of you who have been through this what's the best thing to do to prolong the playing career, start asking for a spot in the forwards? I'd probably need to put on a belly before they do that. They've put me in midfield for my height so I don't have to do as much running but even that is taking its toll.

But there's still plenty of football in me, I'm not ready for the glue factory just yet.

Get into the ice baths, they're your only man

;)

the colonel

Roy Keane swore by yoga in his later years
the difference between success and failure is energy