Getting Less Young

Started by thejuice, December 14, 2010, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: passedit on December 15, 2010, 11:56:33 AM
Quote from: irunthev on December 15, 2010, 11:32:41 AM
Quote from: the colonel on December 15, 2010, 11:15:18 AM
Quote from: irunthev on December 15, 2010, 08:43:38 AM
The Juice, you have so much to look forward to ;D if you are that bad at 28. I'm 41, no longer play but played senior for 14 or 15 years and nowadays I walk with a limp in both legs, left knee is shot to bits, the right ankle has chronic arthritis in it and the surgeon is mad to get at it to fuse it together so that the ankle is permanently at right angles. He tells me it will get rid of the pain but will mean that the limp is even more pronounced and I have a collpased disk in my back. Throw in four broken teeth and the pain that is developing in my hips (probably due to the fact that I am limping on both legs) and you can get the picture as to where you are heading in the next ten years. Enjoy the little aches and pains you have now.... you will look back on them fondly in a few years times and wish that they were all you had to bother you :-\ And I haven't even mentioned the post traumatic stress disorder I have from some of the mistakes I made in big games while accumulating most of these injuries!!!!

If you were a dog you'd have been put out of your misery

The irony of the whole thing was that I played in goals all my life. Don't worry the dog's banjaxed as well... I'm not going down alone.

How the hell did you manage to get hurt? You certainly didn't strain yourself kicking the ball out!

BTW Juice ye're a pussy. Wobble's got it dead right, although a move into full forward is definitely on the cards, then you can add complaining loudly about the 'delivery'. I knew my number was up when I started dreading hot sunny days.

Are youy trying to say you have to be slow and awkward to play full forward...oh wait...

Banana Man

The Juice, you have so much to look forward to ;D if you are that bad at 28. I'm 41, no longer play but played senior for 14 or 15 years and nowadays I walk with a limp in both legs, left knee is shot to bits, the right ankle has chronic arthritis in it and the surgeon is mad to get at it to fuse it together so that the ankle is permanently at right angles. He tells me it will get rid of the pain but will mean that the limp is even more pronounced and I have a collpased disk in my back. Throw in four broken teeth and the pain that is developing in my hips (probably due to the fact that I am limping on both legs) and you can get the picture as to where you are heading in the next ten years. Enjoy the little aches and pains you have now.... you will look back on them fondly in a few years times and wish that they were all you had to bother you :-\ And I haven't even mentioned the post traumatic stress disorder I have from some of the mistakes I made in big games while accumulating most of these injuries!!!!

The irony of the whole thing was that I played in goals all my life. Don't worry the dog's banjaxed as well... I'm not going down alone.

How the hell did you manage to get hurt? You certainly didn't strain yourself kicking the ball out!

BTW Juice ye're a pussy. Wobble's got it dead right, although a move into full forward is definitely on the cards, then you can add complaining loudly about the 'delivery'. I knew my number was up when I started dreading hot sunny days.

that is so true it ain't even funny!!

johnneycool

Quote from: illdecide on December 15, 2010, 12:22:10 PM

I still feel good and strong enough to keep playing only for the piece of bone i have growing into my achilles and if that wasn't there i'd be away at it again,

I'd the same problem way years ago and a big hoor of a physio called Paul McCormick, think he was with Armagh footballers at the time sorted me out in one visit by breaking it down. I was white with pain through it and my ankle, knee and hip were all sore for about a week after it, but right as rain once I was able to get back training..

nrico2006

Quote from: johnneycool on December 15, 2010, 01:19:12 PM

I still feel good and strong enough to keep playing only for the piece of bone i have growing into my achilles and if that wasn't there i'd be away at it again,

I'd the same problem way years ago and a big hoor of a physio called Paul McCormick, think he was with Armagh footballers at the time sorted me out in one visit by breaking it down. I was white with pain through it and my ankle, knee and hip were all sore for about a week after it, but right as rain once I was able to get back training..

He is good, I have been to him a few times.  He is down in Lurgan.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Banana Man

Quote from: johnneycool on December 15, 2010, 01:19:12 PM

I am wincing here! Was an actual part of bone he broke down JC?

mannix

Mick Kissane, the man that won an allireland in 1963 with dublin was still kicking ball at the Naomh Mearnog club in dublin as recently as 2000, along with one or 2 other stars from later years. I was lucky enough to play the games with them which were non contact and great for the fitness. Mick would inspire anyone.

passedit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 15, 2010, 12:23:22 PM

Are youy trying to say you have to be slow and awkward to play full forward...oh wait...

I resemble that remark!
Don't Panic

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: passedit on December 15, 2010, 04:30:50 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 15, 2010, 12:23:22 PM

I resemble that remark!

Thats for sure  ;)

Puckoon

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 15, 2010, 10:10:03 AM
Quote from: Mario on December 15, 2010, 08:22:28 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 15, 2010, 08:18:47 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 14, 2010, 01:27:02 PM
Be more physical, more aggressive, and shout lots of instructions at younger players. Check out the opposition before you line out, and choose the wing with the slower looking man to mark. Slow things down with frees. Don't give the ball away. Hold jerseys. Throw punches if necessary. Do your best work between your own 21 and 45, bailing out your full-back and applying the deadener as required. Win breaking-ball, lots of it. Talk about how good you are at "marking space" to anyone who'll listen. Shout a lot. And when you make your occasional foray forward, make it count.

You've spent too long watching goldenyears.

Packed it in at 28 myself, after a dozen years of senior club football. Discovered alcohol instead and haven't looked back. Good decision.
A late bloomer i see, most decent young players discover alcohol about 12 years earlier than yourself. Then try and make a comeback in their mid 20s when they can drink no more

Assuming you are referring to me as a decent player, that would be the third complimentary thing written about my footballing career. At 17, I was described as 'sound' and at 21 as 'promising'. You've made my day.

Ahem...
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 18, 2009, 09:21:20 PM
Good man Puck. Not enough of this art form here any more.

Quote"Saffron Sam shone like a beacon
As he plucked her from the floodlight sky
His intercounty dream flashed by
He dropped the ball "you useless cnut"!

Whilst the rest may be (allegedly) a work of fiction, the above bit is uncannily accurate.

muppet

Quote from: mannix on December 15, 2010, 03:20:03 PM
Mick Kissane, the man that won an allireland in 1963 with dublin was still kicking ball at the Naomh Mearnog club in dublin as recently as 2000, along with one or 2 other stars from later years. I was lucky enough to play the games with them which were non contact and great for the fitness. Mick would inspire anyone.

Em, he still does.
MWWSI 2017

mannix

see, if Mick Kissane  can do it nearly 50 years after reaching the summit, a 28 year should be well able to perform unless there is something wrong with him. muppet, do you ever go out to that non contact game yourself? it was great sport for a lot of fellas over forty years old and the younger lads loved it.

andoireabu

Quote from: Canalman on December 14, 2010, 02:15:39 PM
Observations of mine on getting on in the game are:

1 You notice yourself getting slower years before others realize it.

2 First thing to go is your speed in turning.

3 You actually fear getting a trimming from an opponent, whereas previously it never crossed your mind.

4 Despite the above you are still shocked when first dropped .

5 Consistency goes. Some days you are flying and others are as though you have weights strapped to legs.
GAA menopause? Larry didn't get it
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

nrico2006

Quote from: mannix on December 15, 2010, 05:52:28 PM
see, if Mick Kissane  can do it nearly 50 years after reaching the summit, a 28 year should be well able to perform unless there is something wrong with him. muppet, do you ever go out to that non contact game yourself? it was great sport for a lot of fellas over forty years old and the younger lads loved it.

What age is Mick Kissane and is he a goal keeper?  He couldn't still be playing.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mannix

mick kissane was not a goalkeeper, he would be in his 60s or maybe 70s. He must still think its 1963, will you be kicking a football at 70?
Theres an older fella, i would say he is at least 70 that lifts weights in the gym where i go, he lifted for germany in the 60s and still can lift serious weight, he looks scary, not the type of 70 year old you would attack for his wallet.
A 28 year old that thinks he is slowing down could have something wrong with him or else he is eating/drinking too much of the wrong stuff and not training enough.

muppet

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 08:35:00 AM
Quote from: mannix on December 15, 2010, 05:52:28 PM

What age is Mick Kissane and is he a goal keeper?  He couldn't still be playing.

Think he is in his 60s and was still playing recently. I played the year before last but an old achilles injury flared up and took forever to get back to normal. Haven't gone back but wouldn't rule it out completely.
MWWSI 2017