James McCartan Snr's post 1990 All Stars

Started by BarryBreensBandage, November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: ross4life on November 26, 2010, 05:12:22 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM
From James McCartan's new book - his choice for All-Stars, post 1990 - do you agree?

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
2. Robbie O'Malley - Meath
3. Seamus Moynihan - Kerry
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Paul Curran - Dublin
6. Henry Downey - Derry
7. Kieran McGeeney - Armagh
8. Anthony Tohill - Derry
9. Sean Cavanagh - Tyrone
10. Brian Dooher - Tyrone
11. Greg Blaney - Down
12. Michael Donnellan - Galway
13. Stephen McDonnell - Armagh
14. Peter Canavan - Tyrone
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Subs: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Darren Fay (Meath), Marc O'Se (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Tomas O Se (Kerry), Glenn Ryan (Kildare), Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Darragh O Se (Kerry), John Mc Dermott (Meath), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), Colm O'Rourke (Meath), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Ollie Murphy (Meath), Bernard Flynn (Meath)

Not surprising a nordie would pick 10 nordies in his starting 15! no Donegal players in his squad why? & should be more Meath,Kerry & Galway players in that starting 15 IMO

Would completely agree with the Donegal comment, because, and its just an observation, but, a lot of the footballers picked helped their county to their first All-Ireland. Or, in Curran, O'Leary and Donnellan, the first title in a long time.

Personally, I would find space for Tony Boyle - for me, one of the main reasons Donegal won in '92.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

ONeill

Can't believe he didn't include Jordan, Ricey, Hub, Mugsy and Mark Harte.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

Quote from: Jinxy on November 26, 2010, 03:45:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 26, 2010, 12:59:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 26, 2010, 11:47:22 AM
There has never been a better full-back than Darren Fay.
great player but there have been better full backs in Meath than Darren.

Also disappointed Derrys Kieran McKeever didnt make the list. Martin o'Connell too.

but its all about opinions!

Name them!

Not sure where they better but some great FB the last 20 years like Matt Gallagher,Seamus Quinn,Seán Marty Lockhart & Cormac McAnallen
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tonesfirstandlast

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

imtommygunn

Interesting team.

I would disagree with a few...
- John McDermott and Dara O'Se were class. While Sean Kavanagh is an excellent player he's not in the same category as those two boys.
- Tomas O'Se is one of the best wing backs to play the game never mind over the last 20 years.
- Stevie McDonnell is key to Armagh but the Gooch is amazing - should walk onto that team.
- I would put Darren Fay in 3, Moynihan in 5 (his best position) and Tomas O'Se in 7.

There are a lot of options in FF line but Gooch and Canavan are musts. The other would be between Linden and Maurice Fitz in my book.

5 Sams

Quote from: Canalman on November 26, 2010, 05:23:52 PM
All only opinions after all.For what it's worth I would for starters leave out Scullion.Downey,McGeaney,Dooher, Donnelan and Blaney and put in their place

Anthony Lynch
Martin O'Connell
Dara Ó Sé (move Cavanagh positionally)
Maurice Fitzgerald
Colin Cooper.
Kevin O'Brien.
Sorry Canalman but anyone who leaves Greg Blaney out of a 90s team doesnt know much about football :-\ :-\
The Aristocrat Years

imtommygunn

I would say the same about Dooher.

I honestly believe that without Dooher Tyrone would have no all irelands. Any other player, canavan included, they could have won one without. Every good team now has a HF modeled on Dooher.

ONeill

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 26, 2010, 10:50:16 PM
I would say the same about Dooher.

I honestly believe that without Dooher Tyrone would have no all irelands. Any other player, canavan included, they could have won one without. Every good team now has a HF modeled on Dooher.

How can O'Rourke then, with his knowledge of the game, say that Dooher was a 'bad footballer' in 2003?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 26, 2010, 10:06:50 PM
All only opinions after all.For what it's worth I would for starters leave out Scullion.Downey,McGeaney,Dooher, Donnelan and Blaney and put in their place

Anthony Lynch
Martin O'Connell
Maurice Fitzgerald
Colin Cooper.
Kevin O'Brien.
Sorry Canalman but anyone who leaves Greg Blaney out of a 90s team doesnt know much about football :-\ :-\

And I would argue the same for Scullion.

I would say the same about Dooher. I honestly believe that without Dooher Tyrone would have no all irelands. Any other player, canavan included, they could have won one without. Every good team now has a HF modeled on Dooher.

Not so - 2008 would not have been won without Cavanagh's second half tour-de-force - probably the greatest individual perfromance I have ever seen in an All Ireland Final.

bcarrier

saffron sam2

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 26, 2010, 11:24:20 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 26, 2010, 10:06:50 PM

Anthony Lynch
Martin O'Connell
Maurice Fitzgerald
Colin Cooper.
Kevin O'Brien.

And I would argue the same for Scullion.

I would say the same about Dooher. I honestly believe that without Dooher Tyrone would have no all irelands. Any other player, canavan included, they could have won one without. Every good team now has a HF modeled on Dooher.

Not so - 2008 would not have been won without Cavanagh's second half tour-de-force - probably the greatest individual perfromance I have ever seen in an All Ireland Final.

Either you are Mickey Harte, or you've just finished his book.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bcarrier on November 26, 2010, 11:38:42 PM
Rufus,Did you miss maurice beating mayo ?

Mayo in 1997, as opposed to Kerry in 2008?

Seriously?

Estimator

All only opinions after all.For what it's worth I would for starters leave out Scullion,Downey,McGeaney, (All Defenders) Dooher, Donnelan and Blaney (All Forwards) and put in their place

(DEFENDERS)
Anthony Lynch
Martin O'Connell
(MIDFIELDER)
(FORWARDS)
Maurice Fitzgerald
Colin Cooper.
Kevin O'Brien.

I know its all opinions but I can't believe anyone would leave Scullion out of that side.  Or any side for that matter.
Plus what way would that side line out?  You have taken out 3 defenders and put 2 in.  You have moved Cavanagh from midfield (so that Dara gets a place) into the forwards, so now you're replacing 3 forwards with 4.
Ulster League Champions 2009

haze

O Leary
Scullion Fay O Connell
Moynihan   McGeeney O Se
Tohill O Se
Dooher Joyce      Fitzgerald
Cooper Canavan Linden

My effort at a side... I couldn't pick between linden and Maurice so had to move Maurice to the half forward line. Bench would be Cluxton, lynch, curran, canty, mcgrane, P Galvin, McConville, giles

Apologies to giles/Blaney fans for centre forward but just could leave Joyce out of side