James McCartan Snr's post 1990 All Stars

Started by BarryBreensBandage, November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

There has never been a better full-back than Darren Fay.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Canalman

Any such team without Cooper in it is not worth bothering about imo.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Canalman on November 26, 2010, 11:50:37 AM
Any such team without Cooper in it is not worth bothering about imo.

or larry Reilly
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mackers

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 26, 2010, 11:40:29 AM
Quote from: mackers on November 26, 2010, 10:17:08 AM
Tomas O'Se is the best half back of his generation and has to be in ahead of Paul Curran. Surprised Oisin didn't make the sub bench.

Quote from: screenexile on November 25, 2010, 11:08:31 PM
Bit of an appeasement to Armagh fans having Stevie in there Gocch is twice the player!
Wouldn't agree.......Gooch is a super player no doubt and I could see where there would be a debate between him and Stevie for that place, but twice the player??? No!
Stevie has had to suffer some poor service at times in his Armagh career,, if Gooch had've received the same service he would not have got the same scores Stevie has.

no doubt stevie mcdonald is a class act but just not in the same league as cooper,when gooch doesnt get the service he goes looking for it,just look to last weekends club match he ended up in the middle of the field and starred
Not in the same league?? Half as good as Cooper?? This sort of stuff sickens my sh1te.....if you want to say that you would pick Cooper instead of McDonnell then fair enough...........but this exaggeration is OTT.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Donnellys Hollow

His subs would beat his first team.

Maurice Fitzgerald is easily the greatest footballer I've ever seen. To suggest he's not in the best six forwards of the last twenty years is laughable.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM
From James McCartan's new book - his choice for All-Stars, post 1990 - do you agree?

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
2. Robbie O'Malley - Meath
3. Darren Fay - Meath
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Tomas O'Se - Kerry
6. Seamus Moynihan - Kerry
7. Martin O'Connell - Meath
8. Anthony Tohill - Derry
9. Dara O'Se - Kerry
10. Graham Geraghty - Meath
11. Greg Blaney - Down
12. Michael Donnellan - Galway
13. Colm Cooper - Kerry
14. Peter Canavan - Tyrone
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Subs: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Graham Canty (Cork), Marc O'Se (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Paul Curran (Dublin), Glenn Ryan (Kildare), Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Ciaran Whelan (Dublin), John Mc Dermott (Meath), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), Colm O'Rourke (Meath), Stephen McDonnell (Armagh), Ollie Murphy (Meath), Bernard Flynn (Meath)

My choice above

blanketattack

Maurice Fitzgerald has been the most skillful player of the last 20 years bar none.
Tomás Ó Sé has been the best back of the last 20 years bar none.
The fact that neither of these were on his team makes a mockery of it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on November 26, 2010, 11:47:22 AM
great player but there have been better full backs in Meath than Darren.

Also disappointed Derrys Kieran McKeever didnt make the list. Martin o'Connell too.

but its all about opinions!

isourboydownyet

Quote from: mackers on November 26, 2010, 12:11:50 PM
Tomas O'Se is the best half back of his generation and has to be in ahead of Paul Curran. Surprised Oisin didn't make the sub bench.

Bit of an appeasement to Armagh fans having Stevie in there Gocch is twice the player!
Wouldn't agree.......Gooch is a super player no doubt and I could see where there would be a debate between him and Stevie for that place, but twice the player??? No!
Stevie has had to suffer some poor service at times in his Armagh career,, if Gooch had've received the same service he would not have got the same scores Stevie has.

no doubt stevie mcdonald is a class act but just not in the same league as cooper,when gooch doesnt get the service he goes looking for it,just look to last weekends club match he ended up in the middle of the field and starred
Not in the same league?? Half as good as Cooper?? This sort of stuff sickens my sh1te.....if you want to say that you would pick Cooper instead of McDonnell then fair enough...........but this exaggeration is OTT.

gooch is head and shoulders above any other player at the minute not just mcdonald,even on a quiet day he still makes a major impact at some stage other players including mcdonald and brogan can be marked out of the game for the entire match,he is unmarkable

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 26, 2010, 12:59:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 26, 2010, 11:47:22 AM
great player but there have been better full backs in Meath than Darren.

Also disappointed Derrys Kieran McKeever didnt make the list. Martin o'Connell too.

but its all about opinions!

Name them!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mackers

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 26, 2010, 03:41:27 PM
Quote from: mackers on November 26, 2010, 12:11:50 PM

gooch is head and shoulders above any other player at the minute not just mcdonald,even on a quiet day he still makes a major impact at some stage other players including mcdonald and brogan can be marked out of the game for the entire match,he is unmarkable
I'm getting it tight to take you seriously when you repeatedly spell McDonnell's name wrong.
Gooch is a super player.........so is McDonnell, opinions will vary as to who should be on the team.......but he's NOT "twice as good/in a different league etc." as Stevie.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

ross4life

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM
From James McCartan's new book - his choice for All-Stars, post 1990 - do you agree?

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
2. Robbie O'Malley - Meath
3. Seamus Moynihan - Kerry
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Paul Curran - Dublin
6. Henry Downey - Derry
7. Kieran McGeeney - Armagh
8. Anthony Tohill - Derry
9. Sean Cavanagh - Tyrone
10. Brian Dooher - Tyrone
11. Greg Blaney - Down
12. Michael Donnellan - Galway
13. Stephen McDonnell - Armagh
14. Peter Canavan - Tyrone
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Subs: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Darren Fay (Meath), Marc O'Se (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Tomas O Se (Kerry), Glenn Ryan (Kildare), Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Darragh O Se (Kerry), John Mc Dermott (Meath), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), Colm O'Rourke (Meath), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Ollie Murphy (Meath), Bernard Flynn (Meath)

Not surprising a nordie would pick 10 nordies in his starting 15! no Donegal players in his squad why? & should be more Meath,Kerry & Galway players in that starting 15 IMO
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

blanketattack

A Derry team that won only 1 All-Ireland and 2 Ulsters have the (joint) most representatives?!?
That's ridiculous.

Canalman

All only opinions after all.For what it's worth I would for starters leave out Scullion.Downey,McGeaney,Dooher, Donnelan and Blaney and put in their place

Anthony Lynch
Martin O'Connell
Dara Ó Sé (move Cavanagh positionally)
Maurice Fitzgerald
Colin Cooper.
Kevin O'Brien.