Marsden's back!

Started by ExiledGael, February 20, 2007, 09:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

No doubt a "stylish" team like Tyrone would have no problems beating unconvincing teams like Dublin and Armagh, odd then that their most recent AI was won having gone to a replay against Dublin and by a 72nd minute soft free against Armagh. Yes Tyrone won two AI finals, but against teams that had won the AI the previous year and who were never going to be at full tilt the second year. You only have to look at the dismal performance of the "stylish" Tyrone in the years after the won the AI to see how a team is likely to perform the year after they won the AI.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tackle

Dont think Armagh has much to lose by bringin back marsden.  The current forward line is full of workhorses and marsden will definitely take the pressure off steven when it comes to the sroring stakes.  Hell certainly be needed with the current injury situation.  Perhaps this is a year too late.  Well see.  But the question has to be asked what does joe think of current fringe forwards like Michael O Rourke, Paul Keenan and the Forkers?  My answer would be that he doesnt have any majot plans for them this year if he is bringing back the clans man.  Clans definitely will be the losers out of this.  They dont have a great forward line at the best of times. 

Armagh Exile

Welcome back Diarmaid.
You never went away.

GrandMasterFlash

Full article from todays Indo... (and they don't lie!!!?)

Marsden makes a surprise return to Armagh
Wednesday February 21st 2007

FORMER Allstar Diarmaid Marsden has made a dramatic return to the Armagh football squad two years after he retired from inter-county football. Marsden returned to training last night after weeks of secretive talks with Armagh manager Joe Kernan. Kernan has always been a huge admirer of Marsden and his return will represent a huge boost for Armagh in their request for a second All-Ireland title. Marsden was a pivotal figure for the Orchard men when they claimed the Sam Maguire Cup for the first time in 2002.
A year later, he was sent off in the last quarter of Armagh's All-Ireland final defeat to Tyrone by referee Brian White on the instruction of an umpire. But Armagh vigorously fought the decision and used video evidence to successfully have the card rescinded by the Central Council. Marsden retired from inter-county football at the age of 30 after Armagh's shock All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Fermanagh in 2004. He broke his ankle playing for his club in early 2005 and was ruled out of action for a year, but returned as player-manager capacity last year for Clan na Gael as they reached the Armagh county final, in which they lost to Crossmaglen. Many of the Armagh players were unaware that Marsden would be returning last night. Kernan had conducted secret negotiations Marsden - who will be 33 this year - over the last few weeks. "I having been talking to Diarmaid on a number of occasions and we both felt the time was now right for him to return. Diarmaid's ability and vast experience will give our county players and supporters a great lift," he stated. On his day, Marsden was one of the most prolific and explosive forwards in the game, but whether he can reproduce that form will represent one of the biggest challenges of his career. Armagh play Galway in Salthill on Sunday (1.30), but Marsden isn't expected to be involved.

Meanwhile, Tyrone county board officials met with the captains of the respective hurling and football teams, as well as football manager Mickey Harte, to discuss issues over recent ticket allocations and the recent statement urging the GAA not to recognise the Gaelic Players Association (GPA). Brian Dooher, representing the footballers, and Barry Winters, representing the hurlers, sat down with Tyrone chairman Pat Darcy and the county board treasurer to thrash out recent controversies. The players are unhappy that squad members outside the official 30 did not get tickets for the recent floodlit game against Dublin in Croke Park and had trouble gaining access to Tyrone's home match against Fermanagh a week later. The furore over the tone and content of the Board's letter to Nickey Brennan was also raised. According to squad sources, the meeting concluded satisfactorily with explanations given to the players on the ticket issue and the GPA recognition letter. In Croke Park yesterday, Brennan himself said the Tyrone letter would not harm the negotiations with the GPA which are nearing completion over the complex issue of player grants' distribution. "We've moved on from that. Tyrone were entitled to have their say as any county is, but it won't affect the negotiations," he said. No other county has so far voiced a similar objection. The matter was raised at Central Council over the weekend and the Tyrone letter was read out. Brennan said "major progress" was being made in the discussions with the GPA, most notably in relation to grants. The president indicated that the matter could be wrapped up prior to this year's Congress.

charlie linkbox

lurganblue

QuoteMarsden returned to training last night after weeks of secretive talks with Armagh manager Joe Kernan

who was that at the clans training last night then?  ::)

Bensars

Quote from: armaghniac on February 21, 2007, 11:42:42 AM
No doubt a "stylish" team like Tyrone would have no problems beating unconvincing teams like Dublin and Armagh, odd then that their most recent AI was won having gone to a replay against Dublin and by a 72nd minute soft free against Armagh.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And your not bitter !!!

Hows  joe going to make any switches without paul grimley ???   Common Knowledge he was the brains behind the operation.

Good luck to Marsden, always had a liking for him, however Armagh will be found out this year again !!  He should have stayed retired, instead of coming back.

sureyouwill

Quote from: Bensars on February 21, 2007, 01:03:56 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 21, 2007, 11:42:42 AM
No doubt a "stylish" team like Tyrone would have no problems beating unconvincing teams like Dublin and Armagh, odd then that their most recent AI was won having gone to a replay against Dublin and by a 72nd minute soft free against Armagh.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And your not bitter !!!

Hows  joe going to make any switches without paul grimley ???   Common Knowledge he was the brains behind the operation.

Good luck to Marsden, always had a liking for him, however Armagh will be found out this year again !!   He should have stayed retired, instead of coming back.

And you're not bitter!!!! 

Found out on what exactly? 

illdecide

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 21, 2007, 11:35:36 AM
QuoteHow exactly do you scrape an All-Ireland?

I supposed you could look at it another way by saying they made history by becoming the first team ever to win an AI final by 1 point having won the semi-final by the same margin?    (Not to mention the quarters - or was that by 2 points?).  Anyway, some feat! 

Before the dubs semi in 02 I said to the Armagh fella beside me "Ther is no way the ref will let you walk out of here having beaten the Dubs to an AIF by only a point or so, yiz will need  to  hammer them".  Thats why I don't gamble! :P

You mighten gamble but you can fairly talk some shite "melter"
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bensars

The Robots are Back  !!!!        Get Plenty of the WD40 Ready !!! ;D ;D ;D

ONeill

A damning indictment of the dearth of young talent in Armagh. They'll be wheeling out Houlie next. A bad step. Slows a slow team.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sureyouwill

Bensars found out on what exactly?

Blacksheep

From the Telegraph:

Grimley Twins back in training!

Good luck to them, the reckon they can still do a job for Big Joe.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

realredhandfan

My fear is that Marsden played his ball in an era pre 2003 when football was a bit slower and everyone could have a go.  Will he be able to adapt to the pace of the moden game...

charlie linkbox

Your "fear"??  :D :D :D

Aye, I'd say it keeps you awake at night alright.