Trapped

Started by maggie, October 12, 2010, 08:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on October 13, 2010, 10:42:36 PM
Every one of them looks foreign.

Alot of them look like the Tyrone football team from 2008  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Carmen Stateside

One of them was running six mile aday. How the feck would you knock one out after that?

Puckoon

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 13, 2010, 11:10:19 PM
One of them was running six mile aday. How the feck would you knock one out after that?

In the shower?

The Real Laoislad

Franklin Erasmo Lobos Ramírez (born June 2, 1957 in Copiapó) is a retired Chilean footballer. Lobos debuted in 1980 for Regional Atacama, and retired in 1995, playing for the same club he started his career with. He was nicknamed El Mortero Mágico (The Magic Mortar).[1] He eventually became a miner, and was one of the miners trapped underground for two months in the 2010 Copiapó mining accident.

Football career

Club

In domestic competition Lobos played for Cobresal, Deportes Antofagasta, Santiago Wanderers and Unión La Calera, among others. He was known for his powerful free-kicks

International

Lobos played in the qualifying round of the 1984 Olympic Games for Chile

Honours
Segunda División: 1983 with Cobresal
You'll Never Walk Alone.

omagh_gael

He's sh1te. Couldn't even do three keepy uppies when he got out of the capsule.

Puckoon

Miners celebrating and scousers dancing in the streets - its like Thatcher has died.

ONeill

What did they eat?

Before the miners were reached, they survived for 17 days on food already stored in the emergency shelter. Each miner lived on two spoonfuls of tuna, a sip of milk, a bite of crackers and a small amount of peaches every other day until supplies were sent down. Once the miners could be reached from the surface with a narrow perforation drill, rescuers began sending them hydration gel, soup and medication in narrow plastic tubes called 'doves.'

A six-inch diameter bore hole allowed food and water supplies to be sent down to the mine. Doctors then put the men on a solid diet of meat and rice, with a strict 2,200-calorie diet to keep them slim enough to fit in the evacuation shaft, which is just 66 cm in diameter.

What were the conditions like?

Hot, dark and crowded. The men were trapped in one of the lowest levels of the mine, 2,257 ft (688m) below the surface, where it is pitch black and constantly 86 F (30 C). They had access to a refuge shelter which is 530 sq ft.

According to reports, the shelter consisted of 30 chairs, a few benches, blankets and an oxygen reserve but no beds. A half-mile corridor could also be safely accessed with no risk of collapse. As well as being equipped by rescuers with oxygen reserves, the miners insisted that large pockets of oxygen were available underground and claimed that they could breathe normally.

The chief of emergency operations for the Mine Safety and Health Administration said the miners were at an advantage because metal mines provide a safer atmosphere than coal ones as they are generally free of methane - a harmful gas found in coal mines.

How did they keep healthy?

On 23 August the miners sang the Chilean national anthem as rescuers sent down oxygen capsules, glucose and rehydration tablets to restore their digestive systems. During more than two months underground, the miners' rescue and support team grew to more than three hundred people, including communications experts, doctors, psychologists, launderers and cooks. Doctors were also able to pass down a biometric belt allowing the miners to monitor and transmit their vital signs to the surface using wireless technology.

In the tunnel near the shelter where the men initially took refuge, the miners set up a portable chemical toilet and latrines. Rescuers were worried that due to the cramped conditions, dysentery disease could affect the miners. They also feared men were at the risk of blood clots and panic attacks.

The rescue team refused requests from some men for cigarettes, and alcohol was ruled out, part of an overall routine designed to keep the men focused. The smokers made do with patches and nicotine gum.

How did they communicate with the outside world?

On 22 August knocking was heard on a drill head as it reached the depths of the mine. Rescuers celebrated as they withdrew the drill to find a note attached reading, "The 33 of us in the shelter are well." Once the first bore hole established a lifeline to the men, letters began to pass between loved-ones via the 'doves.' Later a fiber optic line enabling phone calls and videoconferencing was installed in the mine.

What was their routine?

Once discovered, the men quickly established a regular meal schedule including breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea. Supported by a 500 watt power line, they installed lights to simulate day and night to diminish the impact of their eventual return to the surface.

Physiologists set up obligatory exercise schedules to keep the men fit and slim for their passage up the escape shaft. In recent weeks, the miners began to help with the rescue operation - taking shifts to clear away debris that fell into the tunnel of the mine.

How did they entertain themselves?

Several of the men are known to be football fanatics, with one having played professionally. With a cable installed, the miners were able to watch a live feed of games such as Chile's friendly match against Ukraine. They also received videos of football greats like Pele and Maradona and set up an area in their refuge shelter to play cards, dominoes and other games. The miners also received small music players and speakers as well as Bibles and rosaries blessed by Pope Benedict.

One of the miners' most relished gifts was a small high-definition video camera with which they've recorded a large part of their ordeal. Despite the hazards they confront, the men have maintained high spirits with some of them capturing eight hours of their favorite jokes on film.

How are they being rescued?

A 21-inch wide rescue capsule, dubbed 'The Phoenix', painted in the colours of the Chilean flag is hoisting the miners to safety. 'The Phoenix' contains tanks of air, a microphone for communication and equipment to monitor the miners' heart rate and breathing as they are raised to the surface.

The miners are being hauled vertically from the bottom of the mine to the borehole, which is said to be double the height of the Eiffel Tower. The ride to the top takes no more than half an hour. The capsule is fitted with exterior wheels that help it slide down the borehole as it is lowered by a massive crane.

How did they decide who should be the first one out?

In late September, Chile's health minister said a rescue expert and a paramedic would make the first journey to carry out a medical check and decide the order in which the miners should be extracted, based on their physical and mental conditions. The miners are said to have squabbled over who should be the last to leave, with many of them wanting a place in the Guinness World Records for the longest time a miner has ever been trapped underground.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Okay be honest.

Did anyone feel tears in their eyes as the miners met their loved ones?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ross4life

Quote from: Orior on October 14, 2010, 12:02:29 AM
Okay be honest.

Did anyone feel tears in their eyes as the miners met their loved ones?

The last miner out with his little daughter crying almost got me... but a packet of Mccoys "man crisps" held back the tears
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

leenie

i'm must be a bad person, though very happy for them i was at no stage tearful!

so cold hearted!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

ross4life

Quote from: leenie on October 14, 2010, 12:07:03 AM

i'm must be a bad person, though very happy for them i was at no stage tearful!

so cold hearted!

Leenie are you a nurse or member of the Garda?

muppet

What they really should have done for the craic:

Everyone on the surface should have dressed up as 'Planet of the Apes'.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: muppet on October 14, 2010, 12:17:21 AM
What they really should have done for the craic:

Everyone on the surface should have dressed up as 'Planet of the Apes'.

Or hid.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..