Was Cowen badly hungover on the radio this morning?

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 14, 2010, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2010, 03:42:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2010, 03:31:42 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 17, 2010, 02:45:24 PM
Good God if the man was a Dublin Taoiseach then there wouldn't be half the over reaction there has been.

Interesting point indeed. I seem to recall a dublin Taoiseach who made something of a virtue of his Bass drinking abilities and more of less had Fagans pub as a constituency office as such. But then again that was at the time of the deceased tiger when none of us cared too much about that or make up bills etc.

What is seriously depressing in all of this is that there is no effort being made to communicate with the mug punters i.e. us as to what is being done, if anything, to tackle the first, second and third biggest problems this country faces i.e. the total collapse in the jobs market. Is it the airport/ferry option all over again??

Just for clarity having been in the company of both while pints were flowing there is no comparison. Bertie usually arrived in Fagans close to closing time and had 1, max 2 pints. Brian was a bit closer to my own consumption. The two are not in the same league.

Not intended as a criticism of either just stating my observations of both.

Ah no, Cowen can drink :D

That sounds like a challenge!

Absolutely. If this Golf Classic ever happens, you're on. Maybe I'll ring Brian and get him to come too, he should be available by then :D

Main Street

What about Albert? I don't know much about the man, but somehow he gave the impression that he was a rather sober figure, like myself I suppose.

AZOffaly

What about Albert? Sober? You must be joking. You'd want to see him cut the rug at a good old fashioned square dance.

Yee Haw.

Main Street

AZOffaly

It's like set dancing for Country and Western folks.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 03:50:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2010, 03:42:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 03:32:57 PM
Good God if the man was a Dublin Taoiseach then there wouldn't be half the over reaction there has been.

Interesting point indeed. I seem to recall a dublin Taoiseach who made something of a virtue of his Bass drinking abilities and more of less had Fagans pub as a constituency office as such. But then again that was at the time of the deceased tiger when none of us cared too much about that or make up bills etc.

What is seriously depressing in all of this is that there is no effort being made to communicate with the mug punters i.e. us as to what is being done, if anything, to tackle the first, second and third biggest problems this country faces i.e. the total collapse in the jobs market. Is it the airport/ferry option all over again??

Just for clarity having been in the company of both while pints were flowing there is no comparison. Bertie usually arrived in Fagans close to closing time and had 1, max 2 pints. Brian was a bit closer to my own consumption. The two are not in the same league.

Ah no, Cowen can drink :D

That sounds like a challenge!

Absolutely. If this Golf Classic ever happens, you're on. Maybe I'll ring Brian and get him to come too, he should be available by then :D

Great! Cowen can caddy for you. I'll bring Walton.
MWWSI 2017

anglocelt39

Pretty impressive company you're keeping all right. Are you saying you're fond a a fair lough of pints yourself then? :o
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Main Street

With all due respect to Ryder cup legend Philip, his letter of enquiry to an Taoiseach about the reported impersonation, reminds me of Pontius Pilate and Biggus Dickus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elH6gBsXOhA&feature=related

Hardy

I can't figure it out. Cowen has been one of the main architects of the demolition of our economy, the pauperisation of a generation or two, mass unemployment and the return of youth emigration. Yet it appears that what he'll be hounded from office for is having a hangover on the wireless. And I thought I understood the Irish people.

Main Street

You have placed too much significance on the last straw to break the camel's back - from a public perspective and on the other hand, not enough significance on the absolute desperation for politicians within FF to retain power.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Main Street on September 17, 2010, 06:47:57 PM
You have placed too much significance on the last straw to break the camel's back - from a public perspective and on the other hand, not enough significance on the absolute desperation for politicians within FF to retain power.

Slick mixing of metaphor.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Zapatista

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 02:23:10 PM
I have to disagree with that Seanie. I don't think he actively cultivates that, certainly he didn't when he was making his way up the ladder. He was always on for the craic.

I had Jan O'Sullivan canvassing me for a vote back in an election in the mid 2000's when I lived in Limerick. I told her I was still voting in Laois Offaly, and she said, well don't forget to vote Labour there then. I said, sorry Jan, I'll probably be voting Cowen #1.

She said, and I quote 'Ah Brian, yes you could do a lot worse than vote for Brian, he's genuinely a great guy'.

That was before leadership heaves or anything else, and that was a political opponent during electioneering.

That's how you secure a No.2 vote. It has no reflection on Cowen, it was nothing more than a politician canvassing at your door.

The bottom line is that Cowen is a disaster, he always has been and he is now covering his own ass. We were sold a pup!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Niall Quinn on September 17, 2010, 08:37:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 17, 2010, 06:47:57 PM

Slick mixing of metaphor.

No it's not. It's a clumsy tautology!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Shamrock Shore

Cowen never wanted to be where he is.

Cowen would have preferred the quiet life, a solictor in Offaly, going to football matches and then a few pints over the weekend.

His Dad's death in a car accident in 1984 changed all that and he was thrust in, at the age of 24, to "diffind the sayte". (His accident prolonged the career of CJ Haughey by 8 years)

Cowen is in a hole politically and should stop digging. The country needs a general election to vent steam. I don't care what loons are in charge the nex time - hey, we could get a Michael Lowry majority government, but at least the people will have spoken and this is what the country needs right now.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zapatista on September 17, 2010, 09:54:35 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 02:23:10 PM
I have to disagree with that Seanie. I don't think he actively cultivates that, certainly he didn't when he was making his way up the ladder. He was always on for the craic.

I had Jan O'Sullivan canvassing me for a vote back in an election in the mid 2000's when I lived in Limerick. I told her I was still voting in Laois Offaly, and she said, well don't forget to vote Labour there then. I said, sorry Jan, I'll probably be voting Cowen #1.

She said, and I quote 'Ah Brian, yes you could do a lot worse than vote for Brian, he's genuinely a great guy'.

That was before leadership heaves or anything else, and that was a political opponent during electioneering.

That's how you secure a No.2 vote. It has no reflection on Cowen, it was nothing more than a politician canvassing at your door.

The bottom line is that Cowen is a disaster, he always has been and he is now covering his own ass. We were sold a pup!

You're wrong Zap, but it's not important.