Was Cowen badly hungover on the radio this morning?

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 14, 2010, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 17, 2010, 02:28:39 PM
Yeah, I knowe its not a false image but I do believe he tried to use it when he took over as FF leader to try and "Bertie-ise" (for want of a better word) himself. There was a Pat Kenny interview and the cringe inducing but cleverly scripted Late Late one with Ryan Tubridy.

Anyway, bottom line is he in unfit for the job and needs to be got rid of.

I'm sure he would use any plank (no pun intended) to try and boost his popularity at the moment :)

Anyhow, I think that he is certainly struggling in the job as it stands at the moment, and for his own good should even think of standing down. I'm just not sure who could do that job at the moment, which is the really frightening thing.

We have loads of politicians. Have we any leaders?

Geoff Tipps

Yeah, I knowe its not a false image but I do believe he tried to use it when he took over as FF leader to try and "Bertie-ise" (for want of a better word) himself. There was a Pat Kenny interview and the cringe inducing but cleverly scripted Late Late one with Ryan Tubridy.

That sums it up.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 17, 2010, 02:35:16 PM

That sums it up.

Not only does it succinctly sum it up, but it should be the *only* issue. I couldn't care less if he was out on a session one night in Galway, in fact I'm sorry I missed it, it would have been good craic. But unless he is drinking himself stupid every night, that is not material to his ability to do the job, and that's what should determine whether he stays or goes.

This vacuous, media and livewhinge bullshite is very tiresome.

anglocelt39

Good God if the man was a Dublin Taoiseach then there wouldn't be half the over reaction there has been.

Interesting point indeed. I seem to recall a dublin Taoiseach who made something of a virtue of his Bass drinking abilities and more of less had Fagans pub as a constituency office as such. But then again that was at the time of the deceased tiger when none of us cared too much about that or make up bills etc.

What is seriously depressing in all of this is that there is no effort being made to communicate with the mug punters i.e. us as to what is being done, if anything, to tackle the first, second and third biggest problems this country faces i.e. the total collapse in the jobs market. Is it the airport/ferry option all over again??
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Main Street

Cowen would be probably be a great man to have as Town Clerk/lord mayor of bogsville, sorry some/any Offaly town.
Of course it gets personal when he is an Taoiseach,  he is the leader of the Government, when he acts slovenly and in general cannot communicate the mystery that unravels itself as FF government policy, we witness him carving out his own embarrassing caricature.
Generally I look to policies and not to the fickle appeal of a method (mass appeal) personality which fronts those policies.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on September 17, 2010, 03:09:46 PM
Cowen would be probably be a great man to have as Town Clerk/lord mayor of bogsville, sorry some/any Offaly town.
Of course it gets personal when he is an Taoiseach,  he is the leader of the Government, when he acts slovenly and in general cannot communicate the mystery that unravels itself as FF government policy, we witness him carving out his own embarrassing caricature.
Generally I look to policies and not to the fickle appeal of a method (mass appeal) personality which fronts those policies.

Ah but you're great. Bogsville? Go away and shite.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of those (not you, naturellement) who lauded him for being a great fella, and now castigate him for having the same personality.

Main Street

AZOffaly

muppet

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 17, 2010, 02:45:24 PM
Good God if the man was a Dublin Taoiseach then there wouldn't be half the over reaction there has been.

Interesting point indeed. I seem to recall a dublin Taoiseach who made something of a virtue of his Bass drinking abilities and more of less had Fagans pub as a constituency office as such. But then again that was at the time of the deceased tiger when none of us cared too much about that or make up bills etc.

What is seriously depressing in all of this is that there is no effort being made to communicate with the mug punters i.e. us as to what is being done, if anything, to tackle the first, second and third biggest problems this country faces i.e. the total collapse in the jobs market. Is it the airport/ferry option all over again??

Just for clarity having been in the company of both while pints were flowing there is no comparison. Bertie usually arrived in Fagans close to closing time and had 1, max 2 pints. Brian was a bit closer to my own consumption. The two are not in the same league.

Not intended as a criticism of either just stating my observations of both.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2010, 03:31:42 PM

Just for clarity having been in the company of both while pints were flowing there is no comparison. Bertie usually arrived in Fagans close to closing time and had 1, max 2 pints. Brian was a bit closer to my own consumption. The two are not in the same league.

Ah no, Cowen can drink :D

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 03:18:47 PM
And I thought you were from Cavan or somewhere?
Cavan ???   
I must have hurt you really deep to receive that attempt at an insult. I really do apologise.
Nevertheless, I refuse to accept your insult.
A truce perhaps?

AZOffaly

I thought you were Cavan. Monaghan? Although it must be somewhere truly metropolitan and glamourous if you are slagging Cowen from being from Offaly, so maybe not :D

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2010, 03:31:42 PM

Ah no, Cowen can drink :D

That sounds like a challenge!
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2010, 03:38:30 PM
I thought you were Cavan. Monaghan? Although it must be somewhere truly metropolitan and glamourous if you are slagging Cowen from being from Offaly, so maybe not :D
monaghan if i mind right - more pubs per capita than any other county!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2010, 03:31:42 PMJust for clarity having been in the company of both while pints were flowing there is no comparison. Bertie usually arrived in Fagans close to closing time and had 1, max 2 pints. Brian was a bit closer to my own consumption. The two are not in the same league.

I've heard a story or two about the both of them and their drinking and from the stories, I think I'd rather drink with biffo.