Best GAA team of all time?

Started by are.ye.well, September 10, 2010, 04:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 12, 2010, 12:04:44 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 11, 2010, 11:58:51 PM
Cross had a generation of fantastic players.

Put it like this - had Armagh fielded Crossmaglen from 96-08 do you think they'd have been more successful? Honest question.

Honest answer, no.  How the f**k would the likes of myself and a few others been able to play against inter county players?  I'm sure the Pony or Darren Fay would have been shaking in their boots with me running towards them(cue jokes about the ground shaking under my delicate feet!).  Different ball game at county level but doesn't mean we could not be classed in the same league as the successful county teams.  Comparitives like that have to allow for context.

Allowing for the bottle-and-a-half of chateau nouveau-pauvre (€5.99 on special offer at SuperValu) that's sloshing around in me cerebral cortex, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. It's always been my experience that the higher the standard a man played at, the more devastatingly (and unfairly self deprecatingly) down to earth his assessment of his own worth as a player. The likes of me still fantasise about how we cudda binna contender.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on September 12, 2010, 01:04:47 AM

Put it like this - had Armagh fielded Crossmaglen from 96-08 do you think they'd have been more successful? Honest question.

Honest answer, no.  How the f**k would the likes of myself and a few others been able to play against inter county players?  I'm sure the Pony or Darren Fay would have been shaking in their boots with me running towards them(cue jokes about the ground shaking under my delicate feet!).  Different ball game at county level but doesn't mean we could not be classed in the same league as the successful county teams.  Comparitives like that have to allow for context.

Allowing for the bottle-and-a-half of chateau nouveau-poivre (€5.99 on special offer at SuperValu) that's sloshing around in me cerebral cortex, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. It's always been my experience that the higher the standard a man played at, the more devastatingly (and unfairly self deprecatingly) down to earth his assessment of his own worth as a player. The likes of me still fantasises about how we cudda binna contender.

Ye were always good at binnin contenders.

In fairness BC1 there weren't that many like Fay or the Pony (I think our Cahill was very underrated and we have gone a decade not finding a replacement for him).
MWWSI 2017

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2010, 01:08:51 AM

Allowing for the bottle-and-a-half of chateau nouveau-poivre (€5.99 on special offer at SuperValu) that's sloshing around in me cerebral cortex, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. It's always been my experience that the higher the standard a man played at, the more devastatingly (and unfairly self deprecatingly) down to earth his assessment of his own worth as a player. The likes of me still fantasises about how we cudda binna contender.

Ye were always good at binnin contenders.

In fairness BC1 there weren't that many like Fay or the Pony (I think our Cahill was very underrated and we have gone a decade not finding a replacement for him).

Aye but the longer we dont finda replacement, the better Cahill was!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

are.ye.well

good to see what i started. i forgot about crossmaglen-obviously a remarkable achievement. many many others are worthy of mention i only mentioned what i know from hear say. i wasn't even alive for the Kerry team of the 80's. gluck

blanketattack

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

Westmeath's All-Ireland Junior Football winning team of 1929
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Featuring one Dinny Breen, of the Rochforbridge Warriors? :D

Croí na hÉireann

That's some seriously good breeding Dinny, where did it all go wrong?  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

I blame my fathers side....Westport blood... >:(
#newbridgeornowhere

HiMucker

Heres one to think about.  You will like this Ross4life, the Clan na gael side from Roscommon that lost 4 all irelands in row (oh the pain), some achievement though to be in four all ireland clubs in a row.  I think they won seven connaght titles in a row during the same period.  Sheer class, truly an amazing accomplishment.

ross4life

Quote from: HiMucker on September 22, 2010, 05:32:56 PM
Heres one to think about.  You will like this Ross4life, the Clan na gael side from Roscommon that lost 4 all irelands in row (oh the pain), some achievement though to be in four all ireland clubs in a row.  I think they won seven connaght titles in a row during the same period.  Sheer class, truly an amazing accomplishment.

Yes an fantastic team that won 7 Connacht titles in 8 years & lost all those Finals! they were led by the Great Tony McManus but will be remembered as the Jimmy White of Gaa club football unfortunately  :(
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

saffron sam2

Allowing for the bottle-and-a-half of chateau nouveau-pauvre (€5.99 on special offer at SuperValu) that's sloshing around in me cerebral cortex, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. It's always been my experience that the higher the standard a man played at, the more devastatingly (and unfairly self deprecatingly) down to earth his assessment of his own worth as a player. The likes of me still fantasise about how we cudda binna contender.

"Hardy in prostrating himself at the feet of brokencrossbar1 shocker"  :o

Still waiting for your comments here.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15142.msg728961#msg728961
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet