GAA Forums Facilitating Player Power .

Started by Bing Crosby ., January 19, 2010, 09:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on January 21, 2010, 03:44:24 PM

That's a very fair post Johnny , you've summed it up pretty good .

So I take it you will be consistant and call for a ban on GAA reporting in the media?

johnneycool

Quote from: dublinfella on January 21, 2010, 04:00:42 PM

So I take it you will be consistant and call for a ban on GAA reporting in the media?

Who me?

Certainly not, but the GAA has to understand that with a raised profile not only do you become more valuable to sponsors who like their logos all over the papers and TV, there is a down side where the not so salubrious side will get reported as well and I'm including the likes of discipline, financial wrong doings and disputes like we're seen recently.

Back to the crux of the thread, do GAA forums facilitate player power, probably not as most players mentioned on these pages may be praised by one or two and lambasted by another group so its hardly going to raise anyones ego to the extent they feel empowered enough to take on their county board.
If Donal O'g was to have bothered to read through the thread on the Cork dispute in this forum he'd have seen polar opposites in terms of opinion. Ceratinly opinion on AFR reflected the polar opposites opinion seen on here.  Maybe on the likes of rebelgaa where the opinions were very anti Frank Murphy and Cork county board may the strikers have felt justified but then again the media was heavily involved in that dispute on both sides and it did get very messy and personal plus young, hip keyboard warriors don't like the 'dinosaurs' and grey suits who frequent county board meetings etc so they're always the easy target.

dublinfella

Quote from: johnneycool on January 21, 2010, 04:38:14 PM

Who me?

No, Bing Crosby.

Quote from: johnneycool on January 21, 2010, 04:38:14 PMCertainly not, but the GAA has to understand that with a raised profile not only do you become more valuable to sponsors who like their logos all over the papers and TV, there is a down side where the not so salubrious side will get reported as well and I'm including the likes of discipline, financial wrong doings and disputes like we're seen recently.

100% agree.

Quote from: johnneycool on January 21, 2010, 04:38:14 PMBack to the crux of the thread, do GAA forums facilitate player power, probably not as most players mentioned on these pages may be praised by one or two and lambasted by another group so its hardly going to raise anyones ego to the extent they feel empowered enough to take on their county board.
If Donal O'g was to have bothered to read through the thread on the Cork dispute in this forum he'd have seen polar opposites in terms of opinion. Ceratinly opinion on AFR reflected the polar opposites opinion seen on here.  Maybe on the likes of rebelgaa where the opinions were very anti Frank Murphy and Cork county board may the strikers have felt justified but then again the media was heavily involved in that dispute on both sides and it did get very messy and personal plus young, hip keyboard warriors don't like the 'dinosaurs' and grey suits who frequent county board meetings etc so they're always the easy target.

I don't really buy it. Do soccer players hang around foot.ie and take it seriously? Rugby players their forums? If anything the print media is a bigger factor in inflaming things than a couple of message boards.

As an aside, do any prominent GAA players post here?

AZOffaly

Some do. Some view it. Some families of those people view it, and some ex players view it, and post it. At least a couple of our regular posters have played/play county football and some of our posters were fairly successful, one in particular has All Ireland Club medals coming out his ears.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: dublinfella on January 21, 2010, 04:00:42 PM

Yes absolutely nothing less than a total blanket ban on all the GAA media coverage will make me happy .

Bing Crosby .

If these forums are not facilitating and prolonging the stagnation of the Limerick hurling debacle , well then I'm a monkey's uncle .

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Bing Crosby .

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Bing Crosby .

That man has a very warm face . You can see the kindness pouring out of his eyes . The chimp is no relation .

AZOffaly

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 05, 2010, 10:20:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2010, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 22, 2010, 12:44:10 AM

Very good Hardstation. I like the reason. An old 'right indicator'.

Don't go there again.

Maybe it's age but my memory of things is getting hazier and I think maybe I was fairly lined that day, but now the other times :P

pintsofguinness

Should be a caption competition.

If memory serves the ugly bollocks was only on about 30 seconds too  ;)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

saffron sam2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 06, 2010, 12:26:35 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 05, 2010, 10:20:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2010, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 22, 2010, 12:44:10 AM

Very good Hardstation. I like the reason. An old 'right indicator'.

Don't go there again.

Maybe it's age but my memory of things is getting hazier and I think maybe I was fairly lined that day, but now the other times :P

Feck, you've changed your tune.

Remember this.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=9072.msg429516#msg429516
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet