GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Unmitigated disaster i thought. I'm with minder - is it beyond the wit of man to organise people onto the pitch after the presentation is set up and the players are secured?

no atmosphere compared to other years and marginally better than 99 only because the presentation remained in the stand

ross4life

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 05, 2010, 09:02:50 PM
Thought it was a disaster to be honest. Lacked any sort of atmosphere at the end.

Lap of honour is something for soccer fans not GAA fans, seeing the losers is nothing new as well as they usally will be within the garda zone on hogan or be away from fans on pitch. Understand the Gaa might want to keep fans off pitch for safty but the vast vast vast majority of fans want to go onto pitch. Personally I'd prefer the GAA looking at an orderly contol of allowing the people get onto pitch where gates are quickly opened and even an area is set up in the centre of pitch for the prize giving.

Was a disaster. Same as McKenna's speech. Up to the Captain to say those words not him imo

Yup & non pitch invasions is a soccer thing too, at least we finally all got to see what that orange mesh the covers the front two rows of each stand is really used for

IMO the Gaa has turned the All Ireland celebrations into a anti climax
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

fearglasmor

With my sensible accountants head on I have been in favour of measures to prevent pitch invasions.
But after todays sterile anti climax at the end of the game I have to say there must be a better way.
As AZ posted before, there has to be a way to let people on the pitch once the players are safe.
Today was a sterile corporate anti climax after a fantastic Tipperary performance.
I'm actually dissappointed at the sheepishness of the Tipp supporters.
I wonder how will the Down or Cork lads behave ?

Hardy

The crowd and the players seemed to enjoy it fine.

The only thing wrong I thought was RTÉ's non-coverage of the celebration as the Tipp players brought the cup around. Surely the highlight of the whole occasion, but RTÉ seemed to think the people of Tipperary would rather look at talking heads in the studio than their heroes celebrating an All-Ireland win on the pitch. The "analysis", such as it was, could have waited, or else been done over pictures of the celebrations.

AZOffaly

Also as the talking heads were doing their analysis, I'm sure I heard 'The Galtee Mountain Boy' being sung, or was it played over the PA? If it was sung, RTE should have shown it. They are the iconic moments.

Maroon Heaven

Amateur celebrations would be how I'd put it.

Why have the GAA not listened to the countless players and managers who wish the fans on the pitch. Could they not get an area on field secure.

Pure marketing and sponsor promotion. Is that the first time the All Trophy had the sponsor's names on the plinth?

Streamers looked like they just had amber to save money - and more represented Kilkenny imo

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 05, 2010, 09:46:58 PM
Also as the talking heads were doing their analysis, I'm sure I heard 'The Galtee Mountain Boy' being sung, or was it played over the PA? If it was sung, RTE should have shown it. They are the iconic moments.

Yeah I thought I heard it and Sliabh na mBán. At least 1 of them was sung I believe though I'm open to correction.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

Thought it was a disaster to be honest. Lacked any sort of atmosphere at the end.

Lap of honour is something for soccer fans not GAA fans, seeing the losers is nothing new as well as they usally will be within the garda zone on hogan or be away from fans on pitch. Understand the Gaa might want to keep fans off pitch for safty but the vast vast vast majority of fans want to go onto pitch. Personally I'd prefer the GAA looking at an orderly contol of allowing the people get onto pitch where gates are quickly opened and even an area is set up in the centre of pitch for the prize giving.

Was a disaster. Same as McKenna's speech. Up to the Captain to say those words not him imo

Leave this McKenna lad alone, whoever he is.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: ONeill on September 05, 2010, 09:54:46 PM

Leave this McKenna lad alone, whoever he is.

Sorry Cooney... hahaha

Hardy

Some windbag Cooney is.

I could hear both Galtee Mountain Boy and Sliabh na mBan. Ridiculous to ignore this so that the three lads could tell us what we saw.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Hardy on September 05, 2010, 10:11:00 PM
Some windbag Cooney is.

I could hear both Galtee Mountain Boy and Sliabh na mBan. Ridiculous to ignore this so that the three lads could tell us what we saw.

Stupid they couldn't cut to the field.... Not rocket science to do that

Denn Forever

As everybody has said, very sterile and anti climatic.

Only plus point was the resounding Hip Hip Hooray from the fullish stands.

Well done Tipperary.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Donnellys Hollow

The Black Eyed Peas blaring out as the Kilkenny minors were receiving their cup was pathetic. What harm is a young lad having his few minutes in the sun and making a speech to a packed Croke Park?

Speed up the running order of the day was the excuse given I think.  ::)

If you want to cut anything from the day then why do the Taoiseach and Pádraig Duffy have to be presented to the crowd before the minor match?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Think of all those great moments of unconfined joy on All-Ireland final day down through the years.
Think of Anthony Daly and Joe Connolly looking out over a field covered in saffron & blue or maroon & white.
Iconic moments in Irish history.
We'll never have moments like that again.
Pitch invasions make the association look 'backward' and 'political'.
The marketing department has spoken.
And what are we left with?
Gaudy streamers being fired on top of the winning captain and a lap of honour surrounded by security men.
Next year it'll be in the middle of the pitch surrounded by sponsors logos.
Romantic Irelands dead and gone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

A complete disaster. There didn't appear to be any atmosphere, from what I could sense from the television. A sad day for the GAA, when Tipperary fans weren't allowed onto the pitch to celebrate with their neighbours, friends, family and work colleagues.
Testing Accessibility