GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/article.php?id=223

THE GAA have stated today that they will be hiring two Boeing AH-64 Apache twin-engine attack helicopter gunships each armed with a 30-millimeter   (1.2 in  )   M230 Chain Gun and two AGM-114 Hellfire and Hydra 70 rockets to deter fans from invading the pitch after next Sundays all Ireland final.

The gunships have brought criticism from fans who claim the €700k-a-day helicopters will be too noisy and will distract players away from the most important game of the year.

Kerry Footballer Paul Galvin stated today that the gunships would just ruin the atmosphere of the game.

"Sure how could you hear a whistle with them things flying over head. Both helicopters have twin engines and twin rotor blades. The down draft alone would blow the skull off ya sure." he said.

Earlier this year a safety presentation at Croke park outlined the dangers of pitch invasions so much so that it was decided to end the practice once and for all.

"It was our only option," said a GAA spokesman about the decision taken yesterday by the GAA's management committee. "We need to get the message across that pitch invasions, or any other breach of security, will be dealt with in a firm and direct manner.

"The gun ships will only start hovering in the last ten minutes of the game. It shouldn't affect game-play too much.

We have told the pilots to only shoot pitch invaders. However, we will make exceptions in emergency cases. Both men have been told to not use the AGM-114 Hellfire and Hydra 70 rockets unless its absolutely necessary."

"We want people to exit the stadium by the way they came in. We are doing this so nobody gets hurt. Its all about safety." he said.

Supporter of the gunships, Thomas Hardyman, stated that the GAA made the decision themselves to hire the helicopters, if they hadn't, it would have been forced on them by the safety authorities anyway.

In that case, the restrictions would probably be much more severe and might even include a reduced capacity. This would mean a huge loss for the GAA and an even harder push on referees to blow up a game while drawn.

Tens of thousands of fans are expected to travel to Croke Park on Sunday, for the minor championship semi-final between Galway and Cork as well as the senior football game.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

Just looking at it there now during the minor teams warm up.  Jeez its an awful looking contraption.  It will be bad enough as it is but if you are standing in the lower rows and there is a shower of rain Peter may get a set of windscreen wipers fitted on each section.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

They must be bad because there is nobody wanting to stand in the first ten rows or so.  I can see a big problem when the Hill is full because those in first will take up the positions you see now after 8 minutes of the minor game. However, wearing my Prophet of Doom hat, when late comers arrive and come up the stairs at the back there will be trouble if they expect the ones that took up prime positions to move down to the front. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

jas376

Am I missing something here?  Spectators from Hill 16 can no longer come on to the pitch because of the new barriers but spectators from the Hogan and Cusack stands still can? Is this right and if it is , is it not discriminatory? Can someone help me please?

Kerry Mike

worked well today, everyone got the same view without the crushing and the drunken back slapping and Tipp got a deserved lap of honour and were able to enjoy their famous moment.  lets hope the football final works out as well
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Jinxy

The 'Communications Director' Lisa Clancy was on the radio a second ago banging on about how great it was that people were kept off the pitch.
I wonder what her home club is?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

Yep, won over by it today. The Kilkenny players were able to stay on the field which sort of added to the victors and vanquished occasion. Fans on the Hill seemed to enjoy it rightly too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

The camera men seemed to be caught out by the ticker tape appearing. Were they not told about it?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Could they not have let the "patrons" on after ten minutes when everyone was safely cordoned off under the Hogan?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

armaghniac

It's a pity they didn't have them helicopter gun ships when Cross were playing Kilmacud!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on September 05, 2010, 08:33:50 PM
It's a pity they didn't have them helicopter gun ships when Cross were playing Kilmacud!
so cross would think it was a home game?

Bogball XV

Quote from: ONeill on September 05, 2010, 07:05:07 PM
Yep, won over by it today. The Kilkenny players were able to stay on the field which sort of added to the victors and vanquished occasion. Fans on the Hill seemed to enjoy it rightly too.
didn't like it all, thought it detracted from the atmosphere after the game tbh.  Although I have a dislike of almost everything mckenna does, this one especially, since he's never actually quantified the cost - I wonder how much having 3 lines of stewards surrounding the pitch costs by the way?

Maroon Heaven

Thought it was a disaster to be honest. Lacked any sort of atmosphere at the end.

Lap of honour is something for soccer fans not GAA fans, seeing the losers is nothing new as well as they usally will be within the garda zone on hogan or be away from fans on pitch. Understand the Gaa might want to keep fans off pitch for safty but the vast vast vast majority of fans want to go onto pitch. Personally I'd prefer the GAA looking at an orderly contol of allowing the people get onto pitch where gates are quickly opened and even an area is set up in the centre of pitch for the prize giving.

Was a disaster. Same as Cooney's speech. Up to the Captain to say those words not him imo