AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 15, 2010, 11:51:50 AM
Completely off-topic, but I know James McCartan senior was from Donaghcloney.  How did the current manager end up with Burren?  Did the family leave Donaghcloney and move down Burren way?
Be careful not to open a can of worms!  ;)
Short answer is, that Wee James transferred to Burren after the heart of a local lady. He formally played for Tullylish.

marym

Just getting back to Downs fullback line.  Irish Examiner today and training sessions would suggest Dan Gordan will be on Donnacha O Connor with Sheehan in the corner.

EC Unique

Quote from: artisan2010 on September 15, 2010, 08:24:57 AM
Have to agree with Onion Bag.  After the euphoria of the semi final win and now the final is almost here the actual realisation of facing Cork on Sunday is sinking in.  The psycological babble bout brittleness on the Cork side and tradition of not losing  final on the Down side is crap.  Its all about the performance of the players and the choices the management teams make on the day.
In terms of decision making during the game I think the Down backroom team had only one poor outing this year, yes it was the tyrone game!.  I would have faith in wee James making necessary changes early on depending on Cork game plan i.e. continuing the running game or moving to the long high ball into the  full forward line.   
It appears the Cork players dragged themelves to the final despite the Cork backroom teams shortcomings or indecision.  Both teams will go onto the Field thinking they can win.  I hope we get a showpiece final a sore head and no voice for three days.

Totally agree there. What Down done in the 60s or the 90s has no relevance what so ever and you can bet that it will not be mentioned in the Down changing room on Sunday.

Cork have stumbled and mis-fired their way into this final and they have yet to get near the form that put Tyrone out last year. If they find that form on Sunday I fear we are in for a Final similar to that of 2006.

rrhf

rubbish on the 2 points - all those in the know are downplaying the Down tradition,  it is the main reason why they have the confidence in pushing on in Croke Park, that Cockiness that dosent exude from a Fermanagh, Westmeath or Kildare man in Croke Park.  People have talked for 40 years about Downs ability to fly high in all ireland finals and you guys dont think it matters - such a load of crap.  If you dont think tradition counts EC look at your own county - why do these young fine footballing Errigal Ciaran teams for the most part flounder whilst Carrickmore men at 35 - 40 years old have been beating youse for fun all these years...  tradition sir.

Rubbish (ec point 2) but for a referee that was ridiculously one sided last year - and Harte messing up the deal with Cavanagh- Tyrone would have done 2 in a row.  Watch that game again to see how misfunctioning Tyrone were.  Harte had a crap game that day as well.

nrico2006

Quote from: western exile on September 15, 2010, 11:56:23 AM
Completely off-topic, but I know James McCartan senior was from Donaghcloney.  How did the current manager end up with Burren?  Did the family leave Donaghcloney and move down Burren way?
Short answer is, that Wee James transferred to Burren after the heart of a local lady. He formally played for Tullylish.

So is he now a resident of Burren or does he live up the Donaghcloney way?  Is James Snr still about there?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

western exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 15, 2010, 12:29:32 PM

So is he now a resident of Burren or does he live up the Donaghcloney way?  Is James Snr still about there?
Yes, resident of Burren.  afaik James Snr is still in Donaghcloney

snoopdog

Quote from: western exile on September 15, 2010, 12:38:51 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 15, 2010, 12:29:32 PM

Yes, resident of Burren.  afaik James Snr is still in Donaghcloney

i thought James senior now lives in Mayobridge/Saval??
Was James senior not originally a Glenn man, i know he played for Glenn.

mountainboii

Quote from: rrhf on September 15, 2010, 12:17:54 PMRubbish (ec point 2) but for a referee that was ridiculously one sided last year - and Harte messing up the deal with Cavanagh- Tyrone would have done 2 in a row.  Watch that game again to see how misfunctioning Tyrone were.  Harte had a crap game that day as well.

In other words, Tyrone would've won but for the fact that they weren't good enough to win. Excellent.

MCMLX

Changed times. No mention of the caravan. ;) He is a `point man now, he still doesnt live in Burren.

artisan2010

Quote from: rrhf on September 15, 2010, 12:17:54 PM
rubbish on the 2 points - all those in the know are downplaying the Down tradition,  it is the main reason why they have the confidence in pushing on in Croke Park, that Cockiness that dosent exude from a Fermanagh, Westmeath or Kildare man in Croke Park.  People have talked for 40 years about Downs ability to fly high in all ireland finals and you guys dont think it matters - such a load of crap.  If you dont think tradition counts EC look at your own county - why do these young fine footballing Errigal Ciaran teams for the most part flounder whilst Carrickmore men at 35 - 40 years old have been beating youse for fun all these years...  tradition sir.

Rubbish (ec point 2) but for a referee that was ridiculously one sided last year - and Harte messing up the deal with Cavanagh- Tyrone would have done 2 in a row.  Watch that game again to see how misfunctioning Tyrone were.  Harte had a crap game that day as well.
If your talking about finals yes it is five out of five, no Down will not feel inferior when they step on the field but does it make each player feel they have  god given right to win.  Does it give them an advantage in decision making on the field or in a 50-50 ball.  Your point re the other counties is let down by the examples you give.

superblues

wee James lives in warrenpoint and James senior lives in mayobridge/saval

artisan2010

Sure its getting difficult to know where the point starts and Burren ends or the other way round.  Is Burren a Parish in its own right now?
Was always Burren for Football and the point for sandcastles or has all the sand gone on holiday to greenore again 

MCMLX

You cant build sand castles from stone. Have you ever seen any sand in the point? Wee James is a Moygannon man, definitely not in Burren.

artisan2010

Did Newry and Mourne Council not truck sand in each year and dump it beside the old swimming baths.  The tide washd it out over the course of the year and the council bought the same sand again.  Or is that just a myth

MCMLX