AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jas376

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 14, 2010, 12:15:55 PM

This type of journalism suits Cork very well in the lead up to next Sunday, by the way.

I don't think it does, Cork have shown over the years that they are mentally brittle. The media last year (with the ex Kerry players as the ringleaders) repeatedly reported that the Kerry team weren't good enough to win the AI. Tell a Kerryman that he's not good enough and he'll prove you wrong, tell this Cork team and they'll start believing you. I think they will struggle to get up to their semi-final performance (which wasn't that great) and whether it was enough will depend on what Down team turns up. I know a few Cork lads and they are not at all confident, Cork will find it next to impossible to turn it around IMO.

I think the 'mentally brittle' tag has been overstated. If Cork is so mentally brittle how are they back in their third AI final in four years, contested six consecutive AI semi- finals  and only lost to one team in the championship since '04.

Cork has been 'mentally brittle' when facing  Kerry only, simply because, in my opinion, Kerry has had better footballers than Cork in recent years - talent always wins out in the end. Also, Kerry always play above themselves when facing Cork.,such is the rivalry between the two counties.

This Cork team has shown a lot of mental strength this year by eking out narrow wins in difficult circumstances. I don't think that this young Down team will  really trouble Cork psychologically before the game. Down are good but they're not unbeatable.

Nor do I think that Cork would be unduly worried by negative media criticism. Infact some of the things that have been said about them will be used to motivate them that's why I think negative media coverage could help Cork this year.

western exile

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 14, 2010, 08:11:35 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on September 14, 2010, 07:48:24 PM
Agree with a lot of that but surely that is a little harsh on Brannigan. Despite a one or two nervous looking moments I thought he did a decent job trekking Doyle

I agree. It was horses for courses and Choc was best suited to mark Doyle as Garvey was struggling.
Garvey was actually injured in the shoulder, so it was a forced substitution.  Brannigan is their first choice replacement at wing back, with O'Hagan next in line.

In the Onion Bag

I'm all for the traditional Down cockiness, its good, but we must not allow this to blur the facts facing us in Sunday's challenge.  This Cork team are serious opposition and we are rightly underdogs. 

I am in little doubt Down will win but!!!  should Cork find ther 2009 form that has deserted them so far this year we stand to lose our proud record of never been beaten in an AIF.   If that is the case then fair fecks to Cork (always liked them anyway).  From 1 - 15 (or 20) they have the bigger, stronger more experienced squad than us and, were it not a final, my money would be on Cork. 

But it is a final so we have a real chance and we are quite good at finals.  We have a skillful set of forwards, an organised defensive system, a competitive midfield and a useful bench.  Cork have these as well so hopefully, together they will dish us up a great final of open attacking football.   Can't wait. 

To all Down heads I say keep up the craic, enjoy the banter but, especially on this, the only sensible thread on the go at the moment, lets keep it real, fact based and most of all mutually respectful. 
Take the slagging, shitetalk and banter to Hardstation's and Trout's threads instead.  They will believe anything you post.

In the Onion Bag

ps:  need one more ticket badly - any offers please pm me?

Rossfan

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 14, 2010, 07:40:46 PM
.Sligo were well up for it and outnumbered the Down support by about 4 or 5 to 1.

A crowd of 8,000 I believe so about 1,500 Down followers.
Ought to be plenty of spare tickets around Sunday so. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snoopdog

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 14, 2010, 09:48:12 PM
ps:  need one more ticket badly - any offers please pm me?
arent you lucky to have one. no sign of any yet

rosnarun

I think a myth has grown up about Down's performance in Tullamore. With no disrespect to the Offaly men ( particularly AZ who is balanced and fair) I don't think Down were ever going to lose that game.Three points to consider First of all there was the balls up with the bus going to Mullingar. Second , one of the few bad calls made all year by management in not spotting that the Offaly corner forward and 5 foot nothing John Reynolds took big Dan to the wing for their goal in the first minute . Third, the only bad substitution (apart from bringing on Aidan Brannigan V Kildare) the management made all year was to take off our best player on the night- John Clarke- and put us under needless pressure for the last 10 minutes.
Another myth is that Down were up against a depressed Sligo team.Sligo were well up for it and outnumbered the Down support by about 4 or 5 to 1. The performance that night was close to perfect and many of us realised then that this year was special. So , while Cork are clearly a more experienced and physical team, the whole is less than the sum of the parts; since Kingspan Breffni Down are much greater than the sum of the individual players.Give me a good team over a collection of good players any day.

I was at that match and ther e was no way down were going to lose Provided Offaly kept missing sitters. Though i dont think cork have any songle forward as good as Mcnamee then again neither do Down but they Cork have a much better spread of talent. which its doubtful Down will be able for
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Seandoc

Quote from: Rossfan on September 14, 2010, 09:51:06 PM
.Sligo were well up for it and outnumbered the Down support by about 4 or 5 to 1.

A crowd of 8,000 I believe so about 1,500 Down followers.
Ought to be plenty of spare tickets around Sunday so. ::)

Thought the crowd was about 50/50 for that match point remains a valid one though about the spare tickets.

artisan2010

Have to agree with Onion Bag.  After the euphoria of the semi final win and now the final is almost here the actual realisation of facing Cork on Sunday is sinking in.  The psycological babble bout brittleness on the Cork side and tradition of not losing  final on the Down side is crap.  Its all about the performance of the players and the choices the management teams make on the day.
In terms of decision making during the game I think the Down backroom team had only one poor outing this year, yes it was the tyrone game!.  I would have faith in wee James making necessary changes early on depending on Cork game plan i.e. continuing the running game or moving to the long high ball into the  full forward line.   
It appears the Cork players dragged themelves to the final despite the Cork backroom teams shortcomings or indecision.  Both teams will go onto the Field thinking they can win.  I hope we get a showpiece final a sore head and no voice for three days.

marym

Sunday game on Sunday night showed Down's fullback line and their weakness under the high ball.  Cork full forward Sheehan is very good in the air. Also against Dublin Nicholas Murphy was floating in and out .

rrhf

The big question to me is.  Will Cork take anything from the cynicism of their opponents in last years all ireland final.  Nobody expected Kerry to try to remove the heads of the Cork Lads last year -- thats what they did.   When a game is between 2 football teams its usually the team that changes tactics,  hits the hardest and is prepared to do anything to win that wins.  Are either of these teams prepared to get down and dirty...   

western exile

Quote from: marym on September 15, 2010, 10:29:55 AM
Sunday game on Sunday night showed Down's fullback line and their weakness under the high ball.  Cork full forward Sheehan is very good in the air. Also against Dublin Nicholas Murphy was floating in and out .
I did not see the Sunday Game this week. But, the high ball would indeed be a weakness of Dan McCartan, which Kildare exploited to their best ability.  However, it would be a strength of Dan Gordan who will most likely pick up Sheehan.

western exile

From Seán Moran in the Irish Times

For the first time in eight years the All-Ireland will be won by a county that is not Kerry or Tyrone. Cork have been contenders for most of that period. Their fate against Kerry is known, but on the only occasion they were asked to play the other outstanding team in the game, Tyrone, they won comfortably last year.

There is no particular reason, in other words, for Cork to be considered unreliable in the face of any opposition other than Kerry, which for the past decade has been fielding outstanding teams and picking up five All-Irelands.

Interestingly, Cork don't appear to suffer from the same inhibitions as Kerry when it comes to playing Ulster counties. By this stage, the latter have played 10 finals against northern opposition and have returned only a 40 per cent success rate. From more limited exposure – three finals – Cork are 66 per cent.

Even in recent years since the new system has been introduced Kerry have faced Ulster opposition eight times in the All-Ireland stages, from quarter-finals up, and have lost five, whereas Cork are three from three.

Of course he cannot compare statistics for Down as this is the first year that they have been involved in the All-Ireland stages from quarter-finals up.  100% record so far  8)

western exile

Quote from: rrhf on September 15, 2010, 11:07:44 AM
The big question to me is.  Will Cork take anything from the cynicism of their opponents in last years all ireland final.  Nobody expected Kerry to try to remove the heads of the Cork Lads last year -- thats what they did.   When a game is between 2 football teams its usually the team that changes tactics,  hits the hardest and is prepared to do anything to win that wins.  Are either of these teams prepared to get down and dirty...
Fair question. (I assume from your implication that "down and dirty" means "cynical foul play").   I don't think Down are prepared to.  It might just be Corks best chance of winning though  ???  Lets hope they don't, and both teams have a brilliant football battle.

nrico2006

Completely off-topic, but I know James McCartan senior was from Donaghcloney.  How did the current manager end up with Burren?  Did the family leave Donaghcloney and move down Burren way?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'