Ulster Colleges 2010-2011

Started by duvet dave, August 18, 2010, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'm almost certain that Diarmuid Marsden featured as a Colmans sub in the 1990 final,  when a 4th year. I'd need to do a bit of digging but there's a few of or around Marsden's vintage - Conor Lavery, Niall Magee, Martin McEvoy, Sean Cunningham - who might have done something similar. If we are talking though about making a significant contribution to a MacRory win, well then young Haughey has few peers.

I'm delighted for Colmans. Given the number of key players they were able to return this year, it was kind of insulting that they weren't favourites throughout; especially when one of those players - in the shape of Mooney - is basically a once in a generation talent.

Personally I found the Johnston boys disappointing today. Both of them tried to show leadership by example, and basically took too much upon themselves. I'm a fan of them - Ryan in particular - but they fell badly into a trap of trying too hard to be big game players. But, they both contributed a lot to a big College performance, in which nos. 11, 5, 13 and Haughey at 7, made sure enough dirty ball was won for the stars to shine. 

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

clarshack

very disappointed with academy today. lot of big players didnt turn up and management played 3 key players out of position which didnt help. having said that - the best team won overall.

but what did people think of the disputed point in the 2nd half?

clarshack

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 17, 2011, 11:35:30 PM
Academy kicked enough wides to win the game easily especially in the last 10.

It was lost on the line.

i said after 10 minutes that it was being lost on the line.

ryan devlin is not a target man and never will be. he's never played full forward for stewartstown ever - that's not his game. kiefer morgan is more dangerous in the full forward line. morgan and devlin roles should have been swapped. what harry og was doing in the half forward line i will never know.

crazy stuff tbh.

clarshack

at the end of the day the academy played as individuals and therefore had no shape - and it showed.

the better team won but the academy management had a bad day at the office.

Banana Man

Quote from: Orior on March 17, 2011, 10:46:22 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on March 17, 2011, 09:37:30 PM
i hear there was a riot after the game today, any word?

Nah, that was the soccer final in Belfast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9428335.stm

jeysus your wee man will get killed by the hallion with the top off, good job yer man is in the middle of them ha ha

Glensman

Maybe have been asked/answered elsewhere and I am probably showing my ignorance but were the St Marys school the same one who one the McLarnon on the same day?

Orior

Quote from: Glensman on March 18, 2011, 04:18:44 PM
Maybe have been asked/answered elsewhere and I am probably showing my ignorance but were the St Marys school the same one who one the McLarnon on the same day?

Yes, St Mary's CBS beat St Paul's Bessbrook (Not sure if I needed that last apostrophe)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Glensman

Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2011, 04:25:15 PM

Yes, St Mary's CBS beat St Paul's Bessbrook (Not sure if I needed that last apostrophe)

Not many schools could win a senior football and senior soccer final on the same day. Fair play to them.

Surely there would/should have been a fair bit of crossover of the teams?

Glensman

Quote from: Glensman on March 19, 2011, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2011, 04:25:15 PM

Not many schools could win a senior football and senior soccer final on the same day. Fair play to them.

Surely there would/should have been a fair bit of crossover of the teams?

Just been reliably informed that the soccer was a 5th year soccer tournament...forgive my ignorance. Cheers

supersub

Are u sure it is 5th year? I know the captain of the St Marys soccer team was on the bench for the Gaelic match before.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: supersub on March 19, 2011, 06:58:28 PM
Are u sure it is 5th year? I know the captain of the St Marys soccer team was on the bench for the Gaelic match before.

Yes a 5th year competition, the lad who captain them was a Galls man
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

duvet dave

Back to Back Hogans now the Focus
Thu 24th Mar 2011

Hogan Cup semi-final :

Saturday, 26th March, 2.45pm Crossmaglen (EXTRA TIME in the event of a draw)

St Colman's Newry v Dundalk Colleges

Now that St Colman's Newry have stretched their record of BT MacRory crowns to 19, they are on the road in search of back-to-back Hogan titles, something that the Violet Hill College has not yet achieved.

However, on the road is quite relative in that they will play their semi-final THIS SATURDAY in Crossmaglen – within the school catchment area.

Dundalk Colleges' unexpected eclipse of the Leinster title a fortnight ago makes this semi-final something of a derby game for the MacRory champions.

St Patrick's Navan were hot favourites for the Leinster, but lost their way early in the final with Ciaran Byrne prominent.  Although the Dundalk combination played well in the first half, they had to thank goalkeeper Darren Breen for keeping them ahead by a point at the break.

The game hinged on a controversially awarded penalty 10 minutes from time that Patrick Reilly scored to put his side 2-8 to 0-10 ahead and they held on for victory.

Some may also point to a controversial call by Barry Cassidy in the BT MacRory final when he overruled his umpires to award Caolan Mooney a point, the difference between two super teams in an enthralling game on St Patrick's Day.

Mooney though starred in that final with 2 fine goals and he will attract plenty of attention from the Louth side in the semi-final.  He has been nursing a shin injury since, but Cathal Murray insists that he will be in the team from the start.

There may still be a couple of hard calls for the management though, with Colman Doyle and Tomas Mulholland – two players who missed out through injury on the MacRory final – pressing for inclusion once more.

Jack Haughey, who replaced Mulholland, had a very good game, with some in the stand even comparing him to James McCartan who also made his MacRory debut at 15.

Second half sub Patrick Morgan also impressed in attack, while Shay McArdle really stood out after moving from corner-forward to defence.

Last year's Hogan victory has really stood to St Colman's in the last two very tight games.  In each they held their composure and picked off the late scores to see them through – and in hindsight did not really look like losing despite the closeness of the scoring.

They move the ball quickly and have the ability to pick up breaking ball around the middle and find Jerome Johnstone in space.

Jerome's brother Ryan had an indifferent MacRory final, picking up a lot of ball, but also responsible for losing possession and over-carrying.  His midfield partner Conor Gough is a huge presence under the dropping ball.

Eamon Magee did not play in last year's MacRory or Hogan finals, but is strong at centre-back and has made a huge contribution with his accurate passing, while Pearse Casey's contribution on the 40 leaves the space for Mooney to attack with venom.

Dundalk Colleges beat a good Navan side, while a very good Academy team could not stop St Colman's claim back to back provincial crowns.

This game will really test the combination team.  Experience though should keep the Newry side's hopes of a double Hogan success on track.

In the other half of the draw, two more heavyweights of the Colleges' scene – Coláiste Chríost Rí of Cork and St Jarlath's Tuam – are in opposition.

The Cork side are strongly tipped this year – but St Jarlath's, chasing a 13th Hogan title, cannot be ruled out.

Submitted by: Seamus McAleenan

duvet dave

St Mary's Hopeful of Extending Run
Thu 24th Mar 2011

All-Ireland Colleges' B Football semi-final :

Crossmaglen, 1pm Saturday (EXTRA TIME in the event of a draw) :

St Mary's Belfast v Scoil Mhuire Clane

Two tough games in the latter stages of the BT MacLarnon Cup should stand to St Mary's Belfast as they face into the All-Ireland semi-final in Crossmaglen.

Against St Pius X, national champions 2 years ago, their early dominance was overtaken on the scoreboard entering the last 10 minutes, but Brendan Bradley produced a goal direct from a 45 and they held out for victory.

In the final, they had a 4 points lead at the break, but had to face the strong breeze a player down for the second half.

They managed that brilliantly as well as hitting vital scores on the break to see off St Paul's Bessbrook.

Although the Leinster final was on Saturday, the Glen Road management didn't get to see Scoil Mhuire Clane score a goal in each half through Conor Herbert and Kenneth Swords to take the title 2-8 to 0-9.

Herbert picked off half their total and only a point came from a free.

Donagh Finnegan made the point before the MacLarnon final that they had not seen their opponents in action and this helped them concentrate on getting their own game in order.

The school was on a long weekend, but came in on Monday to train and re-focus and Finnegan and his co-manager Sean McGoldrick are hoping that they bring their best game to Crossmaglen.

"The further you go in a competition, the harder the games become," said Donagh.

"We are now up against teams that have also won provincial titles and they will also believe that those wins bring with them an increase in confidence."

"We have had good opening halves in our knock-out games and that has left us in a good situation to hold on or push on.  We're hoping that this next game follows the same pattern."

Bradley's accuracy from frees during the second half of the MacLarnon final kept the pressure on St Paul's, but the midfield pairing of Eamon Quinn and Marc Jordan was particularly effective throughout, with Daragh McGuinness's ball-carrying and passing a key element.

Man-marker Ciaran Orchin was left standing by Jemar Hall on several occasions during the first half, but he settled to a strong game and saw Hall substituted near the end.  He will probably pick up score-getter Herbert.

The defence in general was compact and was not often stretched, with Eamon Quinn and McGuinness often dropping back as extra cover.

All these pluses must be replicated against Scoil Mhuire, while some of the mistakes evident need to be reduced, particularly forwards allowing their shots to be easily blocked down.

St Mary's have shown an ability to hold out in close encounters.  That brought their hosts, Crossmaglen, to another All-Ireland club title this year.  Perhaps it can be the key to the west Belfast side also reaching the national final.

Submitted by: Seamus McAleenan