Ulster Colleges 2010-2011

Started by duvet dave, August 18, 2010, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: bonzo on April 01, 2011, 04:41:49 PM
St Colman's do the work. Fierce loyal GAA school. They work to make footballers out of players. And once they combine, they have great methods and style of play. On the mention of the numbers, dont forget too that lads go to school a year earlier than down south. So you could wipe off 150 first years who are only 11 when they go in before making comparisons.
Mind you, not bad going for the young Haughey lad to make the team at 15...... Greg Blaney did it too away back in 78, a team beaten by Jarlaths in semi final. Some say wee James did it as well but i think he was 16 at the time. Dermot McNicholl was only 14, a 3rd year pupil in Maghera when he played McRory.  Best if luck to Colmans.

James won the Hogan cup in 1986 & 1988. He was born sometime in the first six months of 1971 (not sure his exact birthday). When he won his first Hogan cup he was in 4th year at school. I think that means he must have been at the oldest 15. He played in the McCrory finals of 1987 (lost to Abbey aged 16), 1988 (beat Maghera aged 17), and 1989 (lost to Maghera aged 18). To be 16 in the 1986 Hogan cup would have made him 19 in the 1989 decider, which would have meant he couldn't still have been at school.

But remember in those days the Northern teams sent down mostly their underage side to compete in the McCrory cup. It was mostly a Rannefast team not a McCrory team. The change came in and around 1986-1988 which is why from 1960-1985 only 4 Northern teams won the Hogan cup but from 1986-2010 13 Northern teams have achieved the feat.

CSC

James won one hogan (1986) when Rannafast winners rep Ulster in the Hogan Cup.

In 1988 the same team won Hogan again, this time as winners of the MacRory cup.

From a Maghera point of view, big Jeff won a Hogan at 15, and was a main reason why they won it, fantastic performace in the reply against Jar's.

Whats interesting, is that if they (Colmans) win, they will be the fifth team to do a two in a row. Jars, St Mels, Maghera, Navan have all completed it

PAULD123

Quote from: CSC on April 01, 2011, 07:19:56 PM

James won one hogan (1986) when Rannafast winners rep Ulster in the Hogan Cup.

In 1988 the same team won Hogan again, this time as winners of the MacRory cup.

From a Maghera point of view, big Jeff won a Hogan at 15, and was a main reason why they won it, fantastic performace in the reply against Jar's.

Whats interesting, is that if they (Colmans) win, they will be the fifth team to do a two in a row. Jars, St Mels, Maghera, Navan have all completed it

Good point, it is certainly something their record deserves. But why not aim for the stars. I notice that no team has won three in a row ever!!!!! I'm probably going to get in trouble for that one ;D

NP 76

just heard that its 20 euro into the Hogan cup final on saturday is this not alot of money into what really is minor football maybe i am wrong but on saturday night it was 13 euro for 2 inter county div 1 games with entertainment between the 2 games 

saffron sam2

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 01, 2011, 05:23:45 PM
It may not be the most relevant point but I'd like to say that besides football St Colman's have one of the best academic records in not only the North but the whole of the UK. Work is an ethic of the school and the strive to succeed is instilled right through the school system. I am sure in no small part this helps the work ethic of the footballers.

And yet it didn't make the top half of grammar schools in the north based on the figures published recently in the Irish News. Yet the other three grammar schools in Newry did.

I hope the College support can behave themselves this year though. Last year was disgraceful, the closest the GAA has ever come to a bunch of "Hooray Henrys".
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Brick Tamlin

Yes someone should think of the children

PAULD123

Haven't seen these tables so can't comment on them but last year 98% of A-level students at the College went on to secure university places. Other schools in Newry are also excellent and there is an outstanding academic record in the Newry area. But I have no intention of starting a debate about who got the best exam results. It was merely a point that there is a lot more to the College players than simply being bred as footballers, and that a positive attitude exists in the school generally.

The ticket price is outrageous, I guess it is to do with the amount of expected attendance and the cost of putting on a match at Croke park but I hope that it is not that price. At the very least NP76, I hope you get your value with another victory!

Brick Tamlin

Took a rest so the rest could play catch up. in fairness it let the lesser lights of Ulster & All-Ireland Colleges football have some of the limelight. Now the aristocrats are back on the big stage again, great to see. Two trully great GAA footballing nurseries locking horns should be a great day out.

NP 76

I think Brick the College would have to close down to let the chasing pack catch up it could take that long . Hope the pupils do behave themselves this year but think it was blew out of proportion to be honest a few flares on the pitch and heavy handed guards added to the probelm 

bonzo

You are right NP. And as for the talk from 'Take your points' about not breeding footballers for the last 12 years....... maybe not 'winners' but always footballers with the highest degree of sportsmanship. I may add too in response to Saffron Sam that this is not an exam forum but St Colman's did lead the Sunday Times League table as the top school last year. It is really irrelevant, as the narrow criteria used to make such a judgement does not consider all factors in the many facets of human development and background in the face of 'exams'. Anyone can couch statistics to suit themselves!
I'm sure there were plenty of so called genius minds in their day who propped up school academic league tables and who came to leading the Banks and other failing institutions in recent years........ when what mattered most was the moral integrity, that was sadly missing.  Give me the honest footballer with a heart rooted in his community any day. There'll be no measuring that most valued contribution to society.

PAULD123

Sory lads nothing of any merit to add, just wanted to say UP THE BLUES!!!!

I'm getting a bit excited about the prospect of a back-back All-Ireland, something they never acheived while I was at school in the halcyon days of wee James (They would have done it if it wasn't for the future 1993 Derry All-Ireland champions playing for Maghera)

Remembering my days at school, the build up to the matches, the bus trips, the songs, the sneaky diversions to the pub, Jamesy slicing through packed defences, umpires raising flag after flag. Ah good days lads good days. Thank god their back!

NP 76

Remember them well Paul great days all joined togrther for one or two days at least us and our neighbours sitting in the cantee learning new songs for the big day waiting on the busses and then hopefully taking the cuo back to present it to the President great days hope they continue this saturday Good luck lads

Estimator

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 06, 2011, 08:09:30 AM
Sory lads nothing of any merit to add, just wanted to say UP THE BLUES!!!!

I'm getting a bit excited about the prospect of a back-back All-Ireland, something they never acheived while I was at school in the halcyon days of wee James (They would have done it if it wasn't for the future 1993 Derry All-Ireland champions playing for Maghera)

Remembering my days at school, the build up to the matches, the bus trips, the songs, the sneaky diversions to the pub, Jamesy slicing through packed defences, umpires raising flag after flag. Ah good days lads good days. Thank god their back!

The only member of the '89 team to start the '93 final was Tohill.  Burns came on as a sub.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Any craic

See a wonder goal from today in Cookstown at the Dalton Cup Final, Michael Mullan from Drumsurn is the lad who scored it. The best thing to come out of Drumsurn since Richard Ferris and Joe Irwin! http://bit.ly/ffWsav

Puckoon