2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Muzz on August 05, 2010, 01:04:50 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 05, 2010, 12:01:20 PM
You have to be a first class idiot to think Dublin get All Stars as token gestures.
Of course, there are many first class idiots out there.

They must have forgotten all about our token All Star in 2009? Excluding 2007 when we deservedly got 4 All Stars for running Kerry so close in the All Ireland semi-final (Kerry got 6), Dublin have received only 3 All Stars in 6 years, despite winning 5 provincial titles and appearing in one other semi final.

Anyone who doesnt rate Cluxton hasn't a notion.
How many All-Stars has Cluxton got now as token gestures to the Dubs during their barren years?

Some might say you would have to be a first class idiot to say Cluxton deserved an All-Star in 2002, 2006 and 2007.  Certainly think he is a fine goalkeeper but not worthy of an all-star for each of these years.

Don't bother requesting I justify the reasons why I feel he should not have 3 All-Stars to his name, it is personal opinion and these debates constantly arise following the news of the all-stars.
So he got 3 All stars which were "token gestures" in Dublin's "barren years" of 02, 06 and 07, when the Dubs were beaten All Ireland semi-finalists and Leinster champions.

Clown

Muzz

You seem to put a lot of pride in winning Leinster in these years when it was one of the weakest periods of leinster football.  But granted I will give you that Dublin made it to All-Ireland Semi-Finals. 

So with that in mind.

2002 - Cork were also beaten All-Ireland Semi-Finalists and receive 1 all-stars and dublin got their 3 "tokens" - Kerry All-Ireland Finalists get 2!!!

2006 - Again Cork beaten Semi-Finalists got 2 All-Stars (beaten by eventual All-Ireland Champions) - Dublin got 2 All-Stars beat by Mayo (whom drew with Loais before beating them in a reply and then got humped in the All-Ireland Final)  Mayo - beaten finalist also received 2!

2007 - Meath beaten All-Ireland Semi-Finalists get 0 All-Stars - Dublin 4.  Cork the beaten all Ireland finalists got 1!!!

Regardless Hound how you look at it and with your pathetic statements - I'll say it again - debates will always rage as to who should have and who shouldnt have got All-Stars!  My opinion is that Cluxton did not deserve an All-Star for each of these years.  In my OPINION there were better goalkeepers more deserving of the award that simply handing token gestures to the dubs (which is quite obvious when you look at the number of all-stars dublin get - for the little they have acheived)

tyroneboi

As a matter of interest Muzz who do you think should have got the awards in the years you mentioned? I think Cluxton is probably the best keeper in Ireland. 

heffo

Quote from: Muzz on August 05, 2010, 03:44:06 PM
You seem to put a lot of pride in winning Leinster in these years when it was one of the weakest periods of leinster football.  But granted I will give you that Dublin made it to All-Ireland Semi-Finals. 

So with that in mind.

2002 - Cork were also beaten All-Ireland Semi-Finalists and receive 1 all-stars and dublin got their 3 "tokens" - Kerry All-Ireland Finalists get 2!!!

2006 - Again Cork beaten Semi-Finalists got 2 All-Stars (beaten by eventual All-Ireland Champions) - Dublin got 2 All-Stars beat by Mayo (whom drew with Loais before beating them in a reply and then got humped in the All-Ireland Final)  Mayo - beaten finalist also received 2!

2007 - Meath beaten All-Ireland Semi-Finalists get 0 All-Stars - Dublin 4.  Cork the beaten all Ireland finalists got 1!!!

Regardless Hound how you look at it and with your pathetic statements - I'll say it again - debates will always rage as to who should have and who shouldnt have got All-Stars!  My opinion is that Cluxton did not deserve an All-Star for each of these years.  In my OPINION there were better goalkeepers more deserving of the award that simply handing token gestures to the dubs (which is quite obvious when you look at the number of all-stars dublin get - for the little they have acheived)

What does the volume of All-Stars that a particular county gets have to do with how deserving or not so Cluxton was in those three years?

Who was better than him in 02, 06 & 07?

Muzz

Im not saying he is not the best goalkeeper in Ireland.  I just dont think Cluxton deserved the 3 All-Stars he has won.

Looking at the number of goals condeded up to and including the Semi Finals.

2002 - Semi Finalists - Cork Conceded 5, Kerry and Dublin 4 and Armagh 3.

2006 - Semi Finalists - Mayo 4,Kerry 3 , Cork 1 and Dublin 1

2007 - Semi Finalists - Meath 4, Dublin 2, Kerry and Cork 1

I appreciate that All-Star is not soley chosen on number of goals conceded but it will be one of the choices.

To answer your question tyroneboi I would probably have given 2002 All-Star to Brenny Tierney as he kept a clean sheet in the Final where as Declan O'Keefe didnt.

In 2007 I would have given it to Diarmuid Murphy.  He conceded one more goal that Cluxton but played in the All-Irlenad final where he conceded that extra goal.

2006 Cluxton can keep as this year I think he won it fairly and squarely.  There was only one other goalkeeper that came close and this was Alan Quirke.

Muzz

Quote from: heffo on August 05, 2010, 04:23:22 PM

What does the volume of All-Stars that a particular county gets have to do with how deserving or not so Cluxton was in those three years?

Nothing really but when my first statement said "How many All-Stars has Cluxton won as Token Gestures to the dubs?"

To me Cluxton should probably only have one all-star to date and Dublin should never have got their 4 in 2007 or their 3 in 2002.

INDIANA

Quote from: heffo on August 05, 2010, 04:23:22 PM
Quote from: Muzz on August 05, 2010, 03:44:06 PM

So with that in mind.

Just found out Heffo Muzz is David Brady in disguise. Never seen any individual with a greater dislike of Dublin. So it must be him. Cluxton has been the best keeper in ireland for at least 5 years. They are the facts I'm afraid.

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2010, 09:59:06 PM

. Cluxton has been the best keeper in ireland for at least 5 years. They are the facts .

No. Just an opinion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Cluxton reminds me of Shay Given good keeper great shot stopper but lack's the presence & character of other great keepers of the past

& speaking of character's i still don't why Shane Curran didn't get the All-Star instead of Fergal Byron in 2003
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

heffo

Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 10:16:50 PM
Cluxton reminds me of Shay Given good keeper great shot stopper but lack's the presence & character of other great keepers of the past

When was the last time you saw him beaten under a high ball against a 'big man' - he's flawless under a high ball - see his player of the tournament award in 2004 in International rules..

Dinny Breen

Joe.ie have been updating there's after each weekend of football, this is their current team

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/joes-all-stars/joes-football-all-stars-004155-1#st

1. B McVeigh
2. P McMahon
3. R O'Carroll-Kelly
4. P. Kelly
5. E. Bolton
6. G Canty
7. P Jordan
8. P Keenan
9. J Galvin
10.M Clarke
11. J Kavanagh
12. G Reilly
13. J Doyle
14. B Brogan
15. C Cooper
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Cluxton reminds me of Shay Given good keeper great shot stopper

I don't think the Meath forward line would agree with that
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2010, 09:15:46 PM
Cluxton reminds me of Shay Given good keeper great shot stopper

I don't think the Meath forward line would agree with that

which goal exactly was he at fault for? My granny would have scored 4 of them.
He was let down due to an appaliing defensive performance.

rrhf

I feel Tyrone performances have been conssitently of a higher standard than any other county in Ireland to date, and they are out.  To me I have yet to see better goalkeeping than Mc Connell this year and better no 7 play than Philip Jordan.  Now that might change from here on in.  The 2 mc Mahon brothers, Penrose and Mulligan would all be at this stage in line for nominations but as I said that might change as we progress.   

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 07, 2010, 12:46:54 PM
I feel Tyrone performances have been conssitently of a higher standard than any other county in Ireland to date, and they are out.  To me I have yet to see better goalkeeping than Mc Connell this year and better no 7 play than Philip Jordan.  Now that might change from here on in.  The 2 mc Mahon brothers, Penrose and Mulligan would all be at this stage in line for nominations but as I said that might change as we progress.   

I'd hardly call last Saturday a consistently high level of performance. Last Saturday put most of who you have mentioned comfortably out of contention.