2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Cluxton will be in with a shout along with O'Carroll, Brennan, McAuley, Cullen, B Brogan who is a racing certainty.

Would like to see Keenan/Galvin get at least one place in midfield anyway with McAuley competing with the Kildare midfielder for the other place.

Reilly, Kavanagh, O'Neill, Jordan, Gooch should be good options also

Donnellys Hollow

Éamonn Callaghan won the player of the month award for July.

Great to see him get some recognition for his recent good form.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

The face

I would love to see John Galvin get one, he was great against Cork and absolutely heroic against Kerry but I fear a lot more football will have been played by the time these awards are handed out and Galvin's efforts might lose out. Certainty for a nomination as is Paddy Keenan.

paddypastit

It's all a bit academic at this point but interesting thyat there are a few keepers genuinely in the running as for the last few years the keeper nomination has had us amatuers selectors struggling to think of a standout. In that respect to the point re the Rosc keeper, he actually had a crucial impact in Connacht as his save from David Kelly about a third of the way through the second half was in amny ways the turning of the game.  I thought he was very good last Sunday.  Cluxton to be fair could do very little about most of the scores vs. Meath and was left uterly exposed.  It was instructive though to watch his contribution to Dublin's play by contrast to Tyrone's short kick outs - not that they were a reflection on McConnell's ability as I assume that was a team tactic.

As for Clarke, I'd wager now that he will be player of the year. He's different from anything else that is out there and could be the catlyst for something big this year for Down
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Wee Shea

Quote from: paddypastit on August 05, 2010, 12:45:35 AM
As for Clarke, I'd wager now that he will be player of the year. He's different from anything else that is out there and could be the catlyst for something big this year for Down

Paddy Power has a POTY market, put your money where your mouth is.

Bernard Brogan       13/8
John Doyle    11/4
Martin Clarke    9/2
Graham Canty    9/1
Bennie Coulter    10/1
Daniel Goulding    12/1
Pearse O'Neill    14/1
James Kavanagh    18/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/footballer-of-the-year?ev_oc_grp_ids=223348

Oldira

Surely Geoffrey Claffey should be well in contention? Only one goal conceded in 4 games and some great saves and catches made in both CF and last Sunday. How Cluxton could get one after conceding 5 goals in a game is beyond me.

Muzz

How many All-Stars has Cluxton got now as token gestures to the Dubs during their barren years?

McVeigh or McConnell should get the goalkeeping one if it was picked today.

As another poster says - depends how the semi-finals go.

Canalman

Calm down lads................ Stevie Cluxton will NOT get an Allstar this year.

Conceding 5 crackers of goals v Meath put paid to that.

Imo an average keeper will be inserted to "satisfy" some county. My money is on Claffey as there is an above average amount of Rossies involved in the GAA media. Possibly the Down keeper.

However, I think that Cluxton's placing of kickouts is second to none. Our midfield precludes him from the luxury of hoofing it up the field like nearly all other keepers.

Can't honestly understand the bitterness towards him.............. apart from 2003 sending off (not the worst seen)imo he has been immaculately well behaved.

Am a massive fan of his  to be fair.

He is a very sound lad I believe also.

Hound

You have to be a first class idiot to think Dublin get All Stars as token gestures.
Of course, there are many first class idiots out there.

They must have forgotten all about our token All Star in 2009? Excluding 2007 when we deservedly got 4 All Stars for running Kerry so close in the All Ireland semi-final (Kerry got 6), Dublin have received only 3 All Stars in 6 years, despite winning 5 provincial titles and appearing in one other semi final.

Anyone who doesnt rate Cluxton hasn't a notion.

GBXII

Have to say, I used to think he was handed all stars every year as well, but having watched him live a lot in recent times I can see he is an excellent keeper and probably the best in the game. Definitely the best kickouts I've seen of any goalkeeper- always gives his team mates more than a 50/50 chance of winning the ball, whereas most keepers nowadays seem to just kick the ball in the general direction of their team mates.

He seems to make all the right decisions under the high ball too, even though he doesn't look particularly tall. Anyway, if Dublin win the AI or even if they get to the final I feel he should be in with more than a shout of an all star, especially given his contribution vs. Tryone.

DoireGael

Quote from: Muzz on August 05, 2010, 11:38:04 AM
How many All-Stars has Cluxton got now as token gestures to the Dubs during their barren years?

McVeigh or McConnell should get the goalkeeping one if it was picked today.

As another poster says - depends how the semi-finals go.

Yeah I would most surely say Mc Veigh, as long as theres no blunders.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on August 05, 2010, 11:54:16 AM
Calm down lads................ Stevie Cluxton will NOT get an Allstar this year.

Imo an average keeper will be inserted to "satisfy" some county. My money is on Claffey as there is an above average amount of Rossies involved in the GAA media. Possibly the Down keeper.

However, I think that Cluxton's placing of kickouts is second to none. Our midfield precludes him from the luxury of hoofing it up the field like nearly all other keepers.

Can't honestly understand the bitterness towards him.............. apart from 2003 sending off (not the worst seen)imo he has been immaculately well behaved.

He should have gotten the line against us in the Leinster final in 2006. Pulled one of our lads down clear through on goal. But we don't hold grudges :D

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 05, 2010, 12:30:54 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 05, 2010, 11:54:16 AM

He should have gotten the line against us in the Leinster final in 2006. Pulled one of our lads down clear through on goal.

I remember that incident well - it was at the Hill end. Identical to the Louth keeper taking Brogan down two weeks ago (he got a yellow)

What rule would you have sent him off under? Have you ever seen another keeper sent off for a similar foul?

AZOffaly

Ara I'm joking. (You're not going to get me to walk into the 'professional foul' spake, so you can go 'Aha, there is no professional foul in the GAA, got you bogger!').

Muzz

Quote from: Hound on August 05, 2010, 12:01:20 PM
You have to be a first class idiot to think Dublin get All Stars as token gestures.
Of course, there are many first class idiots out there.

They must have forgotten all about our token All Star in 2009? Excluding 2007 when we deservedly got 4 All Stars for running Kerry so close in the All Ireland semi-final (Kerry got 6), Dublin have received only 3 All Stars in 6 years, despite winning 5 provincial titles and appearing in one other semi final.

Anyone who doesnt rate Cluxton hasn't a notion.

Some might say you would have to be a first class idiot to say Cluxton deserved an All-Star in 2002, 2006 and 2007.  Certainly think he is a fine goalkeeper but not worthy of an all-star for each of these years.

Don't bother requesting I justify the reasons why I feel he should not have 3 All-Stars to his name, it is personal opinion and these debates constantly arise following the news of the all-stars.