AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2010, 01:01:09 PM
I always said that O'Gara was a sound fella  ;)

He didn't do much for Johnnys free-taking ability!  :D
I always think these things are just pointless PR gimmicks.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lazer

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 02, 2010, 01:55:20 PM
Tickets on sale for this already at Ticketmaster.ie....€45yo yos + €4-50 handling charge....robbin b**tards

According to the GAA website - tickets on sale soon

http://www.gaa.ie/tickets-and-merchandise/tickets/

On ticketmaster the Stands and Terrace are the same price
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

5 Sams

Thats cos standing and terrace are one and the same thing same Lazer!!
The Aristocrat Years

Lazer

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 02, 2010, 04:43:21 PM
Thats cos standing and terrace are one and the same thing same Lazer!!

I meant to write Stands and the Terrace!

Per Ticketmaster - Standing is €45
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2010, 02:02:50 PM

Aye, we got the Ireland O'Gara and not the Munster one..
#newbridgeornowhere

snoopdog

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2010, 06:08:48 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2010, 02:02:50 PM

Aye, we got the Ireland O'Gara and not the Munster one..
O Gara kicks the wrong shaped ball. Wouldnt be much use as a kicking coach for Gaa.
As for the Ticketmaster 4.50 fee pop up to Dorset street if your in the capital and you wont need to pay the fee.

Donnellys Hollow

JD could teach O'Gara a thing or two about running at defenders with the ball.

Any word on Dermot's knee? Heard he had a scan this morning.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Will be a closely guarded secret I'd imagine DH, he needs an op just depends on how much damage was done this time,  4 weeks will allow of lot a rehab, wouldn't risk him but I'm sure he'll risk himself....
#newbridgeornowhere

In the Onion Bag

Down are notorious semi-final bottlers and this will be another. 

Down's tradition will count for ziltch v Kildare.  There is zero history betweem them (save for Glasdrumman's epic extra time win over Rathangan in Celeb Bainistoir - hope this semi will be as close and as exciting as that was) so Down's pedigree won't register and Kildare will have to work hard to lose this one.

For us Down folk, on a postive, we will have next year to look forward to when our squad get more experience at the big level. 

WeePeteIsALegend

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 02, 2010, 09:40:37 PM

Down's tradition will count for ziltch v Kildare.
  There is zero history betweem them (save for Glasdrumman's epic extra time win over Rathangan in Celeb Bainistoir - hope this semi will be as close and as exciting as that was) so Down's pedigree won't register and Kildare will have to work hard to lose this one.

For us Down folk, on a postive, we will have next year to look forward to when our squad get more experience at the big level.

Make up your mind - either our 'notorious tradition' of bottling in previous semi finals will count or it won't.

Personally I think you're talking a load of balls. Notorious semi final bottlers? Where does that come from? We've only contested 12 and won 5 of them.

In 81 we came up against a very good Offaly side who a year later would beat the greatest side of all time in the final.
In 78 we were beaten by Dublin who had won the previous two All Ireland's.
In 71 we were an ageing side and easily beaten by Galway, after which it was the end of the road for a lot of players.
In 66 we were poor against Meath
In 65 we were beaten by the second greatest side of all time - Galway's three in a row team.
In 63 we were beaten by the better side - the eventual champs Dublin.
In 59 we were in our first semi, were a young inexperienced side and Galway beat us well.

I see extremely little evidence of 'notorious' semi final bottling.
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: WeePeteIsALegend on August 02, 2010, 10:07:18 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 02, 2010, 09:40:37 PM
We've only contested 12 and won 5 of them.

Thanks, you have just proved my point.

WeePeteIsALegend

Good argument.  ::)

5 from 12 is hardly a bottling record, is it, especially when you consider that more often than not an Ulster side will come up against superior sides in AI semi's. How moronic to consider every defeat a bottle job.

First you say we have a tradition of bottling semi finals....................then you say tradition will count for nothing.  :-[

Then I give reasons of our defeats in the semi finals, yet you don't want to counteract them. You say we bottled them.......so I guess every side who lost to Dublin's two in a row (78) or Galway's three in a row (65) sides just happened to bottle it? Or was that just us? Or do you think that those two teams might just have been far better than us and that's all there was to it? That's two semi's.

Only in 59 could you possibly make any assumption of bottling it, when we were a young side who had just won our first provincial title. I sincerely doubt that a side who won 3 all ireland's (and hence had already won 3 semi's) either side would bottle semi finals in 63, 65 and 66. So that's 6 of the 7 defeats in semi's mentioned. The other was in 81 against an Offaly side determined to get back to the final and finally take out Kerry, who had beat them the year before and had won 40 million all irelands in a row. Maybe Offaly were just better than us on that day too? No?
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2010, 08:23:10 PM
Will be a closely guarded secret I'd imagine DH, he needs an op just depends on how much damage was done this time,  4 weeks will allow of lot a rehab, wouldn't risk him but I'm sure he'll risk himself....

Amazing sacrifices he has made for the cause. Hopefully he'll soldier on again because the Down midfield looked fairly handy on Saturday. A few weeks of oxygen treatment could do the job.

If he does make it I reckon McGeeney might try to do what Tyrone did with Canavan a few years ago. Start him, take him off and then bring him on again for the last ten minutes or so. Himself, JD, Roli and Rainbow are the only lads who have been at this stage before. That experience could be important in the build up to the match.

WeePeteIsALegend

If you offered me 1/20 about DE making it, I'd have the house on.

Absolute cert to play a part.

And very deserving to play as well. Great player.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 02, 2010, 10:38:11 PM
Himself, JD, Roli and Rainbow are the only lads who have been at this stage before.

Oops - forgot about Paul Flood!