Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: T O Hare on July 29, 2010, 04:14:16 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 29, 2010, 04:09:54 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2010, 02:01:37 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 29, 2010, 01:54:59 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2010, 12:55:02 PM
Quotethat team wouldn't strike the fear of God ina team like Tyrone

Tyrone would be best worring about the Jackeens and not how we line out  ;)

Id say saturday will see the shift in Ulster teams traditionally supporting eachother. after they beat Down in Belfast their support were very arrogant. I for one will be cheering on the Dubs.The sooner their PUKE football is killed off the better.

I suppose you can't wait to the Sunday Game to see what Pat Spillane tells you to think next?

If you have to win an All Ireland by playing the Tyrone way then it aint worth it.
I would rather listen to Pat that that scruffy t.wat that writes in the irish news every friday.
Some counties have a tradition and reputation to uphold.

Trust me all Down folk are not this bad!!

Oh I know, and I'll be supporting Down against Kerry (though to be TOTALLY honest, if Kerry were to win, I wouldn't be completely heartbroken because I'd absolutely love Tyrone to get another crack at them  ;D ). That said, all the best on Sunday and I'll be cheering you all the way.

As for Snoop Dog Spillane here... what's it like to be a puppet who has to be told what to think by a bitter kerryman on RTÉ? Has nobody told you that the whole Puke football thing was seven years ago or have you been living under a rock since then? Your idol Pat is now in fact something of a fan of the Tyrone style of play. He was singing Tyrone praises on the Sunday Game after Tyrone beat An Dún in Casement, and apparently was even more full of praise for Tyrone in the Sunday World last week! I suppose you'll be thinking that Tyrone are wonderful now too? Or will ya have to find someone else to tell ya what to think instead now that Pat has divorced himself from the "Puke" football carry on?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Banana Man

jeysus lads is it any wonder the Normans came over and split the island up thanks to Dermot McMurrough and we all know what happened after that, we do nothing but fight with one another

I for one will be cheering on all my province's representatives i.e. Down at 2.00 and Tyrone at 4.00 and I make no apologies for backing Ulster.

I honestly think Down have a good chance otherwise what would be the point in turning up bt no matter what happens it will have been a good year and we will have high hopes for next year, until then we're still in it, Up Down!

snoopdog

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2010, 04:47:18 PM

Id say saturday will see the shift in Ulster teams traditionally supporting eachother. after they beat Down in Belfast their support were very arrogant. I for one will be cheering on the Dubs.The sooner their PUKE football is killed off the better.

I suppose you can't wait to the Sunday Game to see what Pat Spillane tells you to think next?

If you have to win an All Ireland by playing the Tyrone way then it aint worth it.
I would rather listen to Pat that that scruffy t.wat that writes in the irish news every friday.

Oh I know, and I'll be supporting Down against Kerry (though to be TOTALLY honest, if Kerry were to win, I wouldn't be completely heartbroken because I'd absolutely love Tyrone to get another crack at them  ;D ). That said, all the best on Sunday and I'll be cheering you all the way.

As for Snoop Dog Spillane here... what's it like to be a puppet who has to be told what to think by a bitter kerryman on RTÉ? Has nobody told you that the whole Puke football thing was seven years ago or have you been living under a rock since then? Your idol Pat is now in fact something of a fan of the Tyrone style of play. He was singing Tyrone praises on the Sunday Game after Tyrone beat An Dún in Casement, and apparently was even more full of praise for Tyrone in the Sunday World last week! I suppose you'll be thinking that Tyrone are wonderful now too? Or will ya have to find someone else to tell ya what to think instead now that Pat has divorced himself from the "Puke" football carry on?

Fair enough yes it was a few years ago. And tyrone did play football in 05 and 08 but what was that in their last 2 games. Surely Tyrone are better than that its not as if you dont have the players. Id personally love to see the Tyrone team play football and be released from the shackles that resort to strangling teams. you certainly have the players.
Im not having a personal jibe at Tyrone i just hate  all this negative crap and i thought the game was finally getting away from it. If Tyrone go out and destroy Dublin on saturday playing the football we know they can then i will support you. But come on its like the United team of 1999 playing defensively, its a total waste of magnificent talen.
im only stating my opinion and you can be rest assured im no fan of spillane.
Maybe my previous rant was a bit strong but its only an opinion. Monaghan and Fermanagh played that way for a few years cause they didnt have the players, But Tyrone have class all over the pitch as you well know.

Nally Stand

Quote from: snoopdog on July 29, 2010, 05:45:49 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2010, 04:47:18 PM

Fair enough yes it was a few years ago. And tyrone did play football in 05 and 08 but what was that in their last 2 games. Surely Tyrone are better than that its not as if you dont have the players. Id personally love to see the Tyrone team play football and be released from the shackles that resort to strangling teams. you certainly have the players.
Im not having a personal jibe at Tyrone i just hate  all this negative crap and i thought the game was finally getting away from it. If Tyrone go out and destroy Dublin on saturday playing the football we know they can then i will support you. But come on its like the United team of 1999 playing defensively, its a total waste of magnificent talen.
im only stating my opinion and you can be rest assured im no fan of spillane.
Maybe my previous rant was a bit strong but its only an opinion. Monaghan and Fermanagh played that way for a few years cause they didnt have the players, But Tyrone have class all over the pitch as you well know.

Fair play on a measured response :) And I do know what you are saying, we'd all like to see pretty football. I would say though that Tyrone on numerous occasions have only "turned it on" in the latter stages of successful campaigns. It would be unrealistic to expect a team to play sexy football through a full campaign. As I say, Tyrone often seem to really up a gear at this stage and have a number of players (particularly Owen Mulligan against the jacks) who seem to come into their best in Croke Park. I could be totally wrong, and am at odds with what Sean Cavanagh said in the paper today but I suspect that Tyrone will play a lot more open style of play than they have so far. Anyway, I'd say we're in the wrong thread with this discussion here and we're likely to soon feel the wrath of some cute hoors from Kerry. All the best for Sunday!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Caitlin

I think the midfield battle will have an influence.Darragh was a God - his loss will be felt. Quirke has the physique but has he the engine ? The Kerrymen will see a good battle between Quirke and King - he's firm but fair !
Ambrose is the quality man of the 4 and Scanlon will need to cover a lot of ground. I think this is where Galvin and T O Se will be missed and while Down at 3 to 1 is about right, it is tempting .
Anything other than a hammering for Down would be a result but I don't think there will be more than 3 in it either way.Bring it on !
Have a dilemma in the second game as have a lot of time for the Dubs but admire the passion of Tyrone. A draw, with Sean Cavanagh and Alan Brogan getting 3 months each would be about right.

redandblack4ever

Quote from: AFS on July 29, 2010, 02:55:30 PM
Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 29, 2010, 02:50:59 PM
I was always taught to cheer for Ulster teams no matter who they were playing.

Why?

Because my husband is a Down man born and bred. I guess I should've said the six Northern teams, but I do have special feelings for Monaghan. Not so much for Cavan or Donegal though.

The man who arranged for my husband's first job here in the US was a Monaghan man. As well as that,  two of the guys my husband played with on the Chicago Wolfe Tones were Monaghan men and are very special friends to us both til this day.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 29, 2010, 07:22:57 PM
Quote from: AFS on July 29, 2010, 02:55:30 PM
Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 29, 2010, 02:50:59 PM
I was always taught to cheer for Ulster teams no matter who they were playing.

Why?

Because my husband is a Down man born and bred. I guess I should've said the six Northern teams, but I do have special feelings for Monaghan. Not so much for Cavan or Donegal though.

The man who arranged for my husband's first job here in the US was a Monaghan man. As well as that,  two of the guys my husband played with on the Chicago Wolfe Tones were Monaghan men and are very special friends to us both til this day.

Christ, I'm going to puke. The thread has turned into an Ulster love in ::)

Kerry Mike

QuoteOh I know, and I'll be supporting Down against Kerry (though to be TOTALLY honest, if Kerry were to win, I wouldn't be completely heartbroken because I'd absolutely love Tyrone to get another crack at them

The Tyronies are gas you'd swear they had Dublin and and either Cork or Roscommon beaten already and were gearing up for a final, I hope you got a good rate on the Hotel in Sept, just make sure you have the right weekend.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

Absolutely they are being fierce coy on the Tyrone v Dublin thread but their true view of Dublin is seeping out on other threads.

Carbery

Rumour in Kerry is that Dara O'Se is training away and may make a surprise appearance for Kerry on Saturday.

Kerry Mike

QuoteRumour in Kerry is that Dara O'Se is training away

That would be Darragh....Of course he is training away as he is still playing with his club but is out at the moment with a broken bone in his arm.

Dont believe any rumours from Kerry, Bomber Liston was seen kicking a ball last week too..
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

QuoteSpillane makes light of history

Flashback to 1991 as Kerry's Pat Spillane closes in on Down's DJ Kane during the All Ireland semi final at Croke Park
29 July 2010

Pat Spillane believes Down's 100 per cent winning record against Kerry in the championship will count for little on Saturday.

The Mournemen have recorded victories over the Munster giants in each of their four previous championship meetings, the last of which came in 1991 when Peter Whitnall bagged two goals in a 2-9 to 0-8 All-Ireland semi-final win, which also happened to be Spillane's last game for the Kingdom.

Speaking to the Irish Times, Spillane mused: "The Down thing? Ah, the past is the past. That is more a creation of the media. Sure Kerry have never beaten Fermanagh (who they've never met in the championship).

"When we were on top there was no trace of Down, in the 1970s and 1980s. If there had of been they would have been destroyed."

Yet Spillane gives the Down record against Kerry high praise. "It will give them confidence and be sure that Jack (O'Connor) will be mentioning it in his team talks this week."

Spillane has vivid memories of the aforementioned 1991 All-Ireland semi-final and partly blames Mick O'Dwyer for the Kingdom's demise that day.

"It was the poorest Kerry team I played on in 17 years. It was the last remains of O'Dwyer. He held on to everyone for so long that they all left at the same time - I think I was the last to go. It left a big vacuum as young fellas had not been blooded.

"We caught Cork by surprise in the semi-final and struggled past Limerick to win Munster. And then Maurice Fitz (Gerald) had a rare off day from frees against Down, but the game was still in the balance until the last 10 minutes."

With Darragh O Se, Tadhg Kennelly, Diarmuid Murphy and Tommy Walsh no longer involved and Paul Galvin and Tomas O Se serving suspensions, Spillane believes Kerry are especially vulnerable at the moment.

"This is the day Kerry will be at their weakest. They stumbled over Limerick and badly missed Paul Galvin, getting destroyed in midfield because he was not there to gobble up all the breaks. And now Tomás is gone. Kerry to win but in a close, competitive game," he added.

y'see, Pat agrees with me about that '91 team being the worst ever....and he gives short shrift to the whole Down hoodoo thing as wll. Although with Paul and Tomas missing as well as Dara, Tommy and Tadgh gone I fear that Ulsters most deceitful opportunists may have timed their run perfectly again.

Overall,  very fair points by Pat. I always appreciate his insightful observations though he is much maligned on here.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Jeez, Spillane's 'mastery' of the English language is shocking:

QuoteSpillane makes light of history

Flashback to 1991 as Kerry's Pat Spillane closes in on Down's DJ Kane during the All Ireland semi final at Croke Park
29 July 2010

"When we were on top there was no trace of Down, in the 1970s and 1980s. If there had of been they would have been destroyed."[/b]
Yet Spillane gives the Down record against Kerry high praise. "It will give them confidence and be sure that Jack (O'Connor) will be mentioning it in his team talks this week."

Had OF been, WTF?  ???  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Wee Shea

James Mc Cartan has kept the faith with his Down team that overpowered Sligo in last weekend's qualifier by naming the same team for this weekend's kie against Munster Kingpins Kerry.

It promises to be an enthralling encounter with Down fans throughout the county set to make the trip to Jones' Road to see their charges back in action at Headquarters at the business end of the season.

All those who took part this weekend made a positive display of themselves and indeed those who entered the frey at various stages in the match also did very well, most noticeably Ronan Murtagh who notched up 1-5 from play having come off the bench in the second half.

Down team to face Kerry in Saturday's Quarter Final;

No. Ainm (As Gaelige) Name (In English) Club (As Gaelige)
1. Breandán Mac an Bheatha Brendan McVeigh An Ríocht
2. Dónal Mac Artáin Daniel McCartan Boireann
3. Dónall Mac Mhuirneacháin Dan Gordon Loch an Oileáin
4. Damien Ó Raifeartaigh Damian Rafferty Seamrogaí an Íuir
5. Deaglán Ó Ruanaidh Declan Rooney Boireann
6. Caoimhín Mac Thiarnáin Kevin McKernan Boireann
7. Conchúr Ó Gairbhith Conor Garvey Droichead Mhaigh Éo
8. Ambrós Mac Ruairí Ambrose Rogers Cloch Fhada
9. Colm Ó Cionga Kalum King Áth Bhriain
10. Dónal Ó hAodha Daniel Hughes Sabhaill
11. Marcas Mac Póilín Mark Poland Cloch Fhada
12. Pól Mac Cumascaigh Paul McComiskey Dún Droma
13. Breandán Ó Coltáir Brendan Coulter Droichead Mhaigh Éo
14. Seán Ó Cléirigh John Clarke An Ríocht
15. Mairtín Ó Cléirigh Martin Clarke An Ríocht
16. Deaglán Alder Declan Alder Ceathrú Aodha Dhuibh
17. Aodhán Ó Ceara Aidan Carr Cluain Dáimh
18. Seamás Mac Colgan James Colgan An Ríocht
19. Lúcás Ó hÍomhair Luke Howard Áth Bhriain
20. Breandán Mac Árdghail Brendan McArdle Eanach Chluáin
21. Darren Ó hÁgáin Darren O'Hagan Cluain Daimh
22. Marcas Ó Deoráin Mark Doran Cloch Fhada
23. Peadar Mac Giolla Phádraig Peter Fitzpatrick Baile Mhairtín
24. Rónán Ó Seasnáin Ronan Sexton Droichead Mhaigh Éo
25. Conchúr Mag Fhinn Conor Maginn Áth Bhriain
26. Jason Mac an Bhreithiún Jason Brown Cluain Dáimh
27. Rónán Mac Muireartaigh Ronan Murtagh Baile Cholmáin
28. Gary Mac Árdghail Gary McArdle Eanach Chluáin
29. Aodhán Ó Brannagáin Aidan Brannigan Cill Chua
30. Conchúr Mac Laibheartaigh Conor Laverty Cill Chua

DownFanatic

1960: Down 2-10 Kerry 0-8 (All-Ireland final)

Down's first All-Ireland senior title was also the first time Sam Maguire crossed the Border.

The Mourne men's triumph was achieved in easier-than-expected circumstances with an eight-point victory over defending champions Kerry.

It was Kerry's biggest ever All-Ireland defeat in a final up to then, although Offaly went a point better (1-19 to 0-13) in the 1972 replay.

Two second-half goals by Down clinched the 1960 final, launching what was regarded as one of the best sides in football history.

Down -- E McKay; G Lavery, L Murphy, P Rice; K Mussen (capt), D McCartan, K O'Neill; J Carey, J Lennon; S O'Neill, J McCartan, P Doherty; T Hadden, P O'Hagan, B Morgan. Sub: K Denvir for Lennon.

Kerry -- J Culloty; J O'Shea, N Sheehy, T Lyons; Sean Murphy, K Coffey, M O'Dwyer; M O'Connell, J O'Connor; Seamus Murphy, T Long, P Sheehy (capt); G McMahon, John Dowling, T Lyne. Subs: Jack Dowling for John Dowling, J Brosnan for McMahon, D McAuliffe for Lyne.

1961: Down 1-12 Kerry 0-9 (All-Ireland semi-final)

"Being beaten in 1960 was a lesson for Kerry in how times were changing, but it wasn't heeded," recalled Mick O'Dwyer.

"Once again, there was a sense that everything would come right for us, just as it always seemed to. Physically, Down were much stronger and we reckoned that they must have done some weight training, which would have been unheard of in other parts of the country."

The match was level at half-time, but Kerry scored just one point in the second half, while Down kicked seven points.

Down went on to win the final, beating Offaly before an attendance of 90,556, a record for a GAA game.

1968: Down 2-12 Kerry 1-13 (All-Ireland final)

The scoreline did not reflect Down's superiority. A goal from a free late on by Brendan Lynch cut the margin to two points, but Down had been the dominant force for most of the game.

Goals by Sean O'Neill and John Murphy sent Down on their way to a 2-7 to 0-5 lead at half-time, an advantage which proved more than enough to give a Joe Lennon-captained side their third championship win of the decade over the Kingdom.

Down -- D Kelly; B Sloan, D McCartan, T O'Hare; R McConville, W Doyle, J Lennon (capt); J Milligan, C McAlarney; M Cole, P Doherty, J Murphy; P Rooney, S O'Neill, J Purdy. Subs: L Powell for Lennon, G Glynn for Powell.

Kerry -- J Culloty; Seamus Murphy, P O'Donoghue, S Burrows; Denis O'Sullivan, M Morris, Donie O'Sullivan; M O'Connell, M Fleming; B Lynch, P Griffin (capt), E O'Donoghue; T Prendergast, DJ Crowley, M O'Dwyer. Subs: P Moynihan for Prendergast, S Fitzgerald for Burrows.

1991: Down 2-9 Kerry 0-8 (All-Ireland semi-final)

Down had to wait 23 years after 1968 to return to the All-Ireland final, which they achieved with their fourth championship win over Kerry.

The Ulster champions trailed by a point at half-time, but Kerry managed just one point in the second half and were sunk by a late scoring burst, including a second goal from Peter Withnell.

It was Pat Spillane's last game for Kerry and he later reflected: "I spent the last 20 minutes of my Kerry career at full-forward. I could have sat down in an armchair because with Kerry persisting with a short passing, running game I saw virtually nothing of the ball."

Down, with current manager, James McCartan at left full-forward, went on to win the All-Ireland, beating Meath in the final.

Down -- N Collins; B McKernan, C Deegan, P Higgins; J Kelly, DJ Kane, P O'Rourke; B Breen, E Burns; R Carr, G Blaney, G Mason; M Linden, P Withnell, J McCartan. Subs: L Austin for Burns, A Rodgers for Withnell.

Kerry -- C Nelligan; S Stack, T Spillane, K Culhane; S Burke, C Murphy, M Nix; N O'Mahony, A O'Donovan; J Cronin, P Spillane, J O'Shea; P Dennehy, M Fitzgerald, T Fleming. Sub: D Lyne for Murphy.

- Martin Breheny

Irish Independent