All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2010, 12:02:58 PM
When you compare 2009 to today Jack has put great trust in his bench with 5 of last years subs starting on Sat including O'Mahony, and I'm sure when the time comes those currently on the bench serving their apprenticeships will be well able to step up to the mark.

I would have thought he's been forced to play his bench rather than put great trust in them.

Missing Galvin, Walsh, Kennelly and 2 O'Ses from 2009. It's not trust - it's necessity.

While Kerry should win this match that team wouldn't strike the fear of God ina team like Tyrone. I think any team with a Kerry jersey on would strike the fear of God in Cork mind. This is as good a chance as Down will get to beat Kerry.

AZOffaly

Nonetheless Mike, it is a valid point. If a bench was truly strong, you would not be getting lads out of retirement/exile to fill gaps, you would be able to cover for it from within the panel.

However, I do think that these are exceptional players, and exceptional circumstances, particularly in the case of McCarthy. Centre back was one area where Kerry were exposed, and they did not have a bench to fill the gap. That's self evident.

I think the strength of Kerry's bench is in the non-core positions. Lads like the Barry Johns and the likes of Kieran O'Leary, Darren O'Sullivan, Pauric Reidy etc are perfectly able subs for wing forward, corner back etc, but Kerry's bench is not so strong that they have a ready made Centre Back, Centre Forward, even Midfielder, sitting there champing at the bit.

Kerry Mike

we have always had a percieved lack of cover on the bench for the backs, its no different this year, and while the full back line does lack cover with Reidy's enforced absense both Young and O'Mahony are no strangers to that line and even Bohan did a great job in Full back a few years ago against Galway when needed and Adrian OConnell will step up if called upon in the half line

Midfield has both Moran and Maher available and though not household names they have been the back up the last few years and will do a job when called upon, the forward cover also looks light but Barry John has done well in all his outings to date and O'Leary is another who given the opportunity will thrive.

We are where we are and will see on Sat if we have the strength or not.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

QuoteThat'd be like Osama Bin Laden settling in the Sistine Chapel

Those Rockies are clannish alright.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

Quotethat team wouldn't strike the fear of God ina team like Tyrone

Tyrone would be best worring about the Jackeens and not how we line out  ;)
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

snoopdog

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2010, 12:55:02 PM

Id say saturday will see the shift in Ulster teams traditionally supporting eachother. after they beat Down in Belfast their support were very arrogant. I for one will be cheering on the Dubs.The sooner their PUKE football is killed off the better.

Kerry Mike

QuoteThe sooner their PUKE football is killed off the better.

Pat Spillane would be proud of you..
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Nally Stand

Quote from: snoopdog on July 29, 2010, 01:54:59 PM

Id say saturday will see the shift in Ulster teams traditionally supporting eachother. after they beat Down in Belfast their support were very arrogant. I for one will be cheering on the Dubs.The sooner their PUKE football is killed off the better.

I suppose you can't wait to the Sunday Game to see what Pat Spillane tells you to think next?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

redandblack4ever

I don't understand why Down people would cheer for Dublin. I was always taught to cheer for Ulster teams no matter who they were playing. I will admit that I don't like Armagh, but if they were in a quarter-final, semi-final, or All Ireland Final, I would definitely be pulling for them.

I'm looking forward to both games on Saturday morning. Thank God Setanta is televising the two of them. It'll be a rather early start to the day, 8:00 am, my heart is with Down, but the brain tells me that Kerry will win this.

Good luck to both Down and Tyrone on Saturday.

Mrs. redandblack4 ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

western exile

Quote from: amallon on July 28, 2010, 10:31:59 PM
Down need everyone playing in top gear on Saturday and even at that its a big ask.  Its hard to believe Benny Coulter has never faced Kerry in his whole career at any level.  I suppose its indicitave of where Down have been in that period.

PP Odds.
Kerry  3/10 
Draw  10/1 
Down  3/1
Most have Down at 3/1.
Mulhollands in Galway have them at 10/3 and bookie in Castlebar at 4/1. There must be stronger belief in West that Kerry can't be beaten  8)

mountainboii

Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 29, 2010, 02:50:59 PM
I was always taught to cheer for Ulster teams no matter who they were playing.

Why?

EC Unique

Not arrogant, just knew we were better ;)... I will be shouting for Down.

snoopdog

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2010, 02:01:37 PM

I suppose you can't wait to the Sunday Game to see what Pat Spillane tells you to think next?

If you have to win an All Ireland by playing the Tyrone way then it aint worth it.
I would rather listen to Pat that that scruffy t.wat that writes in the irish news every friday.
Some counties have a tradition and reputation to uphold.

T O Hare

Quote from: snoopdog on July 29, 2010, 04:09:54 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2010, 02:01:37 PM

If you have to win an All Ireland by playing the Tyrone way then it aint worth it.
I would rather listen to Pat that that scruffy t.wat that writes in the irish news every friday.
Some counties have a tradition and reputation to uphold.

Trust me all Down folk are not this bad!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Feckitt

The more the week goes on, the more I'm thinking Down have a chance.

When Kerry won the AIF last year, Down were not even thinking about playing them never mind beating them, but since then

1. New manager
2. New centre half forward
3. New confidence and a bit of flair
4. Down are coming off the back of a big win
5. Kerry have been sitting round for 4 weeks doing nothing
6. No Dara O'Se
7. No Tomas O'Se
8. No Paul Galvin
9. No Tadgh Kennelly
10. No Tommy Walsh

If Kerry played Down last September they would have won by 30 points. 
But now...who knows!
It's all set up for Down, they will never have a better chance.