All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDooperCooper

Amazing the Indo waited until Thursday to roll out the lazy journalism.

Frank Casey

I'd say that what with the height of history and all our unavailables through retirements and mid term breaks we're shagged. And that's pure true.
KERRY 3:7

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Frank Casey on July 29, 2010, 10:16:01 PM
I'd say that what with the height of history and all our unavailables through retirements and mid term breaks we're shagged. And that's pure true.

Ah now Frank, I thought that that level of cute hoorism was the exclusive domain of the Langers; yerra, you are not too bad at all at it yourselves  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Frank Casey

And shure I might as well stay on for the premier event on Saturday to see the real champions while I'm at it. Hopefully the Massey Ferguson won't be clamped on Jones Road while I'm inside. Although if the throw in is put off to the usual 4.30 I might have to head west early to milk the sheep.
KERRY 3:7

comethekingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2010, 09:48:21 PM
Jeez, Spillane's 'mastery' of the English language is shocking:

QuoteSpillane makes light of history

Flashback to 1991 as Kerry's Pat Spillane closes in on Down's DJ Kane during the All Ireland semi final at Croke Park
29 July 2010

"When we were on top there was no trace of Down, in the 1970s and 1980s. If there had of been they would have been destroyed."[/b]
Yet Spillane gives the Down record against Kerry high praise. "It will give them confidence and be sure that Jack (O'Connor) will be mentioning it in his team talks this week."

Had OF been, WTF?  ???  :P

Since when did Tyrone people become masters of the english language and use proper grammer all the time??

Puckoon

Thats the man from Strabane you are talkin' til' Sir.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on July 29, 2010, 10:43:24 PM

Flashback to 1991 as Kerry's Pat Spillane closes in on Down's DJ Kane during the All Ireland semi final at Croke Park
29 July 2010

"When we were on top there was no trace of Down, in the 1970s and 1980s. If there had of been they would have been destroyed."[/b]
Yet Spillane gives the Down record against Kerry high praise. "It will give them confidence and be sure that Jack (O'Connor) will be mentioning it in his team talks this week."

Since when did Tyrone people become masters of the english language and use proper grammer all the time??

grammer? WTF!  ???  :P

Edit Not the first time I've caught you on a hook these past few days comethekingdom. What you should have come back with was that it was the Irish Times hack, and not Spillane who had committed that particular faux pas to paper  ;)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

comethekingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2010, 10:55:43 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on July 29, 2010, 10:43:24 PM

29 July 2010

grammer? WTF!  ???  :P
Hould on there sir - we don't claim to be experts in english !!

Donnellys Hollow

29 July 2010

Pat Spillane believes Down's 100 per cent winning record against Kerry in the championship will count for little on Saturday.

The Mournemen have recorded victories over the Munster giants in each of their four previous championship meetings, the last of which came in 1991 when Peter Whitnall bagged two goals in a 2-9 to 0-8 All-Ireland semi-final win, which also happened to be Spillane's last game for the Kingdom.

Speaking to the Irish Times, Spillane mused: "The Down thing? Ah, the past is the past. That is more a creation of the media. Sure Kerry have never beaten Fermanagh (who they've never met in the championship).

"When we were on top there was no trace of Down, in the 1970s and 1980s. If there had of been they would have been destroyed."

Spillane has vivid memories of the aforementioned 1991 All-Ireland semi-final and partly blames Mick O'Dwyer for the Kingdom's demise that day.

"It was the poorest Kerry team I played on in 17 years. It was the last remains of O'Dwyer. He held on to everyone for so long that they all left at the same time - I think I was the last to go. It left a big vacuum as young fellas had not been blooded."

"We caught Cork by surprise in the semi-final and struggled past Limerick to win Munster. And then Maurice Fitz (Gerald) had a rare off day from frees against Down, but the game was still in the balance until the last 10 minutes."

With Darragh O Se, Tadhg Kennelly, Diarmuid Murphy and Tommy Walsh no longer involved and Paul Galvin and Tomas O Se serving suspensions, Spillane believes Kerry are especially vulnerable at the moment.

"This is the day Kerry will be at their weakest. They stumbled over Limerick and badly missed Paul Galvin, getting destroyed in midfield because he was not there to gobble up all the breaks. And now Tomás is gone. Kerry to win but in a close, competitive game," he added.

Didn't Kerry beat Fermanagh in the qualifiers in 2002?

I have a vague memory of them playing each other in Portlaoise that year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kerry Mike

We were lucky winnners, 2-15 to 0-04 against Fermanagh in 02.

Westmeath, Donegal and Kilkenny are the 3 teams we have not ever played in championship football.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

bcarrier

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 29, 2010, 08:56:23 PM

Spillane has vivid memories of the aforementioned 1991 All-Ireland semi-final and partly blames Mick O'Dwyer for the Kingdom's demise that day.

"It was the poorest Kerry team I played on in 17 years. It was the last remains of O'Dwyer. He held on to everyone for so long that they all left at the same time - I think I was the last to go. It left a big vacuum as young fellas had not been blooded.

y'see, Pat agrees with me about that '91 team being the worst ever....and he gives short shrift to the whole Down hoodoo thing as wll. Although with Paul and Tomas missing as well as Dara, Tommy and Tadgh gone I fear that Ulsters most deceitful opportunists may have timed their run perfectly again.

He didnt say it was the worst Kerry Team ever just the worst he played on. Any team with the great Pat Spillane on it couldnt be worst Kerry team ever :).

Bit of a split amongst Kerry folk about this match...about 90% think its the handiest draw ever and then there a few like Mike and the boul Pat getting their excuses in early. 

snoopdog

Id say there will be very little sleep got in Down tonight. I woke up in a cold sweat about 4 this morning with the Gooch bearing down on goal after skipping past big Dan.
All this b0llox of never loosing to Kerry will mean nothing tomorrow, its ancient History. Its a brilliant boast to have especially as no one else can say it, even after tomorrow if its at 4-1 its still a great bit of history to have, but it means nothing.Records are made to be broken.
Down people are just delighted to be back at this stage and finally we may get a bit of recognition for a great season with the only blot being our poor 50 minutes against Tyrone.
Wee james no matter what happens tomorrow has doner a great job with this team. Its only a year since we couldnt get out of Aughrim.
This young team will learn alot from tomorrow, hopefully it wont be a harsh lesson.
But we also have Kerry,Cork,Dublin,Armagh,Galway,Mayo and Monaghan in the league next year, games that will bring them on no end.
Best of luck to Wee James and the boys tomorrow and i hope there will be a big crowd in for this game as i expect it to be a cracker.
Will the dubs prove they are GAA fans tomorrow by going in for both matches. I hope they do.
Best of luck to all involved tomorrow especially the men from the Kingdom of Mourne.

blanketattack

Quote from: snoopdog on July 30, 2010, 09:46:50 AM
Id say there will be very little sleep got in Down tonight. I woke up in a cold sweat about 4 this morning with the Gooch bearing down on goal after skipping past big Dan.
All this b0llox of never loosing to Kerry will mean nothing tomorrow, its ancient History. Its a brilliant boast to have especially as no one else can say it, even after tomorrow if its at 4-1 its still a great bit of history to have, but it means nothing.Records are made to be broken.

The big worry is that Down and Tyrone might both have a 4-1 record against Kerry after this year!

Mourne Rover

Previous records count for very little, as no members of the present Down and Kerry squads have faced each other in championship football or indeed, as far as I can recall, at league level either. It would be more of a concern that the last three Down senior teams to play at Croke Park (v Offaly NFL D2 final 04, Wexford qualifier 08 and Armagh NFL D2 final this year), all including a range of tomorrow´s team, all lost.

The big question is whether the Down defence has strengthened sufficiently to restrict Kerry to a managable total. While this year´s NFL stats confirm a singnificant improvement at the back, there can no guarentee that we have the pace and experience to cope tomorrow.

However, we have a potentially excellent midfield and our forwards are coming into form at the right time. If we don´t concede any silly goals, anything is possible.