All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 31, 2010, 11:53:48 PM
Quote from: Estimator on July 31, 2010, 11:42:36 PM
How many of that Tyrone team were part of the 2004 All-Ireland minor winning team? Is Raymie Mulgrew still about the panel? And of the 2008 team could more of those have been blooded over the last couple of years.  I know P Harte has made a few appearances, but what about Coney and McKenna?

There is a wealth of talent aged below 23/24 in Tyrone but their potential has been dulled by failure of the u21 setup for the last 3 years and the lack of inclusion at senior county level as Tyrone have largely persited with the same group of players. 

i also feel this failure has been very costly in terms of players progressing onto the senior stage.
the county board needs to act soon regarding the u-21 setup and make some brave decisions.

johnpower

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 31, 2010, 11:53:48 PM
Quote from: Estimator on July 31, 2010, 11:42:36 PM
How many of that Tyrone team were part of the 2004 All-Ireland minor winning team? Is Raymie Mulgrew still about the panel? And of the 2008 team could more of those have been blooded over the last couple of years.  I know P Harte has made a few appearances, but what about Coney and McKenna?

There is a wealth of talent aged below 23/24 in Tyrone but their potential has been dulled by failure of the u21 setup for the last 3 years and the lack of inclusion at senior county level as Tyrone have largely persited with the same group of players. 

P Harte has been brought into the team and he is an exceptional talent.  R McNabb is another class player not sure if he is still in the senior squad.  Red Sean O'Neill has had a few opportunities to show his talent but like D Carlin he has struggled to gain a permanent place.  McKenna is another exceptional talent but has had little opportunity to develop at county level, not sure that Coney will be able to step up to senior level. 

Time will tell if the underage players can transfer to senior level but it will require them to be given an opportunity to gain experience beyond club level.  Quite a few will gain much from college football.

U 21 is overated . You need a guys who are going to develop once they get into their 20 "s . A lot of guys boss the underage scene and then fade away  . The best senior  teams are usually blends of various underage teams . This player of the year is a bit of a curse at this stage

the processor

Quote from: The Worker on July 31, 2010, 11:56:05 PM
How come Harte was so slow to make the changes?

we are all quick to praise harte when things go well, he doesn't deserve any today. Game lost on the line for sure.......

Maguire01

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 01, 2010, 12:06:15 AM
Would pulling Dooher ashore have been a bad signal to the crowd and team when the team was under such pressure?
Such a move can have a big impact. It's like when Finlay was taken off in the Ulster final; it meant a lot more than a substitution.

DUBSFORSAM1

Have to admit enjoyed reading all the comments about Tyrone going to win easily before the game as reminded me of 2008 in reverse...After being at the game I've a couple of questions for Tyrone fans as I can't understand the concept...

1 - Does Harte have no faith in your defenders to go one on one against a forward line as it's the first time I've seen a team line up with 7 defenders at the throw in for the 2nd half?
2 - Does Harte have any faith in your midfielders to win ball as there wasn't to my recollection one ball kicked to them in the whole game?

Maguire01

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 01, 2010, 12:17:46 AM
Have to admit enjoyed reading all the comments about Tyrone going to win easily before the game as reminded me of 2008 in reverse...After being at the game I've a couple of questions for Tyrone fans as I can't understand the concept...

1 - Does Harte have no faith in your defenders to go one on one against a forward line as it's the first time I've seen a team line up with 7 defenders at the throw in for the 2nd half?
2 - Does Harte have any faith in your midfielders to win ball as there wasn't to my recollection one ball kicked to them in the whole game?
The same for a lot of the Monaghan game with the short kick-outs.

clarshack

when mugsy equalised to make it 0-13 each - the subsequent kickout from cluxton was poor and it should have been a straight forward catch for brian dooher (you dont see this on tv) but his legs had gone and he has unable to jump to catch it (although he did try) and this led to the build up to o'garas goal. a fresh pair of legs could well have prevented this goal.

Carmen Stateside

If Penrose had of finished to the net just before half time Dublin would have been gone.  In fact i think the Dub keeper got a hand to it.  Hughes was well of the pace today.

Slim

How many men had a double on Down and Dublin today I wonder?

I backed Down all the way, was convinced it was going to be Down's day but I wasn't sure on the tyrone game.  Thought though Tyrone would see it through but not to be.

I think Dublin's name was on it today.  As has already been pointed out, there was heavy number of wides for tyrone today.  I feel if 20/25% of those went over, Tyrone would have held out.  Sean Cavanagh had perhaps the worst game I have seen him play, and that undoubtedly played its part on the outcome. Sean Cavanagh has had a very poor year in my opinion but look in fairness to the man, thats us comparing him to the high standards he has set in previous years.  He in no way is overrated. An amazing player.  In saying that, you are only as good as your last game, and in Sean Cavanagh's case his "rating" may drop a little after this year. That may ony serve to benefit him.

Dublin's goal was also fortunate. Came of the post nicely for O'Gara.  The only thing O'Gara did all day it has to be said, though I never expected him to do much when playing against good defenders.

If I was a tyrone man I wouldnt be in too much despair. If my county had the current team of players, and talent level coming through I would be looking forward to the future.

Cassidy is also to come back into things after his unfortunate ankle injuries. If he was playing today would the result have been the same?

I always hear how some of the tyrone players arent rated inside the county.  How many are we talking about here really??

MR99

Switching Cavanagh or Penrose with 15 to go with McCllagh would have made such a difference.  He has tormented Dublin anytime he has played against them and would have caused consternation in the Dublin defence.  He quit at te end of last year because he felt he wasn't getting a fair chance, Harte persuaded him out of retirement but I'd say he wont this time.  We have lost a player that could have won us another all-ireland or 2 if only Micky would have had the faith.

The key turning point for me today was when Penrose took the 35 yard free kick with 7 or 8 to go and took it short when it was very scorable, would have put us level ot 1 up, but we got turned over and then Dublin got the next score.

Orangemac

Fair play to Dublin.Really didn't see this one coming based on Dublin's displays to date ( maybe Armagh aren't that far away  :D).

Dublin got a bit of luck with the 2 goal chances at either end but sometimes you earn a bit of luck. B Brogan was unreal today and they have definitely unearthed a few stars in the likes of McMahon and O Carroll.

It finally seems to be all about the team rather than a few pinup boys who can turn it on, on agood day but go missing when the chips are down.

When Mulligan equalised with 7 minutes or so to go Tyrone had been on top for 10 mins or so but had kicked some appalling wides.
Decision making today was worst I have seen in a long time for Tyrone. Generally passes are accurate, shot selection is good etc.

A bad day at the office or once to the well too often for some of the players?

Not stirring or anything but could there be a spillover in terms of Cavanagh and Harte from last year? Anyone can have an off day but Cavanagh has not been at his usual high standards all year.

What is encouraging is that 24 hours ago it was assumed that Kerry/Tyrone were so far ahead of everyone else (bar Cork). Both Down and Dublin ran at their opponents defences which have both started to show their age and were rewarded for positive attacking ( although both played with 11/12 men behind the ball when needed).

Either way if any of this Tyrone team call it a day they owe no one anything. Tyrone at least seem to have players coming through and seem to be in a better position than Kerry for 2011.

INDIANA

dublin were due a few breaks. Having had none for 5 years. Watched it again we deserved it . Hunted in packs and tackled manfully. Tyrones tactics were a disaster. You cant win a match on short kickouts. Played right into  our hands. Surprised at harte. We also have bernard brogan. Tyrone no longer have a marquee forward

tyroneman

Hugely dissapointing day at HQ. Prob the worst Tyrone performance since Laois in 2006. Dublin were hungry and fit but to be honest they are a workmanlike side with 1-2 very good player. Nothing more.

No complaints about the ref. Thought he let game run ok.

Goal at ht would have ended the match but sometimes luck isn't with you.

The forward unit bar Mugsy and Penrose today were abysmal. A key feature of this Tyrone team has been the patience to work the ball into a high percentage scoring zone. Too often yesterday we took very poor option shooting from distance and ridiculous angles. If it doesn't work the first town you need to take easy scores to settle down. One of the reasons for this wasthe lack of options as we broke forward. 

Dooher I'm afraid was a shadow if himself and has been this year. S Cav too has been very very average and I had to laugh seeing him at 3/1 for player of the year before yesterday.

Thought the backs did well enough. Scoreline flattered Dublin a bit as they got a very lucky goal and points tagged on at end when we were chasing the game. They gave the forwards plenty of ball to work with and were let down.

I don't think this is the end for Tyrone however it could well be 3-4 years before we challenge the top teams again. We need to unearth two scoring forwards and a playmaker. Coney could yet fit the bill.

Anyhow the AI is Corks to lose. They would need some lack of b@lls not to take their chance now.

Hound

Absolutely delighted!!

I was feeling pretty negative in the first half. Got a good start to keep us in it, but even early on I thought Tyrone are too good for us.

But we kept with them in the 2nd half, and with Tyrone hitting plenty of wides, there was just the inkling of a chance we might nick it. When Al Brogan was taken off I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach! Unbelievable. Must admit that I cursed O'Gara out of it at times  :-[   but the boy got the big score.

It all worked out in the end. Fantastic win for us. I have no idea how good the Rossies are. Cork are the best team left, the other 4 are much of a muchness, so everyone has a chance.

Pups

Up the dubs!!! Very happily surprised. Couldn't believe the cockyness of some of the boys on here. Confidence yes and you were right to be confident. I think to suggest that but for the wides you would have won is wrong. Dublin scored lots of wides too remember. Most of the wides you got were forced as our lads chased you down. There was a bit of panic from your lads that I've not seen before. The consensus was (from some of your heartbroken supporters back in meaghers) was that tactically Gilroy outsmarted Harte and our boys out tyroned yis. I agree. As Brolly says nothing can take away from that win.