All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

QuoteSome article by Brolly on Dooher today in the GL.

Brolly wrote that Dooher in between fixing up old cows and spending hours on end in a deep freezer spends his spare time dressed up as a buxum old lady in a floral dress running around farmers fields wearing a funny terminator mask when he should be working and then he goes off to do a biteen of training with the county team. I may have picked this up wrong but I can never understand the ramblings of Brolly anyway.

I bought that Gaelic Life yoke today in the hope of getting some deep meaningful understanding of Ulster football or the GAA in General and all I found out was in the Ulster team of the week there were 3 women, it went straight into the fecking recycling bin after that!!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

comethekingdom

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 30, 2010, 05:28:54 PM

Brolly wrote that Dooher in between fixing up old cows and spending hours on end in a deep freezer spends his spare time dressed up as a buxum old lady in a floral dress running around farmers fields wearing a funny terminator mask when he should be working and then he goes off to do a biteen of training with the county team. I may have picked this up wrong but I can never understand the ramblings of Brolly anyway.

I bought that Gaelic Life yoke today in the hope of getting some deep meaningful understanding of Ulster football or the GAA in General and all I found out was in the Ulster team of the week there were 3 women, it went straight into the fecking recycling bin after that!!

Proper place for it Mike! Why did you waste your hard earned euros on it?

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2010, 04:23:16 PM
Dubs to have their moments, maybe a goal or two, but Tyrone's array of scoring options will see enough of the round thing going over the black thing. Something like Tyrone 0-17 Dublin 2-8.

Our experience over the years has developed into a rule of thumb. Stop Dublin scoring goals and you'll beat them. So I had a look there to see if it holds any water (they finally have a reasonably good searchable results database on gaa.ie).

The Mayo game in 2006 is the only match since 1985 in which they scored 2 goals and lost.

They have scored one goal and lost in eleven of their 72 championship matches since 1975. On the other hand, there are only 24 matches in which they scored one goal, so they lost nearly as often as they won when scoring one.

The two-goal rule looks interesting, though it may be that the statistics are similar for any team scoring two goals.

(These statistics don't include qualifiers, due to the eccentricities of the gaa.ie database).

Kerry Mike

I was buying some bedding for the goldfish, and it was cheaper.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 30, 2010, 05:43:12 PM
I was buying some bedding for the goldfish, and it was cheaper.

Could only be good for them.
Boil the Drawers!

Mickeys beard

Quote from: J OGorman on July 30, 2010, 02:25:00 PM
Quote from: Mickeys beard on July 30, 2010, 12:57:53 AM
Just done a bet on Hughes to score first goal at 25/1 and another at
Hughes to get last score of game at 25/1. with paddypower.  unfortunately couldn't do a combo!

MB, if you canny get a combo with Paddy Power online, ring the hooers and they will give you combo odds over the phone
cheers
Boil the Drawers!

red hander

Quote from: comethekingdom on July 30, 2010, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 30, 2010, 05:28:54 PM

Proper place for it Mike! Why did you waste your hard earned euros on it?

Hard earned euros? What, ripping off American tourists?

Kerry Mike

QuoteHard earned euros? What, ripping off American tourists?

Whist...there were a few Northern sounding tourists as well.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

giveherlong

A friend has a spare Cusack Stand ticket if anyone is interested.

Contact him at:

djward200@yahoo.co.uk

Hardy

So I did just a quick comparison between Dublin and all counties in how they do when they score 2 goals.

Dublin have lost in 15% of matches (2 of 13 matches) where they scored 2 goals, since 1975.

Looking at results in the All-Ireland series in the 2000s, all counties combined have lost 29% of matches (9 of 31) where they scored 2 goals - about twice Dublin's rate.

So maybe there's something in the "stop Dublin scoring (2 or more) goals" thing.

ONeill

Now, there's a challenge for Mickey. Give big O'Gara a  couple of onion rattlers, then set about debunking Hardy's research!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well the sap's rising rightly as the hour draws near.

Weather-wise, it has cleared up here in Dublin after a fairly crappy and wet afternoon. From RTE:

Tomorrow
All areas will have sunny intervals during Saturday but showers in the northwest and west will more widespread during the morning. A few may turn heavy during the day but the showers will become isolated during the evening. Moderate or locally fresh, southwest to west winds. Highest temperatures 16 to 19 degrees Celsius.

I just hope that the 'experienced' Dublin lads who have suffered the recent Championship hammerings in Croke are so psychologically scarred that they inexorably drain the confidence from the whole team in the face of the first Red Hand onslaught  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 30, 2010, 06:27:10 PM
Well the sap's rising rightly as the hour draws near.

Weather-wise, it has cleared up here in Dublin after a fairly crappy and wet afternoon. From RTE:

Tomorrow
All areas will have sunny intervals during Saturday but showers in the northwest and west will more widespread during the morning. A few may turn heavy during the day but the showers will become isolated during the evening. Moderate or locally fresh, southwest to west winds. Highest temperatures 16 to 19 degrees Celsius.

I just hope that the 'experienced' Dublin lads who have suffered the recent Championship hammerings in Croke are so psychologically scarred that they inexorably drain the confidence from the whole team in the face of the first Red Hand onslaught  ;)

Hard to see anything except a Tyrone win. Tomorrow will tell us more about how close this Tyrone team is to the end of the road then anything else. All the pressure is on Tyrone anything other then a comphrehensive vcitory and its the end of the road for them. They have to bear in mind the averageness of what they are facing tomorrow.

ExiledGael