Monaghan v Kildare

Started by Schkite, July 18, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Promises to be a great day, should get 45K-50K there I'd imagine, will be some support for Louth in the 2nd game, the Dubs will love that though..

Venue should favour Kildare, plenty of experience there and there will probably less than 20K at the first game so will be harder again for Monaghan to raise the intensity.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maguire01

Monaghan have had a good few run outs in CP over the past few years as well. Although they've all ended badly.  :-\
Still, nice to have a day out in HQ.

Dinny Breen

Yea but Kildare have often played the opening act in Croke Park, the atmosphere when there is only 15k can be quite surreal,  conscious that the Monaghan back lash will come in the 1st 20 so lack of atmosphere will help quell that plus Kildare are awful starters so we need all the help we can get.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

True enough, Croke Park will be our wake. After (what Souness might say) getting raped by Tyrone, the innocence of our free flowing attacking football and intensity has all but flown the nest for this year.

It might be a thought to have the standard minutes silence, dedicated to the memory of our shattered Anglo Celt aspirations

Donnellys Hollow

Should be a very decent crowd at it. Monaghan have a good travelling support and Dubs/Louth would draw 40,000+ on their own. Bit of a buzz back in Kildare over the past few weeks - outnumbered both Antrim and Derry away from home and plenty of the bandwagon brigade will fancy the short trip up to the big smoke for the day out.

I do think Monaghan will be happy enough with Croke Park though. I think it is easier for a team to raise themselves for a game in HQ than it would be for a game at a provincial ground like Navan.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Main Street

Team meeting tomorrow.
Time for Banty's version of the "blood, toil, tears and sweat" speech.

AZOffaly

I'd worry about Monaghan if they had their hearts set on an Ulster. Getting so soundly beaten after failing to turn up would leave you a bit raw, and it's a big ask to be at a peak level for Kildare the next day, especially as Kildare will be flying psychologically, even if they are a bit tired physically.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Presumably we'll be wearing our changed colours yet again.

Green is the new White!

Onlooker

Donnellys Hollow

Don't tempt fate Onlooker!

Main Street

I hope the ref has it in his heart to give us a few sympathy calls.

Main Street

On short reflection, our Qualifier bouncebackability record is quite good.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2010, 05:27:37 PM
On short reflection, our Qualifier bouncebackability record is quite good.
But our Croke Park record isn't.

Maguire01

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 19, 2010, 04:07:12 PM
Bit of a buzz back in Kildare over the past few weeks - outnumbered both Antrim and Derry away from home and plenty of the bandwagon brigade will fancy the short trip up to the big smoke for the day out.
You definitely didn't outnumber Antrim in Casement - just that Antrim had very little to cheer about. As for Celtic Park, having the majority in a crowd of 3747 is hardly a major achievement.

At the same time, should be a decent crowd next Saturday - just hoping Monaghan's crowd (as well as the team) can lift themselves for another go.