Monaghan v Kildare

Started by Schkite, July 18, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 19, 2010, 07:42:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2010, 05:27:37 PM
On short reflection, our Qualifier bouncebackability record is quite good.
But our Croke Park record isn't.
The bigger issue is recovering from the Final.
I think we have won most every first qualifier we have played in.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2010, 08:43:05 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 19, 2010, 07:42:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2010, 05:27:37 PM
On short reflection, our Qualifier bouncebackability record is quite good.
But our Croke Park record isn't.
The bigger issue is recovering from the Final.
I think we have won most every first qualifier we have played in.

Kildare have never been beaten in a qualifier under McGeeney so something will have to give on Saturday.

Ref is Jimmy White from Donegal apparently.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bennydorano

Fancy Kildare to win fairly handily in this one.  Stop Mongahan half backs marauding forward and that's their gameplan screwed.  Armagh failed to do it because our half forward line had retreated to defend too deep.  Tyrone nailed them time and again in their own half to stop momentum building.  I reckon McGeeney likes the cerebal aspect of management and is a big admirer of Mickey Harte, so i'd say they'll have that game well dissected.  I do think monaghan had all their eggs in the Ulster basket this year and to get so comprehensively humped couldn't be easy to recover from.

Maguire01

There's no doubt the focus was on winning Ulster, but Banty won't want to end his time with Monaghan like this. And hopefully the players will want to show that yesterday was the fluke, not the Armagh and Fermanagh performances.

Main Street

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 19, 2010, 10:26:48 PM
Kildare have never been beaten in a qualifier under McGeeney so something will have to give on Saturday.

Ref is Jimmy White from Donegal apparently.
I was more digging for evidence that the team can put a disappointing game behind them and meet a competitive challenge rather than looking for a consoling statistic to support the idea that we can beat Kildare.
Even if we had beaten Tyrone and met Kildare in the 1/4 finals, I would not have been confident of beating them. I was really impressed by them when they beat us in the league and I fancied Kildare to do well in the championship that year.

We got back on track quick enough after losing the Ulster final in 2007. I won't write us off just yet.
Playing this competitive game in Croke Park gives it some aura of intensity which Monaghan probably need more than Kildare.

donelli

EUR 30 in for this game  :o (EUR 20 if you want to brave it with the dubs on the hill).

Maguire01

Bloody hell - more expensive than the Ulster final!

Dinny Breen

Loose change to us Kildare folk
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Sure ye have that floating around in the ashtray of the 4x4 Dinny. Unless ye've tipped the maid (oo er) with it.

Dinny Breen

She's back in Moldova on holidays..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

You should have said 'Dublin' :D

Dinny Breen

we can afford more than that..
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Best odds on qualifiers at present (no Betfair market yet):

Louth 16/5 Boylesports
Dublin 4/9 Ladbrokes

Kildare 10/11 Ladbrokes
Monaghan 5/4 Paddypower

Down 10/11 Ladbrokes/Paddypower
Sligo 6/4 Boylesports

Cork 1/4 Paddypower
Limerick 5/1 Boylesports

thebandit

The Konica

My only change to that would be Louth, Bandit.

I know it's Croker, but I think Louth'll come out all guns blazing and I can't see the Dubs avoiding overconfidence after last weekend, plus no Ref is going to go too hard on them this weekend and incur more attention.