Galway Races

Started by DennistheMenace, July 15, 2010, 06:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Worth going to ?

Tempted to go this year.

Overthebar!

seriously tempted to go this year, just back from a weekend in galway there. unreal spot for the rip. cheaper than dublin too!

ross4life

Was checking hotel's/B&Bs they are well overpriced for the Races
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DennistheMenace

Quote from: ross4life on July 15, 2010, 06:59:04 PM
Was checking hotel's/B&Bs they are well overpriced for the Races

Supply & Demand at it's work.

Rois

Fantastic week's craic.

Probably heading for the Monday and Tuesday. 

Try a hostel - stayed in Sleepzone a couple of race weeks, basic but dead handy. 

Donnellys Hollow

If you're there on the piss - happy days!

If you're a racing/betting afficionado - get a €50 note and throw it in the fire, if you can stand watching it burn then you're ready for Galway.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: Rois on July 15, 2010, 10:17:06 PM
Fantastic week's craic.

Probably heading for the Monday and Tuesday. 

Try a hostel - stayed in Sleepzone a couple of race weeks, basic but dead handy.

Stayed in Sleepzone basic but ok for a bed for the night, another basic place would be Corrib Village it's student accommodation open to the public in summer
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rois

Coincidence - stayed there too! It was pain in the ass/feet to get home to though.

bridge fan

brilliant weeks craic would defiantly recommend to go
heading for the week and cant wait proably go racing most days staying in tir na gcapall 600 euro for the week which is not bad value between 3 just across the road from the racecoarse bit of a distance from city center but plenty of taxis about

beer baron

Ah it's great craic but if you're a heavy gambler don't bother your hole.
Put on a little 1 euro e/w lucky 15 or something for the interest and just watch the races and have a few drinks,don't go expecting form to count because it doesn't.
In Saying that i got 2 12/1 winners on the thursday last year but was purely fluke  :D  nothin to do with checking the form-the place is a graveyard for punters.
As for accomadation i wouldn't even bother thinking about booking a place,this year im either gonna crash in a friend of a friends house or get full and hope some young las will feel sory for me and give me a bed for the night  :-*.
The only actual tip id give ya for backing horses is give each of dermot welds horse a second look!

DennistheMenace

Going for 4 days, can't wait. Hope the weather is decent but will probably be indoors most of the time anyway.

bcarrier

Its good crack but average racing. No Ruby this year either.

There are usually good deals to be had in halls of residences - the main hotels are still in bubble land. 

Hard to pick winners but Tony Keenans blog probably worth keeping an eye on ...

http://www.irishracingtrends.com/index.html

Main trends for plate from his excellent book published last year are...

Respect C Roche, Noel Meade, W Mullins
6 and 7 yos best
Need an in-form horse, preferably a last time out winner
Oppose suspect stayers
Below 11st best
Unexposed horses NB

not sure if that would have had Ballyholland on shortlist ...

Anyway I am sure Hardy can sort the winner out from those few snippets  :)

maximus

Anybody get anywhere booked at a reasonable price lately Looking somewhere cheap as possible not too fussy for the weeked. Leaving it a bit late I know!

Donnellys Hollow

Stay at home and watch Goodwood on the telly instead.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

maximus

Not really going for the racing to be honest more for the craic. Anybody booked somewhere to stay recently?