The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Will the heat be a huge advantage to anyone really with the majority of players plying their trade in Europe these days. Take Yaya, he's been in Manchester this last 10 months in the rain. He'll have to acclimatise as well.

laoislad

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 14, 2014, 03:27:33 AM
Wouldn't be that surprised if Spain finished third in their but 4 or 5/1 isn't great value. I'm putting a few quid on Ivory Coast to win their group at 7/2. It looks a pretty even group with Japan, Colombia and Greece, but I'm backing Yaya Toure to make the difference. Also, they're playing Greece and Japan up north and the heat should suit them.

England to finish bottom of their group @17/2 is a good bet I think.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hotshot Hamish

Ireland playing well enough v Italy at the moment.
Italy don't look up to much.

JP

Ireland are playing some lovely stuff!! Long just missed a sitter.

Some change in playing style from Trap!! just need the goals and results to back it up.

laoislad

Decent game in fairness. Ireland playing well.
Aquaman gone off injured...Some things never change  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: JP on May 31, 2014, 08:24:24 PM
Ireland are playing some lovely stuff!! Long just missed a sitter.

Some change in playing style from Trap!! just need the goals and results to back it up.
Was a very decent game and Ireland played some grand stuff.
Italy got better in second half but I'd fancy England to beat them. They haven't won in 5 games now.
Looks like Montolivo is out of World Cup with suspected broken leg.

bridgegael

any golden boot tips??  hard to look past messi or aguero giving their group and route after that.  big outsider is Bony @ 100/1.  each way bet on him maybe
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

The Worker

Quote from: bridgegael on June 01, 2014, 09:40:50 AM
any golden boot tips??  hard to look past messi or aguero giving their group and route after that.  big outsider is Bony @ 100/1.  each way bet on him maybe

Dzekos been in good form for club and country this year.

magpie seanie

Some random thought after the couple of friendlies. England might be ok in their group as Italy are decidedly ordinary. Think England have to use their younger players. I reckon Rooney's big tournament troubles are explainable as follows: he needs regular games to keep himself fit. I've seen it over the years at United - if he misses even 10 days it takes him a while to get his match sharpness back. I believe he was terrible the other night and I think that's because he hasn't had a game in a few weeks. Dunno what England's schedule is for the next two weeks but they'd want to get Rooney playing a bit better.

Everythnig should point to Brazil winnig this but I'm not sure Neymar or any of the others are really going to do it when the chips are down. Argentina have such an abundance of talent at heir disposal they have to have a strong chance. Winning the WC in Brazil would be as good as winning 2 world cups for them!

rodney trotter

Italy were without, Buffon, Balotelli, Pirlo, Daniele De Rossi yesterday, so I doubt they would have been very ordinary with those players playing from the start. De Rossi made an appearance in the second half the others didn't , They haven't named their 23 man Squad still have the provisional 30 man squad, probay looking at other players yesterday and giving players like Giuseppe Rossi coming back from injury some game time...

Montolivo will be a loss for the WC though,

Hotshot Hamish

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 01, 2014, 12:00:43 PM
Italy were without, Buffon, Balotelli, Pirlo, Daniele De Rossi yesterday, so I doubt they would have been very ordinary with those players playing from the start. De Rossi made an appearance in the second half the others didn't , They haven't named their 23 man Squad still have the provisional 30 man squad, probay looking at other players yesterday and giving players like Giuseppe Rossi coming back from injury some game time...

Montolivo will be a loss for the WC though,

Buffon wouldn't have made much of a difference to how they played yesterday,plus the goalie they did have made some excellent saves.
De Rossi came on so that only leaves Balotelli and Pirlo who may have made a difference. It was a strong Italy team and they were very poor.
I think England will beat them.

Asal Mor

Quote from: laoislad on May 29, 2014, 09:57:41 PM

I have a few quid on England to top their group at 21/10. I think their players are way ahead of what Italy and Uruguay have. Especially if they go with the younger players. I'd like to see Sterling, Henderson, Barkley and Sturridge all starting. Let them off the leash Roy.

I may well regret it 10 minutes into the first game when they can't string 3 passes together.

Sidney

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 01, 2014, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 29, 2014, 09:57:41 PM

I have a few quid on England to top their group at 21/10. I think their players are way ahead of what Italy and Uruguay have. Especially if they go with the younger players. I'd like to see Sterling, Henderson, Barkley and Sturridge all starting. Let them off the leash Roy.

I may well regret it 10 minutes into the first game when they can't string 3 passes together.
That's it, mate. How many Germany or Italy players would get in the England team? Very few is the answer. If England play either of those teams and England play to anywhere close to their potential, England, or should I say we, win every time.

Syferus

Beating on England performing at a World Cup is like betting on Mayo in an AI final. Those young lads are relatively average in all honesty and better England squads have had their arses handed to them  by similar teams.

Suarez dragged a lock of them to within a kick of a ball of a PL title so why people would overlook his country (with a serious recent and historical WC pedigree) when he has a world class striker like Cavani by his side and a proven WC gamer like Forlan still knocking about is beyond me.