Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2010, 08:22:22 PM
Ian O'Doherty from todays Irish Independent

It's the spirit of the Gael...

One of the things that separates True Gaels from us Dublin-based, city-slicking West Brits is, of course, adherence to Gaelic football.

Indeed, the moral superiority displayed by the GAA-loving, troglodyte turf munchers is how the practitioners and fans of their code are more in tune with old concepts like honour and being a man, while fans of proper football are dismissed as just a bunch of degenerate knackers.

That attitude was best displayed two weeks ago by Antrim coach, Liam Bradley, when he condemned some opposition supporters and said witheringly: "A lot of my players took a lot of flak from supporters. You would have thought it was more of a soccer match than a Gaelic match."

So it was truly, undeniably hilarious to watch the scenes of untrammelled muck savagery in Croker on Sunday.

Fans attacking the ref; police protecting the ref; stewards getting bottled over the head; general carnage and good, old fashioned thuggery were the order of the day.

Yup, they truly do hold the moral high ground, for sure.

Although, in fairness, that melee was a hell of a lot more interesting than the complete dog of a World Cup final which followed ...
Isn't it great that gobshites like Doherty get to guffaw at what was a sporting travesty on Sunday so that he can get a handy article out of it and mock those affected by it. F**king knob.

Puckoon

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2010, 08:22:22 PM
Ian O'Doherty from todays Irish Independent

It's the spirit of the Gael...

One of the things that separates True Gaels from us Dublin-based, city-slicking West Brits is, of course, adherence to Gaelic football.

Indeed, the moral superiority displayed by the GAA-loving, troglodyte turf munchers is how the practitioners and fans of their code are more in tune with old concepts like honour and being a man, while fans of proper football are dismissed as just a bunch of degenerate knackers.

That attitude was best displayed two weeks ago by Antrim coach, Liam Bradley, when he condemned some opposition supporters and said witheringly: "A lot of my players took a lot of flak from supporters. You would have thought it was more of a soccer match than a Gaelic match."

So it was truly, undeniably hilarious to watch the scenes of untrammelled muck savagery in Croker on Sunday.

Fans attacking the ref; police protecting the ref; stewards getting bottled over the head; general carnage and good, old fashioned thuggery were the order of the day.

Yup, they truly do hold the moral high ground, for sure.

Although, in fairness, that melee was a hell of a lot more interesting than the complete dog of a World Cup final which followed ...

What a spiteful piece. Obviously something wrong with this fella.

omagh_gael

I think now It would serve both teams better to move on. If Meath were to offer a replay it should have been done at the latest yesterday morning. The mass hysteria (most of which is coming from people who've probably never attended a league game in their lives) is wearing thin at this stage.

Louth should hammer on in training rev the fcuk out of their misfortune and drive themselves into the quarter finals. Can they meet Meath in the qf? Nearly certain provincial finalists can't meet in qf's?

muppet

He is to journalism what Jedward are to entertainment.

Both have an audience but they cant read yet.
MWWSI 2017

DB_An_Mhi

Personally I think as things stand the 2010 Leinster Title is something of a poisoned chalice. As a Meath supporter I would prefer that the county is known for its nobility and sportsmanship (and offer a replay, play again even if we lost) than as cute you know what's who held on to the prize at all costs.

However it is easy to say that as a 40 yr old supporter (only) who can put things in perspective. It is only a game after all. If you are a player and have worked extremely hard and dreamt of this all your footballing career, it is an entirely different matter. And handing back your first medal/title when there are other factors than a goal to be considered, is very difficult. It would be a seminal event thats for sure. Put yourselves in the players (young) shoes, and think did Louth get any scores which were down to clear referring mistakes (incorrect frees); was there a level of belligerence in their play at times which went beyond acceptable standards; did their players show a level of unsportsmanlike behaviour after the game (forget the fans). Goodwill works both ways.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2010, 06:39:51 PM
Wonderful. Leinster championship decided by a judge.
You may well turn out to be correct about this.
I haven't been following developments closely today but someone who has done so tells me that the Louth County Board are reported to be considering all options. If that is true, I presume this could mean a consultation with some wig or other - at the very least.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mac2

mylestheslasher

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 08:25:30 PM
Please dont reproduce anything written by that individual on here.
+1
Empty vessels and all that

Maguire01

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2010, 08:37:11 PM
I haven't been following developments closely today but someone who has done so tells me that the Louth County Board are reported to be considering all options. If that is true, I presume this could mean a consultation with some wig or other - at the very least.
Such an outcome would be equally unsatisfactory. And the title equally tainted.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 08:42:40 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2010, 08:37:11 PM
Such an outcome would be equally unsatisfactory. And the title equally tainted.

Equally tainted for us. Not quite equal for the team that should have won but for an illegal goal but don't have the cup.
MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: Mac2 on July 13, 2010, 08:37:35 PM
If only big Joe had been able to replicate Mayo's finest ever goal..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezlkmUf1c0
super, there were a couple of more funny goals in the Connacht champonship around that time as well.

Louth Exile

Quote from: muppet on July 13, 2010, 08:31:34 PM

On the Money

If only big Joe had been able to replicate Mayo's finest ever goal..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezlkmUf1c0
Not much making me laugh over the last few days, but never saw that before, classic, all the grace and composure that Sheridan showed as well  :D

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 13, 2010, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 13, 2010, 08:31:34 PM

On the Money

Not much making me laugh over the last few days, but never saw that before, classic, all the grace and composure that Sheridan showed as well  :D

That comical but hugely significant goal actually came at the very end of extra time in a replay at the Hyde. Won it for Mayo. At the time I thought Burke fouled Sheerin and should have been a free out. Was an epic game nevertheless.

demusicman

Decision on Meath v Louth replay – Live updates
Written by: Gary Quinn on 12th July 2010

Decision on Meath v Louth replay - Live updates  | read this item
Related News
No Related Post

Tuesday 13th July

21:29 update
We are expecting a statement in the next 30min

Celt_Man

Quote from: demusicman on July 13, 2010, 09:39:20 PM
Written by: Gary Quinn on 12th July 2010

Decision on Meath v Louth replay - Live updates  | read this item
Related News
No Related Post

Tuesday 13th July

21:29 update
We are expecting a statement in the next 30min

Statement from Meath County Board I presume??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010