Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Even Meath weren't offered the courtesy of a view of the referee's report, it seems, even though everybody from GAA HQ to Joe Duffy felt free to invite them to give back the cup on the basis of it. And some of them feeling happy to call them cheats and worse, as well, in the same breath as begging them to be nice.

Bud - that's off-the-wall stuff. I assume you're on the wind-up.

Bud Wiser

QuoteDont know where u get your info, but in his report he clearly states that the goal should not have been allowed and that he made a mistake.

That is where he stopped.  What he should have said was that the goal was a mistake, the final score was Louth 1-10 Meath 0-12.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

fearglasmor

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 12:54:42 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 12:53:07 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 12:45:32 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 12:29:09 PM
Magpie Seanie, is it not fair to say that what gets reviewed using video evidence is exclusively issues of player discipline or indiscipline. As a parallel, rugby has citing commissioners who deal with issues of discipline after the event, but I dont think they have any role in reviewing the scores.

You are right that committees award games, but they do so on the basis of the referees report. While Mr Sludden may have admitted that he made a mistake, he obviously did not amend his report to delete the Meath goal, therefore the final score still stands.

By that rationale then the suspensions of Galvin and O'Sé recently should not have occurred.

No because the procedures make a very obvious and clear distinction between matters of discipline deciding the outcome of a match.

Do they? I assume you can quote me these so-called procedures or a rule to back up your statement? I'd like to see it because it would be news to me.
I am quite sure that the rule is not drafted well enough to support what I am saying however the precedent is that the cccc reviews issues of discipline, but that is only a side issue.

Your point that committees award matches is true but only on the basis of the referees report, I have not seen it, have you ? But I can only assume that the goal remains in the record.
If you think it is a good idea that an intended disciplinary body be used to decide on scores, then I couldnt agree with that. The principle of hard cases making poor law should be kept in mind.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 12:53:23 PM
I disagree completely and I have outlined clearly, citing the rule book, what the GAA can (and should) do. however, it seems in this case that if they keep sticking to the same mantra (with the aid of an unquestioning media) most people will buy it despite the clear evidence to the contrary. A replay is the path of least resisitance and will bring in a few more quid to pay for security barriers and rule books or "cans of worms" are conveniently fucked out the window in the name of expediency.

Saying sport is often unjust and unfair doesn't make it right that its that way. It shouldn't be. We can all accept getting beaten "fair and square" and shouldn't have to accept being cheated.
Of course we're entitled to disagree, but I think the idea is just mental.

They couldnt just do this for one game. Can you imagine Sligo playing Tyrone in an All Ireland semi-final. The match finishes level. But in the 20th minute Sligo were awarded a point, that television replays show is clearly wide. The CCCC review the video evidence and award the game to Tyrone by 1 point.

You honestly believe that would be fair and just and a proper procedure to take?

mattockranger

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 13, 2010, 01:03:52 PM
Quotewhere can you see the details of referees report???

If your from Louth forget about the referees report and keep yer heads up and go on and win the rest of your games.  You have a massive groundswell of support now, use it.

its just that people are quoting the report...i thought it was in the public domain

and hardstation get off your high horse
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 13, 2010, 01:07:33 PM
QuoteDont know where u get your info, but in his report he clearly states that the goal should not have been allowed and that he made a mistake.

That is where he stopped.  What he should have said was that the goal was a mistake, the final score was Louth 1-10 Meath 0-12.
You should have just got down there and 'landed him on his arse' because you are a hard man.
The mere whiff of Bud's (dutch courage) breath would have knocked Sludden out cold.

JUst retired

Bud wiser, could you please leave the cigarette smugglers out of this row. They have enough to contend with.And are a great help to us smokers.

Bud Wiser

It would be interesting to see it allright, for one reason - I wonder did he put in it what he had to say himself to the Gardai and to those around him whenh he was shouting at the end of the game.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

AZOffaly

Bud, you just want this to reach 100 pages don't you? :D

fearglasmor

Magpie Seanie, is it not fair to say that what gets reviewed using video evidence is exclusively issues of player discipline or indiscipline. As a parallel, rugby has citing commissioners who deal with issues of discipline after the event, but I dont think they have any role in reviewing the scores.

You are right that committees award games, but they do so on the basis of the referees report. While Mr Sludden may have admitted that he made a mistake, he obviously did not amend his report to delete the Meath goal, therefore the final score still stands.

By that rationale then the suspensions of Galvin and O'Sé recently should not have occurred.

No because the procedures make a very obvious and clear distinction between matters of discipline deciding the outcome of a match.

Do they? I assume you can quote me these so-called procedures or a rule to back up your statement? I'd like to see it because it would be news to me.

From the rule book under the section on The Central Competitions Control Committee

(e) It shall have the authority to direct Committees
within Provinces and Counties to enforce the
penalties prescribed in these Rules relating to
Disciplinary Matters arising from Games.

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2010, 01:21:21 PM
Bud, you just want this to reach 100 pages don't you? :D

Nah, his hot hair will fade, he hasn't the stamina for a real fight.

AZOffaly

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:34:24 PM

From the rule book under the section on The Central Competitions Control Committee

What about a), b), c) d) and f) :)

fearglasmor

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2010, 01:36:50 PM

[/quote]

What about a), b), c) d) and f) :)
[/quote]

3.51 The Central Competitions Control Committee
(a) It shall consist of a Chairperson and one member
from each of the four Provinces, appointed by the
Management Committee. These members shall have
a responsibility in relation to each function outlined
in this Rule.
Additionally, the Secretary of each of the four
Provincial Councils, shall be members with joint
responsibility with the other members for the
functions outlined in (b) below.
(b) It shall be responsible for Competition Scheduling
and for Arrangements and Control of Games
(excluding appointment of Referees) under the
jurisdiction of the Central Council.
(c) It shall investigate and process matters relating
to the Enforcement of Rules (including hearing
Objections and Counter Objections) and Match
Regulations arising from Competitions and Games
under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.
(d) It shall investigate and process matters relating to
the Enforcement of Rules (excluding Objections
and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations
arising from Provincial Inter-County Senior
Championship Games.
(f) It shall prepare Match Regulations for the
consideration and decision of the Management
Committee and Central Council.

I think the relevant sections are d and e and e has the effect of qualifying d so that it applies to disciplinary issues.

Maguire01

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:39:12 PM
(a) It shall consist of a Chairperson and one member from each of the four Provinces, appointed by the Management Committee. These members shall have
a responsibility in relation to each function outlined in this Rule. Additionally, the Secretary of each of the four Provincial Councils, shall be members with joint responsibility with the other members for the functions outlined in (b) below.

b) It shall be responsible for Competition Scheduling and for Arrangements and Control of Games (excluding appointment of Referees) under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(c) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (including hearing Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Competitions and Games under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(d) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (excluding Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Provincial Inter-County Senior Championship Games.

(e) It shall have the authority to direct Committees within Provinces and Counties to enforce the penalties prescribed in these Rules relating to Disciplinary Matters arising from Games.

(f) It shall prepare Match Regulations for the consideration and decision of the Management Committee and Central Council.
Looks like it might have some scope to act?

fearglasmor

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 01:44:25 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:39:12 PM
(a) It shall consist of a Chairperson and one member from each of the four Provinces, appointed by the Management Committee. These members shall have
a responsibility in relation to each function outlined in this Rule. Additionally, the Secretary of each of the four Provincial Councils, shall be members with joint responsibility with the other members for the functions outlined in (b) below.

b) It shall be responsible for Competition Scheduling and for Arrangements and Control of Games (excluding appointment of Referees) under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(c) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (including hearing Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Competitions and Games under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(d) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (excluding Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Provincial Inter-County Senior Championship Games.

(e) It shall have the authority to direct Committees within Provinces and Counties to enforce the penalties prescribed in these Rules relating to Disciplinary Matters arising from Games.

(f) It shall prepare Match Regulations for the consideration and decision of the Management Committee and Central Council.
Looks like it might have some scope to act?

I dont think so,  C) I dont think applies to the Leinster Final.  d) does apply,  but e) proscribes that it only has power to direct in relation to disciplinary matters.

Maybe if there are some solicitors out there they could interpret the various sections.